Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Possible to archive iCal events?

Possible to archive iCal events?
hab
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2008, 04:52 PM

Is it possible to archive events in iCal? I have only been able to find instructions on deleting events and my search terms in this forum have been unproductive in finding previous discussions. Thanks.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 05:26 PM

You can create backups and restore from backups with the respective commands in iCal's File menu.

Is that what you mean?

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2008, 04:21 PM

Not really. The idea is that one would have 2 databases - one with current and future events, and the other (the archive) with old, past events that you need to look at infrequently if at all. The Palm Calendar program implemented such an approach early on that continues today with the idea that you do not need the file bloat on your handheld. So, you can regularly "archive" events older than, say, a month. This adds the events to a separate archive calendar on your computer for your records. I guess this approach was not adopted by Apple ...
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2008, 10:38 AM

I believe iSync will only sync future events. Not sure what iTunes does with the iPhone.

In any case, you can move events between calendars in iCal by drag and drop. I'm willing to bet it's possible to AppleScript it, also. So just start your archive calendar and drag your past events into it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules