Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > So I've been asked to film a wedding.

So I've been asked to film a wedding.
alligator
Mac Elite
May 18, 2008, 08:18 PM

I'm not sure how I was suckered into this, but because I made a pretty good DVD from some odd footage of another wedding, I've been asked by a friend to tape his wedding this fall. I know I can do this since I've spent enough time reading up on good filming techniques, but I'm certainly no professional. They know this, but because I'm cheap (free), they'll take what they can get.

What tips can you offer?

Should I rent a special camera (at the groom's expense)?

How realistic is it to get a wireless microphone up front?

What makes a good wedding video (like what the pro's would shoot)?

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 03:07 AM

Seems to me that if you were to rent a special camera at the groom’s expense, the couple might then feel entitled to expect more from you than if they got you for free. Unless you want that additional responsibility on your shoulders, I’d stick with the no-budget approach.

OreoCookie
May 19, 2008, 08:20 AM

If you have the option to rent equipment, then do it.
I was the official wedding photographer at a friend's wedding and she wouldn't give me any budget, so some of the pictures didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. (They were still great, but I like details.) Most importantly, I was missing a tripod and a stronger flash gun.

Just make clear to them that you're not a professional and that it's your second time. As long as you are upfront about it and you like doing it (for yourself and for them), you shouldn't feel any responsibility on your shoulders.

In terms of video, my advice is: don't make it too long. Don't just put the whole ceremony on DVD and that's that
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2008, 09:20 AM

We have done a fair number of small productions here at the studio, but not many weddings, so here are some tips:
* more important then equipment (although that is) is that u have a storyline in your mind going into the shoot. with weddings, it pretty straightforward: shower/bachelor party, arrival at ceremony, ceremony, leaving the ceremony, reception, leaving the reception, etc. Each one of those chapters has discrete shots you want to get: for example for "Ceremony" you want to get the couple walking down the aisle, the ring placement, the kiss, etc..
* when you get into post you can use that storyline to edit and place chapter markers on the important bits (important).
* when you get into production making the DVD, try DVD Studio Pro, it has a bunch of templates for weddings built in. Then use your chapter markers to make the scene selections in the menu.
I think if you do those few things, even if your lighting, exposure, focus, & composition is crap, it will come off halfway decent. If you nail the lighting, exposure, focus, & composition, put that in your portfolio!
Good luck,
FH

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2008, 07:19 PM

Liability:

I had a contract that I used to use when doing this. It basically boiled down to, my only liability was for any monies paid to do the services of filming the wedding and producing the DVD. If you want the actual terms, I can provide that to you.

One of the jobs that I took on was fixing the video of a couple who were dissatisfied with their original videographer.

They had convinced him to give them his unedited tape because he admitted it was a poor job, and they had the footage from a friend's handheld consumer camera, and it had audio where the 'pro' audio cut out, became distorted, etc.

It was a lot of work, but I saved it.

Lesson to others:

This is the wedding. Excepting divorced couples who remarry, you only get one opportunity to shoot this. Have backup equipment. If you have a wireless mic (talk to the person performing the ceremony, churches and synagogues have different rules on these) also have a wired mic. If you can't have a wired mic on the pulpit, get a shotgun mic. If you can, wire into the church PA, and get the mics they already use. The EQ will be rotten, but you'll have a good backup.

Consumer cameras can do wonders these days. If you can't rent pro equipment, use DV consumer grade cameras. Don't use digital zoom. Get some telephoto lenses that will screw to the end of the camera.

Decide how long you intend to shoot for and prepare enough tapes.
I once did 8 tapes of Bar Mitzvah footage.

Think ahead for the story as forumhound says.
If you're going to do the handheld cam and mic asking people to say things for the bride and groom, plan a few prompts, tell me how you met the bride/groom, what story really captures who that person is, what's your best memory of you and bride/groom together?

I am now out of this business - you have to like editing to do it, and after filming 8 hours of tape, editing that tape down to the story and something shorter that they can watch easily was grueling, especially for the pricing for the market.

Whatever you do, DO NOT SHOW PEOPLE any footage before you edit. Do not let them talk you into this.

They're going to see that you shot with the camera pointed at your shoes, that you were out of focus on one test shot, and instead of remembering how perfectly you captured the light, the expression on the bride as the veil was pulled back, they will remember 'what a yutz, he took film of his shoes.'

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2008, 07:32 PM

One thing with video is that, just like with photographs, it's essential to get the wedding party and important relatives 'in' somehow. So you need to think of some way to engage them - a little vox pop of them saying something they loved about the wedding would do, you just need to be more interactive - video of crowd scenes is not compelling television.

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2008, 08:31 AM

Wow, good advice. I'll plan this one out then and add it to my portfolio (which I need to start).

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 10:04 AM

The wedding is today. Wish me luck.

I have the camera and equipment (all mine) set up. It is an outdoor wedding, and guess what? It's going to rain today. This should be fun. Nothing like ruining your own personal equipment for a guy you hardly know.

I made it very, very clear that I'm (1) not a professional; and (2) not a professional. He gets whatever I can do. That said, I should be better than he expects.

How did I ever get myself into this?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2008, 12:09 AM

I hope it worked out well. A contract is always a good thing to have. Verbal agreements, while possibly admissible in the right circumstances, should not be relied upon.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
How did I ever get myself into this?
Probably by creating one piece of work they liked.

Now you have another piece together for your portfolio.

Congrats (and if it rained cats and dogs you must have gotten some interesting shots).

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2008, 01:30 AM

I use iDVD and it several nice wedding templates
45/47

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 02:02 PM

Wow, that was a lot of work. I still have to edit everything, but I have some great footage. The wedding photographer and I hung out during the reception and traded advice. He was a pretty cool guy.

I have a lot of respect for wedding photographers and videographers. That takes work, especially when you really don't know the wedding party.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 11:48 PM

A wedding is a very stressful event for all involved. I've performed for several fortune 100 companies, private parties at some incredible homes for very improtant people with no jitters at all, but even a small a wedding adds grey hairs to my head.

I've also shot some weddings both video and stills and while fun in a lot of respects but the stress is WAY higher than performing.

ewiser
Sep 17, 2008, 05:56 AM

I shot weddings for a while the money that people want to pay is not equal to the time and the stress. Stopped doing it hope they paided you but I doubt it as you say Free. They will expect a full production for nothing you will spend many hours working on the video and they will be very picky.

Advice never do Weddings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules