Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Very dissappointing iPhone purchase today. AT&T is NOT Apple.

Very dissappointing iPhone purchase today. AT&T is NOT Apple.
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 11:11 AM

I picked up two iPhones this morning. Not a typical Apple product purchase at all. AT&T has turned this experience into a very disappointing purchase. Long lines were expected at my AT&T store, but the AT&T computers couldn't unbrick the phones, the reps were clueless, and the store was poorly set up to handle this many customers. Each purchase took over 30 minutes, not the 10-15 that AT&T promised us. Although I was only 25th in line, my wait was over 2 hours to get to a counter. Apple unfortunately only supplied this store with 10 phones of each type. That's all!

All in all, I'm glad I picked up the iPhone 3G, but Apple, if you ever read this, DO NOT LET AT&T SELL YOUR PRODUCTS EVER AGAIN!

SCHMEGGA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 11:26 AM

I can see good reason for being upset with AT&T, but Apple has to take some credit for this debacle. They are the ones who are having server issues with the traffic being supplied by all the 3G iPhones AS WELL AS all the 2.5G users who are trying to upgrade to 2.0 also. This will be plastered all over TV tonight also. I can already here my blackberry and PC buddies saying, "That's why I hate Apple!"

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 11:40 AM

Yes, iTunes is non-functional right now, and Apple gets all of the blame for that. At least I could convince the AT&T store NOT to unbox my iPhone so I could unbox it when I got home. The last thing I wanted was some AT&T employee's fingerprints all over my phone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 01:45 PM

Wow that's a pretty long time in the store. I was in and out with an iPhone last year on opening day in five minutes.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 01:47 PM

Yep...I'm waiting too. I'm sitting on my very pretty and expensive paperweight. I can't even purchase apps for it yet.

(Sigh)

This is what we get for being early adaptors. Some folks will walk into a store tomorrow afternoon after shipment #2 arrives and walk out with a working phone.

Geesh,,.I don't blame Apple or AT&T. I blame me for being such a geek that I had to go stand in line to get one.
( Last edited by Helmling; Jul 11, 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Update: My phone just sprang to life!)

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2008, 01:58 PM

I walked into my local AT&T store and they'd sold out of iPhones but had a line of about 20 people to pre-order for the next shipment. The AT&T reps were poorly trained and rude to customers. All in all, I'm glad I didn't buy a 3G iPhone and stuck with my 2.5G.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
Not a typical Apple product purchase at all. AT&T has turned this experience into a very disappointing purchase
Apple unfortunately only supplied this store with 10 phones of each type. That's all!

All in all, I'm glad I picked up the iPhone 3G, but Apple, if you ever read this, DO NOT LET AT&T SELL YOUR PRODUCTS EVER AGAIN!
Its apple fault not AT&T! Apple did not ship sufficient numbers to the stores and its been the Apple servers that have caused the delay or inability to unbrick the iPhone.

I'm no AT&T fanboy but this is Apple's fault through and through.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 02:44 PM

That sounds like the process at Rogers and Fido stores in Canada too. They wouldn't let people go home with unactivated iPhones either, which is pretty stupid considering that those of us who ordered over the phone will be activating our iPhones at home.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2008, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Its apple fault not AT&T! Apple did not ship sufficient numbers to the stores and its been the Apple servers that have caused the delay or inability to unbrick the iPhone.

I'm no AT&T fanboy but this is Apple's fault through and through.

Yep... I'm an Apple fan to the core, but even I can't deny how unbelievably effed up Apple made this process.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

Pair of iPhones

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by CorpITGuy View Post
Yep... I'm an Apple fan to the core, but even I can't deny how unbelievably effed up Apple made this process.
On the other hand, one might argue that if they'd been able to do things their way it might've gone better. Hard to say, but this is a disappointing first day. We should each get a free App.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 02:55 PM

Apple tried to do too much in one day. MobileMe launch, iPhone 3G release, firmware 2.0 release all on the same day worldwide would make anyone's servers go nuts. They definitely should've released MobileMe and firmware 2.0 earlier to alleviate some of this traffic.

Live and learn... I hope.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 02:59 PM

Why do people go and stand in line for something like this anyway? It's an f-ing phone! Wait for a few days, at least... sheesh!

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 03:06 PM

It's not just a "phone" to us, it's another Apple product. We (unfortunately in this case) have come to expect the very best from Apple. It's because they did such a good job building up their brand name. When Apple sells a new device, I've come to expect that (1) the device is worth purchasing; (2) it works very well for its intended purpose; and (3) because of #'s 1 and 2, that it will most likely sell out quickly. Thus, I waited in line for it. Was it worth it? I'm not sure. Will I do it again? Maybe - if Apple gets their act together after this one.

magicbumone
Jul 11, 2008, 03:14 PM

Yep! I was in and out in what 3 hours!!! And I still don't have a working iPhone since itunes activation not working. Also the AT&T store could not figure out how many iPhones they have. They told us that there was no 16GB then 5 minutes later we have 8 left. Then 30 minutes later..."Ok, we are officially out 16GB iPhones" Then they say they have 6 White models left! The whole process was just getting ridiculous and it was 15-20 minutes for everyone to get their iPhone and that was with out activating it since iTunes was down.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why do people go and stand in line for something like this anyway? It's an f-ing phone! Wait for a few days, at least... sheesh!
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
It's not just a "phone" to us, it's another Apple product. We (unfortunately in this case) have come to expect the very best from Apple. It's because they did such a good job building up their brand name.
No Besson is right, its only a phone and just saying its an apple product doesn't seem to justify the craziness to me. Why camp over night to be at the beginning of a line, or wait three, four hours in the hopes of getting a phone. I bet if I wait 3 weeks, waltz in and buy an iPhone, it will be no different then yours, but the buying experience will be a lot better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 03:28 PM

We've managed to survive how many years without the iPhone 3G? Would another few days or week or so hurt? Are you guys the same guys that camp out outside of a movie theater to be first in line for tickets to a new highly anticipated movie as well?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 03:35 PM

We've managed to survive how many years without the iPhone 3G? Would another few days or week or so hurt? Are you guys the same guys that camp out outside of a movie theater to be first in line for tickets to a new highly anticipated movie as well?
I waited a month for my iPhone last year, mainly because I don't pride myself on needing anything the first day. Futurama movies, on the other hand, are a different story
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Bakerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2008, 03:39 PM

I was #1 in Line here in a small town in central PA. They went through a few gyrations during activation, but I left with a functional new white iPhone in about 20 minutes.

I suspected that there would be activation hell again this time just like last year. Simply too many phones going through the process all at the same time.

I would be peeved if it had not activated at all.
Bakerman
24" iMac

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 03:40 PM

I know, I know. You've never been excited for anything in your life. We get it. You're a higher life form with no trivial interests or silly pursuits. We hear you, now stop lording your infernal Vulcan logic over us, oh-perfect-one.

Sheesh, yourself.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 03:43 PM

AT&T probably has a similar attitude.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
I know, I know. You've never been excited for anything in your life. We get it. You're a higher life form with no trivial interests or silly pursuits. We hear you, now stop lording your infernal Vulcan logic over us, oh-perfect-one.

Sheesh, yourself.
Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how long I camped out for Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights? I understand full well whata anticipation is about, only I know not to excited about devices that let me talk to other people that I don't really want to talk to anyway...

Patrick Swayze movie.... new phone..... Patrick Swayze movie.... new phone...

Think about it.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2008, 03:46 PM

I didn't camp out and frankly, I don't even think I'll buy a 3G iPhone... but I don't think it is fair to criticize those who are excited about the product. Everyone gets excited/obsesses over something... for me it is my family, and to a lesser extent gadgets. There are folks who think I'm an obsessive dad because I take a thousand pictures a month of my son... others think some here are obsessive over their Macs... but you know what? Those folks should mind their own dadgum business.

Pair of iPhones

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 03:49 PM

I know, I know. You've never been excited for anything in your life.
I'm excited about the iPhone but that doesn't mean I'm going to wait 3 hours in a line to buy one, when I can sit tight for another week or two and buy one w/o the headaches and long lines that seem to be occurring now.

Being excited is one thing, camping out over night for a phone is something altogether different.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 03:51 PM

I'm excited about the iPhone but that doesn't mean I'm going to wait 3 hours in a line to buy one, when I can sit tight for another week or two and buy one w/o the headaches and long lines that seem to be occurring now.

Being excited is one thing, camping out over night for a phone is something altogether different.
To each, his own.

I would've been embarrassed to camp out, but that's me. It takes all kinds to make a world, that's what I say.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 03:57 PM

I just have 3 words for you guys: Dirty Dancing 2.

... Wait, is "2" a word?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 06:36 PM

Ever see a bug fly into a bug-zapper? Seems to be pretty much the exact same impulse.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2008, 06:37 PM

I just have 3 words for you guys: Dirty Dancing 2.

... Wait, is "2" a word?
Two is a number. Words are composed of letters, not numbers. So it's actually 2 words.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Two is a number. Words are composed of letters, not numbers. So it's actually 2 words.
Actually, "Two" is in fact a word composed of letters.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
I waited a month for my iPhone last year, mainly because I don't pride myself on needing anything the first day. Futurama movies, on the other hand, are a different story
My sentiments exactly!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2008, 08:30 PM

... Wait, is "2" a word?
Dude, seriously, dude.

2 is a number. Not even a letter, let a alone a word.

-t

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2008, 08:36 PM

I waited in line for the first iPhone, even though we didn't have to. It ended up being really fun, actually. Got to meet a lot of interesting people with similar interests. Got to take part in something that will never happen again (the first launch of the iPhone). I know that an iPhone is just a piece of matter that humans have manipulated into something that our feeble minds desire, but its FUN. You know... fun... that feeling you get when you do something you enjoy.

I also waited in line for Star Wars: Episode 1, which wasn't as much fun, but still...

Dirty Dancing however.... how old are you anyhow Besson? And when did DD2 come out?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:07 PM

Apple Stores have them abundantly. Check the availability tool - very few stores are out of them. AT&T apparently got about three of them. Since I have a business account, I can't pick one up at the Apple Store, where they are readily available. Do they think that won't annoy people.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Bzzt! Wrong.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2008, 10:42 PM

On the other hand, one might argue that if they'd been able to do things their way it might've gone better. Hard to say, but this is a disappointing first day. We should each get a free App.
I don't know about you but I got about a dozen free apps today.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 03:46 AM

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea how long I camped out for Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights? I understand full well whata anticipation is about, only I know not to excited about devices that let me talk to other people that I don't really want to talk to anyway...
Then stop being such a dick. To you it's a phone, to somebody else it's the best thing ever. So you won't wait in line for it while others will. To each his own. Stop acting as if there were a right or wrong here and let everybody live the way they want. Apple and AT&T fscked it up plain and simple.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 03:50 AM

Yes. And that's your decision and as such it's good for you. Others have come to another conlcusion and that's just as ok for them. Apple and AT&T botched it for those people and that sucks. Stop acting as if it were the camper's fault. Let people make their own decisions and live their own lives w/o being a dick about it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Then stop being such a dick. To you it's a phone, to somebody else it's the best thing ever. So you won't wait in line for it while others will. To each his own. Stop acting as if there were a right or wrong here and let everybody live the way they want. Apple and AT&T fscked it up plain and simple.
I'm not stopping anybody from doing anything, I just think it is irrational. I fully acknowledge that I do irrational things myself, but that doesn't make this any more rational.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 04:07 PM

Wow, I *finally* get the reference to the "Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights" film. We could *all* learn a thing or two from that movie. Come to think of it, is it available via iTunes movies? :/

Although I'm guessing even if you think going to see a movie like "Havana Nights" will help you to get along better with your girlfriend, I'm also guessing there are women who would just as well have an iPhone.

Here's something we can all agreed on: the movie is definitely less expensive than the phone.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 05:19 PM

I'm not stopping anybody from doing anything, I just think it is irrational. I fully acknowledge that I do irrational things myself, but that doesn't make this any more rational.
Humans are irrational. And nobody here asked you about what you consider rational or sensible. And for sure nobody needed an attitude. Give factual advice if you have something to contribute and then let other people make their own decisions. Anything else won't work on a (civil) forum.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 05:35 PM

Humans are irrational. And nobody here asked you about what you consider rational or sensible. And for sure nobody needed an attitude. Give factual advice if you have something to contribute and then let other people make their own decisions. Anything else won't work on a (civil) forum.
Opinions are offered on this forum quite liberally without invitation, I don't see why you feel it necessary to center mine out. I feel that it is generally wise to question what is rational and what is irrational, because overall I feel that we live among an abundance of irrationality and a shortage of rationality. If somebody really felt it offensive to have their sense of what is rational challenged, I would apologize to that individual, but I would also suggest that if that person needs this level of sensitivity (and there is nothing wrong with that) that they will have difficulty having that fulfilled, especially in a place like this.

On the other hand, if you are able to make a rational argument that explains how waiting in line for an iPhone like this is rational, I would like to hear it.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 07:20 PM

On the other hand, if you are able to make a rational argument that explains how waiting in line for an iPhone like this is rational, I would like to hear it.
What if the government had implanted a bomb inside you, and the only way to diffuse it is if you purchased an iPhone 3G on the first day it was available, otherwise you'd ESSSPLODE!!!

That would be a rational reason to stand in line.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
What if the government had implanted a bomb inside you, and the only way to diffuse it is if you purchased an iPhone 3G on the first day it was available, otherwise you'd ESSSPLODE!!!

That would be a rational reason to stand in line.

How do you know that the government has not already implanted a bomb inside you, perhaps when you last had surgery or something? In theory it could go off at any time, including when you are taking a dump, mowing the lawn, doing your taxes, eating a piece of cheese, etc. Since this is possible, it is irrational to live in fear of essploding, and therefore it is best to live life to its fullest. I suggest a good orgy, donut, badminton set, or perhaps standing in line to buy yourself an iPhone 3G...

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 10:01 PM

Touché my good man... touché.

Although if that were the case, I think I'd go for having an orgy while eating a donut and waiting in line to buy myself an iPhone 3G all at the same time. I'd leave out the badminton set because that's just preposterous.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 10:05 PM

Stop acting as if it were the camper's fault. Let people make their own decisions and live their own lives w/o being a dick about it.
Who said this was the poor sap waiting all night and day in line's fault. I'm just pointing out that it's quite irrational to wait in line for over a day to buy a phone. Especially given the fact if they wait one more week or two, they'll be able to waltz in to any apple or AT&T and buy one.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2008, 10:09 PM

How do you know that the government has not already implanted a bomb inside you, perhaps when you last had surgery or something? In theory it could go off at any time, including when you are taking a dump, mowing the lawn, doing your taxes, eating a piece of cheese, etc. Since this is possible, it is irrational to live in fear of essploding, and therefore it is best to live life to its fullest. I suggest a good orgy, donut, badminton set, or perhaps standing in line to buy yourself an iPhone 3G...
This was going well until Badminton.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 10:38 PM

Screw you guys, I like badminton!

I'm going home.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:12 AM

Opinions are offered on this forum quite liberally without invitation, I don't see why you feel it necessary to center mine out.
I didn't. There was another guy trying to be an ass and I called him as well for it.

I wouldn't do that, but that's me. Somebody else might chose differently and that's just as "right".

You're trying to talk your way out of. But it's really quite simple: you tried to impose your set of values on others as a objective "right" vs. other people's supposedly stupid "wrong". This then gave you the moral high ground to offer condescending remarks. Essentially, you were trying to be obnoxious for no reason. And you were called for it. End of story.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 12:18 AM

Simon: irrational is usually "wrong" by my standards most of the time, but that's just me. However, nobody here gives a damn about what I think is right or wrong about the choices they make in their lives, nor should they. My comment was about the rationality of standing in line for an iPhone, whether you picked up this intended meaning or not. End of story.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:19 AM

Who said this was the poor sap waiting all night and day in line's fault. I'm just pointing out that it's quite irrational to wait in line for over a day to buy a phone. Especially given the fact if they wait one more week or two, they'll be able to waltz in to any apple or AT&T and buy one.
Again, nobody in or out of that line cares about what you consider irrational.

The people that were in that line chose freely to do so because they wanted to. And that's fine. What doesn't work is Apple and/or AT&T letting these people down. It's especially bad because these people are quite obviously high-involvement buyers. Those are the kind of customers you want to treat best. No rationalizing about when you would stand in line because that's supposedly so much smarter changes anything about that.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:20 AM

Simon: irrational is usually "wrong" by my standards most of the time, but that's just me. However, nobody here gives a damn about what I think is right or wrong about the choices they make in their lives, nor should they. My comment was about the rationality of standing in line for an iPhone, whether you picked up this intended meaning or not. End of story.
That would all have been ok if it had been factual. But...

Originally Posted by besson3c
It's an f-ing phone! Wait for a few days, at least... sheesh!
Instead it was snotty and condescending. Which made you come across as an ass. There's no need for that on this board.

Forum Links
Forum Rules