Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I need help finding a book to read.

I need help finding a book to read. (Page 2)
Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
My dad got two years of the Economist from me for Christmas. He never stops saying what a good present it was. Only £160 as well. I may get myself a subscription.
I have been reading it for over ten years now and have subscribed around half that time. The website is a great addition as you can search full articles from back issues. I used to stockpile the printed editions, but now I give them away to others to read after I have read them from cover to cover.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I am retired Navy and love reading Navy history. This is the best one of the ones I've read...

To Shining Sea
Not to bring this thread back from the dead, but I finally finished this book and it was excellent. The book isn't just informative, but extremely well written and a joy to read.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2009, 08:30 PM

Sweet. Glad you liked it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2009, 09:46 AM

SSharon, thank f**k that you didn't finish earlier. I ordered about £100 of books from Amazon.co.uk a few days ago. If you had finished earlier and updated this thread earlier, I would have trebled my purchase.

Cheers.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
SSharon, thank f**k that you didn't finish earlier. I ordered about £100 of books from Amazon.co.uk a few days ago. If you had finished earlier and updated this thread earlier, I would have trebled my purchase.

Cheers.
Haha!
As thanks I hope you share some of the titles you just bought. I have found MacNN a great place for book recommendations.

While I was in the middle of reading To Shining Sea I read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I am now reading Freakonomics, which coincidentally has a few words of praise by Malcolm Gladwell right on the cover.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 07:11 AM

Explanation required me thinks.
I like Anthony Beevor and my dad does as well. I read Freakonomics by Levitt and found it interesting reading. The others come recommended and the biographies are for my mother.

Paris After the Liberation: 1944 - 1949 by Antony Beevor, Artemis Cooper
Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor
Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance by Steven D. Levitt, Stephen J. Dubner
D-Day: The Battle for Normandy by Antony Beevor
The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches by Harry Patch, Richard Van Emden
Kitchener's Last Volunteer: The Life of Henry Allingham, the Oldest Surviving Veteran of the Great War by Henry Allingham, Dennis Goodwin
The Battle for Spain: The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939 by Antony Beevor
Dear Fatty by Dawn French
Look Back in Hunger: The Autobiography by Jo Brand
Where Was I?!: The World According to Wogan by Terry Wogan

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2009, 07:45 PM

The Count of Monte Cristo

Forum Links
Forum Rules