Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Can someone help me with my new Xbox?

Can someone help me with my new Xbox?
alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2011, 08:15 PM

Sorry, total Xbox noob here. We had a Wii for a long time, and I finally took it back and traded it in and purchased an Xbox 360 with Kinect. The game that came with it is fun, but I have a few questions -

First, is there a way to save games to the hard drive so I don't have to use the discs that come with the games? I only have a 4 GB Xbox, so I realize I can't save much.

Second, I need some decent games. I have young kids, and they need "family" safe games. My wife loves the Kinect portion, so games suggestions using this would be great.

Finallly, I love to play the "good" games, but I've been out of gaming for so long that I have no idea what's really good. This would be games that I could play with my brother (who will be getting an Xbox later this year). Back in the day, we played games like America's Army online together, and loved it. I don't want to waste my life getting up in levels or skill, but I want a fun game (not necessarily a family game). Any suggestions?

Thanks, and I would have asked someone I know, but nobody has an Xbox! *SIGH* I feel so out of it. That's what I get for growing up on Pong.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2011, 09:20 PM

You can install games on your Xbox, but you will still need the disc in to play, and most games are going to require more than 4GB.

For the best games, go to Metacritic.com and look at the top 360 games, not knowing what kind of genres you like I have no idea what to recommend. Also, not having children I tend to only play games that feature blood n gore, so no suggestions there either...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2011, 10:47 PM

Your kids would love a lot of the arcade games such as Snoopy Flying Aces which are available on Xbox LIVE. I'll admit that I've wasted more time than I should have on "kids" games, but they are easy to play and light-hearted fun.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2011, 08:23 PM

You'll need the larger hard drive for what you picture doing.

If you haven't purchased the Xbox Live Gold yet, you should. The online presence is way better than PS3 and you would have endless 'family' and arcade games to try.

I'm addicted to Civilization:Revolution, the console version of the classic Sid Meier turn-based empire game. Three years later, and it's still fun. Family-oriented, as well.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
...I have young kids, and they need "family" safe games...
A Wii would be perfect for kids as 99% of the games are "family safe". Good thing you got rid of it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules