Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 24)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 01:40 PM

I'm battling with Comcast right now as my connection is still not up to par.

We all remember the threads where we list our speeds, mine is usually 25ms ping with 28Mbps download. The last two days have me with an 80ms ping time and a max of 8Mbps download.

WTF?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 01:43 PM

You got downgraded son!

I checked my connection this weekend, as I thought it was a little wonky. The test conditions weren't ideal, but ping seemed to be double what I usually have. I don't know what Verizon is doing, but it does seem like their DSL has been affected lately.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 01:50 PM

Well then it must be the tubes.

Back on topic, I only used one class last night and it's basically the class I'm going to use until I prestige.

ACR w/ holographic + FMJ
M1401 w/ grip + FMJ
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

Actually not missing Cold Blooded than much, as I played without it at all last night and did great. Withiout Stopping Power the ACR isn't nearly as deadly. With SP it's an accurate, rapid-fire death machine.

The M1401 Shotgun may only have a 4 round clip, but with SP it's deadly as hell. At least 1/3 of my kills last night came from burning through the ACR and awaiting retribution with the M1401 out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 01:55 PM

Shotgun with FMJ? You shoot through walls with it a lot?

I do agree SP is a must with the ACR, at least for any up-close fire fights.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You got downgraded son!
You're actually right, we got downgraded to 6Mbps service, I'm continuing the battle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 02:01 PM

I wonder why. This happened to me a few years back, they downgraded my service and kept charging me for the old. I was never clear on why, though I assume it had something to do with prolific use of my connection.

Really I expect it to happen again any day now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 02:02 PM

Shotgun with FMJ? You shoot through walls with it a lot?

I do agree SP is a must with the ACR, at least for any up-close fire fights.
Well, I already have Bling for the ACR, and no other attachments matter for the shotguns IMO, so yeah, FMJ.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 02:04 PM

I wonder why. This happened to me a few years back, they downgraded my service and kept charging me for the old. I was never clear on why, though I assume it had something to do with prolific use of my connection.

Really I expect it to happen again any day now.
I've been gaming moderately and I only downloaded two 700MB files in the last couple of weeks, I don't see why we would have been downgraded, uhh, I'm getting the info on restoring our previous service now.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Well, I already have Bling for the ACR, and no other attachments matter for the shotguns IMO, so yeah, FMJ.
I see your point.

I've been gaming moderately and I only downloaded two 700MB files in the last couple of weeks, I don't see why we would have been downgraded, uhh, I'm getting the info on restoring our previous service now.
Here's my question: Was your service shitty last night because someone was also surfing and the connection couldn't handle it, or is it still inexplicable?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 02:24 PM

Nope, my father was asleep and both computers in the house were sleeping.

We were downgraded two days ago to 6Mbps for reasons unknown, but I am getting it changed back to 16Mbps, which is now 10 bucks more a month so that might have been the reason for the downgrade. At any rate the fact Comcast choose not to contact us is any way is really annoying, I guess this is the Comcast experience I;ve heard about.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 02:31 PM

A republican gets elected and the MA internet goes to hell. Karma.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 02:46 PM

I upped my K/D from 1.17 to 1.20 and my killstreak from 16 to 23!
Damn, I'll won't pass you in k/d ratio with k/d ratio like that. I think I'm in my comfort zone with a 1.07 k/d ratio.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
You know what would help me finish my FMJ kills? If the two kills I got on a dude through the catwalk of the warehouse on Quarry actually counted as penetration kills as they should have.
Never really had problems getting FMJ kills with an assault rifle. I usually get a few each time I play Scrapyard or Terminal. I would think terminal is the best place to get them, but I didn't really pay too much attention where I got mine.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 02:51 PM

Back on topic, I only used one class last night and it's basically the class I'm going to use until I prestige.

ACR w/ holographic + FMJ
M1401 w/ grip + FMJ
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

Actually not missing Cold Blooded than much, as I played without it at all last night and did great. Withiout Stopping Power the ACR isn't nearly as deadly. With SP it's an accurate, rapid-fire death machine.

The M1401 Shotgun may only have a 4 round clip, but with SP it's deadly as hell. At least 1/3 of my kills last night came from burning through the ACR and awaiting retribution with the M1401 out.
I'll have to try out some of the shotguns next prestige. I haven't used them much, except when I run out of ammo and take someone else's gun. M1401, may be useful in the house in Estate or on Favela.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Never really had problems getting FMJ kills with an assault rifle. I usually get a few each time I play Scrapyard or Terminal. I would think terminal is the best place to get them, but I didn't really pay too much attention where I got mine.
I was using my Barret .50.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 03:26 PM

ACR w/ holographic + FMJ
M1401 w/ grip + FMJ
Bling Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Ninja Pro

I can has ammo?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 03:26 PM

I'll have to try out some of the shotguns next prestige. I haven't used them much, except when I run out of ammo and take someone else's gun. M1401, may be useful in the house in Estate or on Favela.
I've been curious to use it for a while (right after I got the 1887s last prestige, which I have to use just for the Veteran Challenges). The semi-automaticmess of it would prove useful, as in rushing situations the SPAS just can't keep up. The downside is with a clip of 4 it's not that much better than the SPAS (That thing holds like 8) as my aim has to perfect, which somewhat negates the useful ness of the semi-auto.

The other issue is range. I already blank with the SPAS a ton (From the second floor balcony on Estate, I won't inflict damage on anyone at the windows or doorway of the living room. My guess is my cross-kitchen shots will become impossible with the M1401.

But imma give a try anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 03:41 PM

Fixes incoming with the anti +/-5 Mil XP patch:

- Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized.
- Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry.
- Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 03:50 PM

I was using my Barret .50.
Ok. That explains it. I can see it taking awhile with a sniper rifle.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
- Care Package, Emergency Airdrop, and Sentry Gun marker grenades sprint speed normalized.
- Sentry Guns: Improved placement detection, preventing cases of Sentry Guns inside geometry.
- Model 1887: Bling using Akimbo and FMJ combination now has same range and damage as non-Bling Model 1887s.
Good to see they are fixing those.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 03:52 PM

Ok. That explains it. I can see it taking awhile with a sniper rifle.
I'm up to 6/40. My progress, however, relies on Quarry and Rundown plus non-rushing teams. I'll be very torn if I'm around 30-35 come Prestige time.

Good to see they are fixing those.
Yes. Hope I make it to 67 one last time before the patch drops (unlikely).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 04:32 PM

The SPAS is pretty sweet too, I simply like the semi-auto fire of the M1401..makes for good defense when somebody catches you by surprise.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
I can has ammo?
Heh, yeah that can be a problem. I didn't experience to many times last night where I ran out of ammo, though there are usually enough weapons lying around.

I've been curious to use it for a while (right after I got the 1887s last prestige, which I have to use just for the Veteran Challenges). The semi-automaticmess of it would prove useful, as in rushing situations the SPAS just can't keep up. The downside is with a clip of 4 it's not that much better than the SPAS (That thing holds like 8) as my aim has to perfect, which somewhat negates the useful ness of the semi-auto.

The other issue is range. I already blank with the SPAS a ton (From the second floor balcony on Estate, I won't inflict damage on anyone at the windows or doorway of the living room. My guess is my cross-kitchen shots will become impossible with the M1401.

But imma give a try anyway.
The range is very poor on the M1401s, I wouldn't take it out unless I was going to be in a close-quarters situation or I'm running away from an enemy to present a defense. I did well with the SPAS too, but I found myself dying between shots to often. Now with the M1401 out I usually die by knife attack.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 04:32 PM

Also, I have re-upgraded to the 16Mbps Comcast connection and all is well. I'm still not seeing sub-30ms ping times but the speed is improved.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 04:50 PM

Sweet.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 06:03 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, IW.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2010, 08:29 AM

Another milestone last night, I finally broke the 30 kills mark in a game.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 10:38 AM

Congratulations!

I haven't broken 30 yet. I think I did break 25.

Alot of times it's because of the time limit. You get all your killstreaks in the last minute or two of the game, and don't get a chance to use them to their fullest.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 12:39 PM

I didn't realize you had never done that.

I'm a damned slump. I always go through one each prestige thanks to juggling weapons for mastery, but this one is way more serious. I had several negative games last night, and not ones I'd attribute to trying to use the sniper and digging myself a hole.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I've had a couple of slumps, but last night I had a great night.

I've been using alot of sentries lately since I've set that as my first killstreak (to get a challenge). I just have to find the right spots to place them. Luckily, you can adjust where they are placed. I'm also trying to use my running class alot, on Wastelands, Rundown, and Derailed. I've got to run a total of 250 miles, I believe, for lightweight VI. I imagine it's a similar distance for Marathon. I'm set up as:

- Marathon Pro
- Lightweight Pro
- Commando Pro (or is it Ninja Pro)
- silenced ACR
- PP2000
MacBook Pro

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 02:45 PM

I've played for about an hour in the past three weeks because of a holiday. I plan to catch up soon.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:28 PM

I'm a damned slump. I always go through one each prestige thanks to juggling weapons for mastery, but this one is way more serious. I had several negative games last night, and not ones I'd attribute to trying to use the sniper and digging myself a hole.
Probably a result of playing with those terribads

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:43 PM

Nah, you'd just steal all my easy kills.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:47 PM

Nah, you'd just steal all my easy kills.
You're one to talk.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:48 PM

I saw them first!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:53 PM

I saw them first!
and shot them second!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:53 PM

It was lag!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:58 PM

It was lag!
I think you're hacking.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:59 PM

Speaking of hacking, I forgot to mention back to back nights (Monday/Tuesday) I was put into lobbies with people with hacked gamertags.

(You know they're hacked because they're bright colors, and sometimes contain words MS would never allow)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 04:27 PM

Question : I need a rifle (either sniper or assault) that I can equip with a thermal scope that can kill at a good distance without adding stopping power.

Probable setup is sleight of hand, cold-blooded and ninja with a claymore, flash or stun grenades and a silenced PP2000 as secondary. If FMJ is needed then I'd put bling on, but I haven't noticed a difference on the 50 with FMJ in terms of lethality. Now I've been playing alot with the 50 and on std TDM you have to hit in the upper torso and head to get a one shot kill. I haven't really tried the other semi-auto sniper rifles so value your input.

I was thinking of the M16 or M21 with a thermal - any comments about lethality ?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Question : I need a rifle (either sniper or assault) that I can equip with a thermal scope that can kill at a good distance without adding stopping power.

Probable setup is sleight of hand, cold-blooded and ninja with a claymore, flash or stun grenades and a silenced PP2000 as secondary. If FMJ is needed then I'd put bling on, but I haven't noticed a difference on the 50 with FMJ in terms of lethality. Now I've been playing alot with the 50 and on std TDM you have to hit in the upper torso and head to get a one shot kill. I haven't really tried the other semi-auto sniper rifles so value your input.

I was thinking of the M16 or M21 with a thermal - any comments about lethality ?
50 is your best bet in terms of lethality.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
and shot them second!

On that note, I do hate when someone positions themselves in front of me and blocks my view. But then I've been known to steal a kill or two, so who am I to talk.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 05:40 PM

One of the dicks I know last night saw me go prone with a sniper at the beginning of a match and perfectly placed his face right in my zoomed scope. It was creepy.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I would agree that a one-shot kill would require the 50 cal.

But with the M16's 3-shot burst and a reddot I can get a longshot headshot. I'm pretty sure I had cold-blooded when I did that(which means I didn't have stopping power). This was from the right side of the map on under-pass where the high buildings are to the buildings on the other side. If you put a thermal site on an M16, I would think it would be an excellent 3-shot burst sniper rifle.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2010, 05:45 PM

ACR with Holo and Extended mags + stopping power rules.

Also, I got a kill with a flashbang that wasn't a direct impact, how does that work?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 05:49 PM

ACR with Holo and Extended mags + stopping power rules.

Also, I got a kill with a flashbang that wasn't a direct impact, how does that work?
Last Stand.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2010, 06:17 PM

I see, interesting.

I'm work-less tomorrow, so expect Fatty on from 10-4am or so.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 02:34 PM

I see, interesting.

I'm work-less tomorrow, so expect Fatty on from 10-4am or so.
Sorry for the poor play and then leaving without a word... I was on the phone trying to convince someone to come over, and then she did.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 09:55 PM

Damn host migration sucks balls.

I was having a great game on Derail. I was 14-3 and still had my Harrier in the air and had just called in a Pavelow. Then the host left and it wouldn't migrate to a new host. This happens all too often. Hey IW, with all the money you are making off this franchise, IT'S TIME FOR DEDICATED SERVERS.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2010, 05:41 AM

mattyb's evaluation of Sniper Lethality. Example usage on Highrise / Wasteland from one end of the map to the other.

Assault rifles can't cut it. Even the M16 + FMJ + Stopping power cannot guarantee a 'one-shot' kill across the map. FAL is the same. If the opposing player has pain-killer then even less guarantee. Sniping with an AR is probably easier in HC, but I'm sticking to std TDM and S&D atm.

The Barrett, the Intervention and the WA2000 with Stopping Power and FMJ only ever leave someone alive if they have last stand. Where I was getting hit markers before (without stopping power + FMJ) I now get kills. If you add a silencer, the range is reduced, but I still get my kills.

The M21 in MW2 is like the M21 in CoD4, nice gun but often you need to follow up with a second shot.

The downside of this Stopping Power + FMJ setup is the loss of Cold-Blooded. If you have a good team, the opponents won't get their choppers and harriers. But having the opponents in the Wasteland bunkers with a harrier and a Pave Low of theirs in the air isn't fun when you don't have cold-blooded.

The upside of trying these sniper rifles is the incredible amount of XP that you can get during a std tdm match. I get (for example) 10 kills, maybe 3 deaths and I have 4000XP - and thats without completing any challenges.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2010, 12:55 PM

I think I spent Sunday joining people's games and pissing them off.

• Saw the most lop-sided game ever: 7500 - 1900 (Karachi). During the course of the game all but one person on the other team left.

• Saw the largest start ever (has to beat some of our Terminal games). 1800 - 0 on Underpass. The first 2-3 minutes everyone seemed to just dig in and wait. Finally mdc led some kind of excursion to the non-warehouse side. I just happened to spot him and his two compatriots and cleaned-up.

• Favorite kill of the weekend: On Invasion, garage/gas station side. At spawn, haul ass to the left side; using a tank for cover quickly scope and headshot... MechWolfOSX for First Blood.

• Speaking of First Blood, how is that not an accolade? Also, someone had a great idea for a challenge - Get first blood and the game winning killcam. I call it "Bookends."

• The TAR has the worst RDS ever.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2010, 02:28 PM

• Saw the largest start ever (has to beat some of our Terminal games). 1800 - 0 on Underpass. The first 2-3 minutes everyone seemed to just dig in and wait. Finally mdc led some kind of excursion to the non-warehouse side. I just happened to spot him and his two compatriots and cleaned-up.
This gets my vote for the most embarrassing match I've ever been in.
My team just could not get any kills in the first few minutes. At the end of the match our top player had about 12 and the second place person had about 5.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 25, 2010, 02:35 PM

This may not be the same match, but I was in a match where when we won the game, four people had 13 kills, one had 12, and one had 11. Talk about a balanced attack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules