Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" PowerBook and External Display

12" PowerBook and External Display
idyll
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 12:18 AM

I'd just like to use my external display that is connected to the PowerBook as the main display and not use the lcd screen on the PowerBook at all. I don't see an option for this in the Display Settings and when I close the screen on the PowerBook it automatically goes to sleep, thus my external display goes black. I don't want to do mirroring nor do I want to use both displays, I'd just like to use my external display as the main one -- where the dock and everything stays . Any tips? Thanks..

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 12:23 AM

Yep! Have your external display DISCONNECTED from your PowerBook, close your PowerBook's lid, let it go to sleep. THEN plug your external display in, along with an external keyboard & mouse, smack the space bar, watch your PowerBook wake-up using only the external display. Smile big.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 12:24 AM

THANK YOU!!!!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 12:30 AM

Glad I could be of service Enjoy!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2003, 12:56 AM

Also, as this works on 15s as well, you should be able to have everything plugged in and awake with either mirroring or extended desktop happening with both displays. Then, when you close the lid, the Alu will go to sleep and the spacebar (or the any key) should wake it right back up to the external.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Forum Links
Forum Rules