Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > getting an iBook

getting an iBook
idyll
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 08:49 PM

ok.. i have decided i won't be getting a powerbook.. well, not decided.. i cant get it. im poor =(

anyway, now im just considering if i should even buy an iBook.. all i plan on doing is graphic design and what not with it and im just wondering if it will be good enough for that? im thinking the 600MHz PowerPC G3, 512K L2 cache @600MHz, System bus @100MHz model with 256 mb of ram..good enough? or do you recommend me getting an eMac.. id really appreciate having a laptop with me though, as i plan to move around a lot..

damosan
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by idyll:
ok.. i have decided i won't be getting a powerbook.. well, not decided.. i cant get it. im poor =(

anyway, now im just considering if i should even buy an iBook.. all i plan on doing is graphic design and what not with it and im just wondering if it will be good enough for that? im thinking the 600MHz PowerPC G3, 512K L2 cache @600MHz, System bus @100MHz model with 256 mb of ram..good enough? or do you recommend me getting an eMac.. id really appreciate having a laptop with me though, as i plan to move around a lot..
What kind of design?

If you go iBook you'll kick yourself for not getting the 700mhz version. The only *real* decision is 12.1 or 14 inch screen. You're limited to the same resolution either way...if you're going to be using your iBook with an external monitor it doesn't matter either way I guess.

Damo

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 04:24 PM

=( hmm.. ill think about that, but i don't have too much money... i guess i could stop buying stuff i don't need and save some money some way... if i got a powerbook id die =p.. ah well =(.. know any good places to get cheap refurbished macs? other than apple.com , of course.. they might as well be used, i guess.. but i don't want to shop at ebay.com .. unless thats the only option i'll have.. thanks in advance

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2002, 07:52 PM

Is portability that essential? If not, then the eMac is the better choice. You'll get a G4 (at a higher clock speed, even), better video, a full-size mouse and keyboard, and so on. Those definitely help with tools like Photoshop.

The iBook is certainly adequate, but it has a smaller screen and (with the current 600 model) won't have a Combo drive.

Either way, places like Small Dog ( www.smalldog.com ) and MacWarehouse (www.macwarehouse.com ) will have clearance or refurb Macs, so check them to see if you can get the Mac you'd like. Just remember that the older iBook 600 only has 8 MB of video memory and so may not be as fast as you'd like.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2002, 08:53 PM

ebay, sometimes the storehouse of overpriced mac gear, provided me with an "open box" but completely brand new ibook 700 for $1275. the deals are out there, you just have to look.

for the money, and if i was only going to have one computer, and portability wasnt an issue, id get the emac. nice machine.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 10:18 PM

hmm thanks for those web sites.. found some good deals i might be able to afford .. the only reason i want a laptop is because i already have a pretty good pc at home.. dual processor, dual monitors, etc.. now i just need something to take along with me and i thought it might as well be a mac.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 02:24 PM

commodus , or anyone for that matter.. about small dog, i am a student.. anyway can i get a discount with them? they have some good refurbished deals but I could get the same thing new at apple.com for the same price because i am a student.. thanks

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 06:14 PM

Unfortunately most of those sorts of stores don't handle educational purchases (presumably the authorization for that is strict). However, you can almost always go to the campus bookstore/computer store (if available) and buy it for educational prices there. Apple is also viable, but I've compared prices and it actually seems as though my campus store offers a better deal.

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 07:15 PM

Like many of the other posters mentioned, if you go iBook, get the 700MHz and stuff as much ram in it as you can. I had the G3 iBook 600MHz with the 8mb ati video. While I just loved the machine for its looks and durability, I ended up getting rid of it in favor of a powerbook. Even maxed out with 640 mb ram, that model was just a little too slugish for my tastes in OS X.1. Now Jaguar might change this and I'm sure especially with the 700MHz and 16 meg radeon. But it all comes down to how important portablity is to you. You always pay more and get less with a laptop but you do get the ability to move around. I agree that the eMac is the best deal going, or even if you got the old powermac quicksilver. Of course, eMac is going to give you the best bang for your buck.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 09:24 PM

hmm interesting.. choices =\.. i think i'll go for portability as i already have a well rounded pc at home.. i'd very much like it to be a mac.. ill try hard to get a powerbook.. ive seen some deals on ebay for 500 mhz and 400 mhz G4 powerbooks with 8 mb video and 512 mb of ram.. would that be better than a 600-700 mhz G3 iBook?

passmaster16
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 09:35 PM

hmm interesting.. choices =\.. i think i'll go for portability as i already have a well rounded pc at home.. i'd very much like it to be a mac.. ill try hard to get a powerbook.. ive seen some deals on ebay for 500 mhz and 400 mhz G4 powerbooks with 8 mb video and 512 mb of ram.. would that be better than a 600-700 mhz G3 iBook?
Tough call there. Depends on what apps you use. Obviously if you use any apps like Photoshop that take advantage of the G4's altivec, then you would be better off with a powerbook. BUT, it has been said that the 700MHz G3 is faster than the 667 G4 in nonaltivec tasks. Plus the iBook 700 is going to have the 16 meg radeon vs the outdated 8 meg rage 128 chipset of the older powerbooks. So in short, it's dependant on your needs. I would personally go for the 700MHz iBook before a 500 or 400 MHz powerbook. Now if you were able to swing a pb with the the 16mb radeon, then you might consider one. Regardless of what you get, OS X loves RAM so get as much as that you can afford.

Forum Links
Forum Rules