Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pictures of your iMac setup

Pictures of your iMac setup (Page 12)
hamsher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 07:41 AM

Duracell
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by hamsher
<snip> ^ The image above
I don't really like the screensaver on the above image but I love the glow it gives off!
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

damnyooneek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by applenut1
hey there,

i have the directivo hooked up via an ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0. I chose that device because it was very cheap (on sale for 50 bucks at Best Buy) and was advertised as having no lag meaning i could hook a game system up to it since most of el gato's products have a slight delay making gaming impossible.

I use El Gato's eyetv software

It works very well but ATI's hardware is cheap and has blown out twice on me, but they have replaced them so far.
hey applenut i noticed there are two versions for the ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0. One specifically for the mac and one for windows. the one they sell at best buy says its for windows. is there really a difference or does the eyetv program make both versions of the tuner it work with the mac?

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 06:21 PM

Here's a couple of pictures of my gorgeous new iMac Core Duo in all its glory.

Things still left to do....

tidy those damn cables up
get the LCD tv mounted on the wall for the Xbox 360
move the PC upstairs for the kids (damn I paid over £2000 to build that thing only to realise that it doesn't matter how much you spend on a PC it still has to run Windows and Windows sucks)

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 06:32 PM

Macadvo, is that a HD TV with a DVI input? If so why dont you hook it up to your new imac?
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 06:53 PM

Strangely enough the TV doesn't have a DVI input. It does however have SCART (don't remember how many, 2 I think), S-VHS, Composite, Component, HDMI, and VGA.

I did originally plan on hooking the iMac up to it for when I'm using Aperture but now think I prefer the idea of just wall mounting it and running the Xbox 360 and upscaling DVD player on it.

A few more pics

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 06:59 PM

Sounds cool - you could always hook it to the TV through a DVI > HDMI cable, or through VGA. I just love the idea of extra screen space . When you say upscaling DVD player on it, do you mean as in DVD player app on the iMac, coz if you do then obviously you will be hooking the screen up anyway, so you could play around with extended desktop and see if you like it
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 07:08 PM

No the TV came with a Samsung DVD player that upscales through HDMI. Having your desktop extended across 2 screens is always fun but there are very few apps that actually benefit from it (Aperture being one, Final Cut Pro another).

Don't think there is a "mini DVI-HDMI" cable available for the iMac anyway, though VGA would be an option. Though I still maintain that for 90% of the time that 2nd screen would be unused, hence my decision to use the TV solely for the X360 and DVD player.

It's a nice "second TV" though

hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Macadvo
Having your desktop extended across 2 screens is always fun but there are very few apps that actually benefit from it (Aperture being one, Final Cut Pro another)
how is non beneficial, I thought having the windows your working within larger make it easier? I've never actually gotten to do any real work with dual displays, so I could be wrong.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 07:30 PM

In my experience having dual displays doesn't mean you can make your windows larger, merely that you can have more windows open at any one time and still see them all. Thanks to the magicians at Apple Expose largely negates this need.

There ae however applications like Aperture and FCP that really benefit from dual displays and for this reason I may well invest in an Apple 20 or 23 inch display at some point in the future (but not a word to the wife please! )

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 08:46 PM

<snip>
Goodness, look at all those remotes

Have a look at this, it's what I use for my TiVo, DVD, etc.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 08:52 PM

lol

TBH I don't mind having "all those remotes" too much.

The ones you can see (yes there are more) are from left to right, Xbox 360 media remote, remote that came with the Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty for the PC, and the TV remote.

They hardly ever get used.

Oh also have two Apple remotes here.

I did look at getting one of the Logitech remotes but me being me I would only have settled for the top of he range one which is £180 here and I'm not paying that much for a bloody remote!

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 09:02 PM

Cozmo,

What kind of chair is that, also where did you get your desktop picture?
Thanks,
Phillip

Originally Posted by Cozmo85
20" intel imac

Cozmo85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by SpinCycle
Cozmo,

What kind of chair is that, also where did you get your desktop picture?
Thanks,
Phillip

The chair is a Herman Miller Eames aluminum group management chair.

Desktop is Domokun

http://images.google.com/images?clie...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2006, 10:02 PM

The chair is a Herman Miller Eames aluminum group management chair.

Desktop is Domokun

http://images.google.com/images?clie...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Is it comfortable?
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

Cozmo85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2006, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by thiagofll
Is it comfortable?
Yes, very. The leather is nice and soft. If you need a full back they sell it that way too. It is also available with thicker padding called the soft pad group.

http://highbrowfurniture.com/seating...cts/alumgroup/

http://highbrowfurniture.com/seating/products/softpad/

thiagofll
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2006, 10:09 PM

Yes, very. The leather is nice and soft. If you need a full back they sell it that way too. It is also available with thicker padding called the soft pad group.

http://highbrowfurniture.com/seating...cts/alumgroup/

http://highbrowfurniture.com/seating/products/softpad/

I'll definitely look into that thanks...
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]My Gadgets: 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Wireless Mighty Mouse // MacBook Pro 17" 2.44Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 4GB RAM / 8GB Apple iPhone/ JBL Spot/ Canon SD850 w/ 4GB Card/ Canon XTi Rebel Black.[/FONT]

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2006, 10:36 PM

Hmmm, I think I should just stick with the Aeron idea. I used to have one of those at work, beautiful.. and less expensive.. heh.

ciparis
Feb 1, 2006, 12:06 AM

grinder
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 02:26 PM

What are the specs of that thinkpad?
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Mizzou02RS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 10:04 PM

Where do you get that Matrix screensaver...I need this!

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2006, 05:18 PM

grinder
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2006, 05:22 PM

I think it's Red Pill.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11727
Have Fun!
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

ciparis
Feb 2, 2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by grinder
What are the specs of that thinkpad?
It's a T43, 2GHz, 1GB RAM. X300 graphics, 1400*900 widescreen.

It's funny... the iMac is so quiet that I get annoyed with the tiny fan in the Thinkpad, and turn it off. I don't keep it on the desk anymore -- I only pull it out now for VPN (because I've so far been too lazy / cheap to try and get the sonicwall VPN going on the iMac).

I use Eclipse (Java IDE) for development on both, and my ant builds on the iMac run 50% faster than they do on the T43. Very good Java performance on the Intel iMacs.

ciparis
Feb 2, 2006, 10:00 PM

Strangely enough the TV doesn't have a DVI input. It does however have SCART (don't remember how many, 2 I think), S-VHS, Composite, Component, HDMI, and VGA.
They make DVI to HDMI cables now (since HDMI is taking over in the consumer space, but older equipment often still uses DVI). Works great - Radio Shack usually has a good selection of whatever direction you need to go with. I'd go for the store brand though.. the others get super expensive.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ciparis
They make DVI to HDMI cables now (since HDMI is taking over in the consumer space, but older equipment often still uses DVI). Works great - Radio Shack usually has a good selection of whatever direction you need to go with. I'd go for the store brand though.. the others get super expensive.
I did originally buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor but had no luck getting it working with my PC, no idea why. As it stands the HDMI is being used with an upscaling DVD player, the component is being used by the Xbox 360 and the VGA is being used by the PC.

The iMac is using its own gorgeous built in screen.

Today I wall mounted the LCD and bought a new AV receiver to plug everything into, a Cambridge Audio one, can't remember which model now (I'll post later with pictures) and some lovely Gale 30 series bookshelf speakers Just need to pick a semi decent sub and I'm set

matins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 08:36 AM

Here's my desktop.
iMac 20" Core Duo 256mb 1gb ram - Eizo L568 - iPod 20gb with eVo skin - Powerbook 12" 1,5ghz SD 1,25gb ram - SE K750i

tinoproductions
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2006, 01:52 PM

here it is.
20'' 1GB ram...hopefully 2 soon.
256vram. 19'' widescreen on left, trying to put anotherone on other side...why?? why not ??
I still have cable world round the back, but 5.1 doesnt help, neither does 1TB of EXT HD storage

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by tinoproductions
here it is.
20'' 1GB ram...hopefully 2 soon.
256vram. 19'' widescreen on left, trying to put anotherone on other side...why?? why not ??
I still have cable world round the back, but 5.1 doesnt help, neither does 1TB of EXT HD storage

is it even possible to hack another screen to the imac? i would be neat if you could run 2 external monitors from one imac. Please let us know if you make it happen.

jwoods
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
is it even possible to hack another screen to the imac? i would be neat if you could run 2 external monitors from one imac. Please let us know if you make it happen.
Actually yes. Gefen makes a mini-DVI splitter, as well as other DVI splitters. Not sure about price, but I was looking at one earlier. Not cheap, but should work.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by tinoproductions
<snip>
Hey... nice mouse pad

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jwoods
Actually yes. Gefen makes a mini-DVI splitter, as well as other DVI splitters. Not sure about price, but I was looking at one earlier. Not cheap, but should work.
A DVI-splitter would just result in having two external monitors with the same thing on them, though. I don't think it's possible to have two additional screens displaying different things on an iMac.

Mr Kino
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2006, 08:21 PM

yeah dude, killer mouse pad!! Btw that thing uses batteries like crazy, my mouse is now an ornament on my desk, because i refuse to feed it any more batteries. in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a nice corded mouse.

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 12:18 AM

Clockwise:
20" iMac G5 (iSight), 2.1GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Samsung ML-1210 laser printer
SmartDisk Universal card reader
cables for iPod (3G) and Toshiba e330 Pocket PC
LG GCC-4480B Combo drive in an ADS Firewire enclosure
Edirol UM-1 USB MIDI interface
Belkin USB 2.0 7 port hub
DSL modem
Cable-Safe Cable Management system
harman/kardon iSub
Canon i960 inkjet printer
Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Kino
yeah dude, killer mouse pad!! Btw that thing uses batteries like crazy, my mouse is now an ornament on my desk, because i refuse to feed it any more batteries. in the long run it would be cheaper to buy a nice corded mouse.
Makes me glad I decided on a Logitech Mx500

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2006, 06:07 PM

The setup:

mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2006, 06:53 PM

Nice

Railroader
Banned
Feb 12, 2006, 07:17 PM

I just cleaned the desk off and moved things around.

Old 1 GHz eMac

hldan
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 08:29 PM

Looks to be a pic of the wrong computer. The topic of the forum is for posting pics of iMac not the eMac.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

jaydon34
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by dpfenninger

Clockwise:
20" iMac G5 (iSight), 2.1GHz, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Samsung ML-1210 laser printer
SmartDisk Universal card reader
cables for iPod (3G) and Toshiba e330 Pocket PC
LG GCC-4480B Combo drive in an ADS Firewire enclosure
Edirol UM-1 USB MIDI interface
Belkin USB 2.0 7 port hub
DSL modem
Cable-Safe Cable Management system
harman/kardon iSub
Canon i960 inkjet printer
Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse
Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro

Great setup ruined with a crappy keyboard
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

Railroader
Banned
Feb 13, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Looks to be a pic of the wrong computer. The topic of the forum is for posting pics of iMac not the eMac.
I must have missed the part about commenting on posts and not including a picture of an iMac as well. Did you see that?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 04:31 AM

actually i think there is an emac thread but it died rather quickly, and the hardcore setup geeks started adopting this thread as a showoff forum, which i dont mind in the least. there should be a setup thread in the lounge so that everybody could see everybody elses setups. i like the emac too, ashame it got the boot...i could see it being a lot better with an intel duo inside (lots quieter).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jaydon34
Great setup ruined with a crappy keyboard
Ditto™

dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
Ditto™
Yeah, I know, not thrilled with the MS keyboard either, but I like the ergonomic design. Is there another out there that is ergonomic, has the eject/volume/media keys, cheap, and above all, is Mac-like in design?

ciparis
Feb 14, 2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by dpfenninger
Yeah, I know, not thrilled with the MS keyboard either, but I like the ergonomic design. Is there another out there that is ergonomic, has the eject/volume/media keys, cheap, and above all, is Mac-like in design?
The new one (MS ergonomic keyboard 4000) is nicer in design, and volume/mute work, but so far the other keys do not (unlike most MS keyboards this one does not list Mac support). It's a big functional improvement over the older white versions though -- it's the first ergo keyboard I've found with better feel than those. It's black and silver, but looks quite good.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 10:16 PM

specs in sig
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 11:24 PM

how is hardly anybody taking advantage of the mini dvi with dual display mode?....lets see some dual screen setups people!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2006, 09:55 PM

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Feb 17, 2006, 05:27 AM

shame aboot that dell , it really shows off the superiority of the imac though

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by eddiecatflap
shame aboot that dell , it really shows off the superiority of the imac though

It's a rebranded 21" Trinitron CRT that I span my iMac desktop onto. I like having the CRT hooked up to the iMac as it gives me some resolution flexibility (I can crank it up to 2048x1536 when I need a butt load of desktop real estate and it looks very nice for a CRT).

Forum Links
Forum Rules