Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's not just an OS, it's a lifestyle...

It's not just an OS, it's a lifestyle... (Page 2)
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2009, 06:36 PM

Oh, yeah, that's true. OpenCL basically requires an Nvidia card, though a couple of high-end ATI cards are supported too. Not so much an age thing as a chipset thing.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 4, 2009, 07:08 PM

If you see ripples when you drop an item onto the Dashboard, you have CoreImage.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2009, 07:12 PM

And if you see ripples when you drop a Butterfinger on your stomach, you have CoreFat.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2009, 07:31 PM

I give that joke a 9/10.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
People don't really enjoy using Windows;
I do. I find Windows 7 to be pretty damn enjoyable to use. More than OS X, even.

you and I both know that OSX is vastly superior for most daily tasks, which is why that product is "worth" more, even given similar specs.
No, OS X is vastly superior to you. Objectively, OS X is not irrevocably superior for daily tasks. The price premium is worth it to you because you greatly prefer OS X to using any other operating system. To someone who's used to Windows, likes Windows, and doesn't want to (or can't) take the time to learn a new OS, a Mac has far less value than it does to someone like you.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Objectively, OS X is not irrevocably superior for daily tasks.
Unless you've figured out how to script everything.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 11:08 AM

I do. I find Windows 7 to be pretty damn enjoyable to use. More than OS X, even. No, OS X is vastly superior to you. Objectively, OS X is not irrevocably superior for daily tasks. The price premium is worth it to you because you greatly prefer OS X to using any other operating system. To someone who's used to Windows, likes Windows, and doesn't want to (or can't) take the time to learn a new OS, a Mac has far less value than it does to someone like you.
I'll stick to OS X thankyouverymuch.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 03:46 PM

It is a well known fact that Windows is superior.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 5, 2009, 04:00 PM

Yeah, WIndows is great

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 04:28 PM

The biggest problem with switching between OS X and Windows/Ubuntu, IMHO, is the differences between an application centric vs. document centric model. I'm so deeply entrenched in an application centric model that I have such great difficulty being productive when I use Ubuntu - years and years of habits are hard to break.

If it weren't for this, I'd say that whatever OS works best with the apps that you care about and use the most frequently is the way to go. Security is also a concern particularly for novice users.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Yeah, WIndows is great

I miss that guy.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 5, 2009, 05:07 PM

I do. I find Windows 7 to be pretty damn enjoyable to use. More than OS X, even.

No, OS X is vastly superior to you. Objectively, OS X is not irrevocably superior for daily tasks. The price premium is worth it to you because you greatly prefer OS X to using any other operating system. To someone who's used to Windows, likes Windows, and doesn't want to (or can't) take the time to learn a new OS, a Mac has far less value than it does to someone like you.
Two systems with identical specs, and the mac version costs 3x as much. Why? DEMAND. So... objectively, it has to be better somehow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2009, 05:11 PM

*facepalm*

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 05:31 PM

I don't recognize that OS.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

hayesk
Nov 5, 2009, 05:44 PM

Two systems with identical specs, and the mac version costs 3x as much. Why? DEMAND. So... objectively, it has to be better somehow.
Maybe because you selectively choose specs to make one machine look cheaper than another and are ignoring other factors that go into the cost of a computer such as case design and software, and even specs you don't care about.

Ever wonder why retail Windows costs more than MacOS even though it outsells it by a factor of 10? Well, aren't those costs reflected in the Mac that comes with MacOS?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 05:50 PM

True, but computers come with Windows, too.

Of course, including forty different "trial" bloatware apps in the install a) shaves $200 off the retail price, and b) makes those "identical" specs completely irrelevant, since the speed has been effectively halved.

If you want to set up that machine clean, you have to factor in the purchase of a full Windows license, since the *cough* recovery *cough* DVD it comes with won't allow a clean install.

hayesk
Nov 5, 2009, 05:50 PM

Preference is one thing. Actual productivity can be another. What if you can take the time to learn a new OS. After all, we want increased productivity in the long run, right?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I don't recognize that OS.
That's because it's called the *facepre* now.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 06:23 PM

This purse starts at $5,000.

Prices get up into six figures depending on the material used and the metal used on the fixtures.

Is that handbag objectively superior to another leather handbag that only costs $200 or $75? No. It's a fashion statement, and it's an accessory that preaches to the world "I can afford a $5,000 purse". People buy Macs because they look cool. Apple charges a premium because there's a market for it - yes, there is a demand, but it's a small market that worships the mighty Mac, which means that if Apple wants to charge $3,000 for a desktop workstation and then refuse to support Windows 7 on it two years later, they can and people will be more than happy to make excuses for them on their behalf.

It's an OPERATING SYSTEM. It's not a freaking cult.

OS X doesn't make me more productive. It makes me less productive. There is nothing wrong with that. I realize that I'm one of the only (if not the only) person on MacNN who prefers Windows over OS X, but that doesn't make me "wrong". There is not some universal truth that OS X is better.

I like this community, and I like most of the people in it. But some of you sound like religious nutjobs when you come to the defense of your precious operating system, the saviour of your life.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 5, 2009, 06:50 PM

Yes there is. XvsXP.com :: Final Score

Stuff like that proves it is better.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 06:59 PM

Yes there is. XvsXP.com :: Final Score

Stuff like that proves it is better.

No offense Rob, but these "shootouts" are usually pretty retarded, and this one is no exception. Stuff like "photo management" is irrelevant to the virtues of an operating system. Photo management may be relevant to the purchase decision of a Mac or Windows based computer, but one cannot say that "OS X is better than Windows because Macs happen to include an application that makes photo management easier". This does not make OS X better than Windows.

The same can be said for "email", "HTML editing" (WTF?), "Instant Messaging", etc. much of which is subjective to a fault anyway.

In my opinion, the whole concept of a shootout is bogus. We run operating systems so that we can use certain applications, that's about it. There *are* differences between operating systems, but when you get into variables like what you are personally more productive on due to personal habits and what you "prefer" or value the most, all scientificness of these sorts of shootouts is pretty much shot to ****.

Shifuimam is not "wrong" for preferring Windows over OS X. Or at least, she is no more wrong than any of you are right.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 07:00 PM

I like this community, and I like most of the people in it. But some of you sound like religious nutjobs when you come to the defense of your precious operating system, the saviour of your life.
I'm with you on this. Some people are loyal to their tools to a fault, in my opinion.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 07:02 PM

I think we really collectively need to decide on just what an operating system is anyway? It used to be a kernel, but now it is everything from the kernel all of the way to HTML editors that come with the computer?!? I agree that there is more to an operating system than a kernel, but I'm not sure how much further we ought to go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2009, 07:15 PM

People buy Macs because they look cool.
Wrong, that's an added bonus. I've never considered buying a Mac just because it looked cool.

if Apple wants to charge $3,000 for a desktop workstation and then refuse to support Windows 7 on it two years later, they can and people will be more than happy to make excuses for them on their behalf.
AFAIK the Mac Pro was (still is?) the only computer with a dual processor i7 mobo configuration. That just might be why they're so expensive and carry the 'pro' nomenclature.

But some of you sound like religious nutjobs when you come to the defense of your precious operating system, the saviour of your life.
Really it's been the savior of my time. As I've mentioned earlier in this very thread I've reformatted and re-installed all flavors of Windows so often I could probably get paid for it. I've NEVER had to re-install any version of MacOS from the first time I used one in the mid-90s.

The reason I, and I'm assuming others, buy the Mac is as follows.

I can buy the computer for a premium, hook it up and turn it on. Bam! That's it, apply an update here and there, leave the damn thing running for years (like my PowerMac G4, which still works perfectly) and never have to worry about it. Spyware, viruses, ever-bloating OS, and all the other assorted bullsh!t you have to deal with in Windows isn't there. I really like XP but at its heart it still feels like a cobbled-together amalgam of 30 different layers all fighting eachother. I'll hook up a thumb drive and that little bubble tells me a dozen f**king times that it has found new hardware, meanwhile I'm already done copying files from it.

Edit: and I'll say it again. I'm going to give Windows 7 a real try. Vista was so intrusive and backwards I don't even consider it a modern OS. I'd rather run XP for the rest of my life then use Vista for two months.
( Last edited by sek929; Nov 5, 2009 at 07:27 PM. )

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 5, 2009, 07:22 PM

Sek speaks truth.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think we really collectively need to decide on just what an operating system is anyway? It used to be a kernel, but now it is everything from the kernel all of the way to HTML editors that come with the computer?!? I agree that there is more to an operating system than a kernel, but I'm not sure how much further we ought to go.
The operating system is whatever winds up on your hard drive after you run the OS install disk.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The operating system is whatever winds up on your hard drive after you run the OS install disk.
I don't know if I agree with that. Many OS install disks include third party software. When Internet Explorer was included with OS X was it considered a part of OS X?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Really it's been the savior of my time. As I've mentioned earlier in this very thread I've reformatted and re-installed all flavors of Windows so often I could probably get paid for it. I've NEVER had to re-install any version of MacOS from the first time I used one in the mid-90s.

The reason I, and I'm assuming others, buy the Mac is as follows.
Look. I'm not arguing that 99% of the people on these here forums find that OS X makes them more productive, it's easier to use than the alternatives (Windows and Linux), and it lets them do what they want to do with a computer.

I'm saying that one operating system is not universally and objectively better than another. The fanboy response of "OS X is better no matter what you say" is stupid, ignorant, and immature. Yeah, it's better for you. But you know what? It's not better for me. I ran OS X for awhile on my laptop and my desktop, and I did my schoolwork and my everyday computing with OS X. After awhile, I discovered that Windows simply works better for me. It doesn't make me wrong, it doesn't make me stupid, and it doesn't mean I've made some universally, objectively, unequivocally bad decision.

I get that you love your Mac. Really, I do. I love my iPhone to an almost sick level, even though I hate how closed it is. What I don't get are blind idiotic statements like "OS X is objectively better". For the love of Christ on a stick, one's preference for any piece of technology is an opinion. That OS X and Windows are both consumer operating systems is a fact. That one is better than the other, for any reason, is an opinion. I realize that everyone in this particular corner of the Internet generally shares the same opinion that OS X is superior to Windows. At least be willing to recognize that this is an opinion and not irrefutable objective fact.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
The way I see it, the OS is everything that you need to be able to use anything else on your computer. The software that may be bundled with the OS (iLife, Windows Live Apps, etc.) is not part of the OS - including those apps that are designed and published by the same people who make the OS itself. The OS is the base functionality - how it interacts with your hardware, how it lets you access your files, what file system it uses, how it networks with other computers, etc.

I'd say that the Finder and Windows Explorer are part of the OS. You can't do anything if you don't have the ability to see your files. Textpad and Notepad, on the other hand, really aren't. They aren't necessary for you to be able to do the absolute most basic tasks on the computer. Sure, they're handy, but they're not part of the OS. The desktop, the dock, the start menu, the finder bar, the taskbar, the system tray, the window manager - these are parts of the OS. iPhoto or Windows Live Photo gallery aren't.

Remember when your OS was nothing more but a command prompt? I can still remember using little all-in-one IBM machines that were donated to my school by a local grocery chain, and you had to put a floppy disk in to boot it up and play Oregon Trail. Without the disks, the machine was incapable of doing anything at all.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 12:15 AM

I'm with Shif here. I've been Mac at home and Windows at work for years. Recently, our team switched over to Macs. I haven't found that the switch made me more productive. Do I prefer working on my MBP? Sure. But, I'm not more productive. I may actually be less productive since I spend more time showing all of the Windows users the neat things I can do and fending off all of the wanna-be-mac-users.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 12:24 AM

The silliest thing to me in all of this is the way people just hitch their wagon to one corporation or the otther, and make thier products into this goofy US vs. THEM holy war to fight and die over. Over someone else's commercial product is a really lame crusade, but here we are.

If I like OSX/Apple then I somehow MUST hate Windows/Microsoft and Linux/Whatever and any/everything else. One company's product simply MUST be better than the other and I must insist on that and shout down anyone who dares disagree.

It's silly. Moreover, it's ducking foopid.

I love using OSX. I love using Windows. I love using... well, okay, I despise using Linux on the desktop. Almost got carried away there.

Anyway, there are applications for either platform that are more important than the OS- I really don't consciously care much about the OS when using Final Cut Pro. I really don't consciously care much about the OS when using eyeon Fusion.

It's always struck me as really funny that OSX and Windows actually get along GREAT with each other, and co-exist perfectly. It's their flesh and blood corporate cheerleader fanbois that are the flipping retards.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 01:50 AM

What I don't get are blind idiotic statements like "OS X is objectively better". For the love of Christ on a stick, one's preference for any piece of technology is an opinion. That OS X and Windows are both consumer operating systems is a fact. That one is better than the other, for any reason, is an opinion. I realize that everyone in this particular corner of the Internet generally shares the same opinion that OS X is superior to Windows. At least be willing to recognize that this is an opinion and not irrefutable objective fact.
In my business, it's a fact. Period.
If you go Windows you're going to be stuck in the lower end of the business permanently because nobody serious will touch you - using a Windows box is much like turning up for a session with a guitar that won't stay in tune for a whole song. You will be shown the door and condemned to forever inhabit the "MySpace" level of the industry. That's not just my opinion - it's a fact.

I remember a few years back, some dude turfed up with a Windows box. He's a friend, so he didn't get the usual treatment. I could hear the timing errors inherent in his playback. Night and day to me, yet he couldn't hear them until I pointed out where they were. And they weren't an error in his sequence - they were being caused by his OS.

Things like this may not be obvious to you if you spend the day typing notes into NotePad.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Things like this may not be obvious to you if you spend the day typing notes into NotePad.
If she does, and she gets HER job in HER industry done doing so, why the F do you think YOUR OS choice in YOUR industry matters a whole hill of peanuts to her? Why would some anecdotal facet of your OS experience be obvious or even in the least bit important to her or anyone else?

It's weird to me how computers bring out this level of blind "self-as-center-of-universe" nonsense in people.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
If she does, and she gets HER job in HER industry done doing so, why the F do you think YOUR OS choice in YOUR industry matters a whole hill of peanuts to her? Why would some anecdotal facet of your OS experience be obvious or even in the least bit important to her or anyone else?
That OS X and Windows are both consumer operating systems is a fact. That one is better than the other, for any reason, is an opinion.
Might as well close this forum down right now if we're all to worry about whether or not what we say is the least bit important to anyone else. Unless you can point me to any postings you've made which anyone else should give a crap about, Crash.

It's weird to me how computers bring out this level of blind "self-as-center-of-universe" nonsense in people.
I think it was the solipsism which did that, not the computer.

Try reversing what you've just stated. In Shif's world, it doesn't matter what OS you use. Therefore she appears to be under the opinion that it doesn't matter in any world. She said it herself - "for any reason" - in the bold bit above. So which one of us is having the bout of "self-as-centre-of-the-universe" syndrome?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Might as well close this forum down right now if we're all to worry about whether or not what we say is the least bit important to anyone else. Unless you can point me to any postings you've made which anyone else should give a crap about, Crash.
Oh don't get all butt-hurt. I didn't ask why your posts or opinions should matter to anyone else, I asked why your choice of OS based on an anecdote that relates to YOUR business not necessarily hers should matter to her. It'd be the same thing if you were up on a soapbox about what car you drive being better than all others or what brand of toaster. Is Apple's product really such a defining part of your lifestyle that you really can't see the difference?

Try reversing what you've just stated. In Shif's world, it doesn't matter what OS you use.
I'd say that's probably a mischaracterization. Perhaps in her world (and in the world of the few billion other people on this planet) it really doesn't matter what OS someone else prefers to use?

She said it herself - "for any reason" - in the bold bit above. So which one of us is having the bout of "self-as-centre-of-the-universe" syndrome?
She's actually right- because the definition of 'better' as an absolute fact is all subjective. I don't doubt for a second that for you, in your use, OSX is better for what you do. I believe it. For many things I do, it's the best OS for me as well.

But for someone else? It's just not a indisputable fact that it's 'better' if even one person finds that's not the case in their own usage. You see, I'm NOT using 'myself as center of the universe' thinking when I simply recognize there are millions of people out there using Windows for the same tasks I may use OSX, who are perfectly successful at it, who make it work for them, who prefer it, who are productive, who produce things that make them and others tons of money, who don't give a flying ass what OS I prefer to use to do the same.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 03:47 AM

You're missing the point Crash. Shif said "That one is better than the other, for any reason, is an opinion". I'm simply correcting her. And it's not my opinion, it's a fact.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 04:18 AM

I read her statement not as "there aren't ever things that one OS can do better than the other" but as a general statement that any of those things aren't reasons to declare one OS better than the other overall.

IE: your use of OSX for recording isn't any reason to declare it better than Windows, and doing so is just an opinion. Is it better at that task, for you? Sure. Is it therefore automatically better at everything else, for everyone else? No.

Of course, I could be misreading the statement, but in light of the rest of the post, that's what I took it to mean.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 04:42 AM

IE: your use of OSX for recording isn't any reason to declare it better than Windows, and doing so is just an opinion. Is it better at that task, for you? Sure. Is it therefore automatically better at everything else, for everyone else? No.
That doesn't make it "just an opinion" any more than it's "just an opinion" that eating healthful foods is good for you. Yeah, eating right won't fix everything in your life, but it's still objectively better than the alternative in the respects being compared.
Chuck
___

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 05:08 AM

That doesn't make it "just an opinion" any more than it's "just an opinion" that eating healthful foods is good for you.
That's not in any way comparable to what's actually being discussed.

Yeah, eating right won't fix everything in your life, but it's still objectively better than the alternative in the respects being compared.
Again, doesn't relate to OS choice.

Windows does plenty that OSX doesn't. Do a job that requires Flame or Softimage on a Mac. You can't. Are those reasons Windows or Linux is better than OSX? No.

All this stuff is subjective, and one can go back and forth all day long about what can be done better on one platform/OS or the other. In the end, it's all a wash and declaring one overall better than the other is just an opinion. The right tool for the right job.

The most talented people know their way around whatever computer/OS you put in front of them and know the value, strengths, and weaknesses of any given tool of their trade and don't dismiss anything that can be utilized effectively. Posers hiding a lack of the same level of skill behind some lameass platform war nonsense don't even compare. And that IS a fact.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 6, 2009, 05:10 AM

Look. I'm not arguing that 99% of the people on these here forums find that OS X makes them more productive, it's easier to use than the alternatives (Windows and Linux), and it lets them do what they want to do with a computer.

I'm saying that one operating system is not universally and objectively better than another. The fanboy response of "OS X is better no matter what you say" is stupid, ignorant, and immature. Yeah, it's better for you. But you know what? It's not better for me. I ran OS X for awhile on my laptop and my desktop, and I did my schoolwork and my everyday computing with OS X. After awhile, I discovered that Windows simply works better for me. It doesn't make me wrong, it doesn't make me stupid, and it doesn't mean I've made some universally, objectively, unequivocally bad decision.

I get that you love your Mac. Really, I do. I love my iPhone to an almost sick level, even though I hate how closed it is. What I don't get are blind idiotic statements like "OS X is objectively better". For the love of Christ on a stick, one's preference for any piece of technology is an opinion. That OS X and Windows are both consumer operating systems is a fact. That one is better than the other, for any reason, is an opinion. I realize that everyone in this particular corner of the Internet generally shares the same opinion that OS X is superior to Windows. At least be willing to recognize that this is an opinion and not irrefutable objective fact.

The way I see it, the OS is everything that you need to be able to use anything else on your computer. The software that may be bundled with the OS (iLife, Windows Live Apps, etc.) is not part of the OS - including those apps that are designed and published by the same people who make the OS itself. The OS is the base functionality - how it interacts with your hardware, how it lets you access your files, what file system it uses, how it networks with other computers, etc.

I'd say that the Finder and Windows Explorer are part of the OS. You can't do anything if you don't have the ability to see your files. Textpad and Notepad, on the other hand, really aren't. They aren't necessary for you to be able to do the absolute most basic tasks on the computer. Sure, they're handy, but they're not part of the OS. The desktop, the dock, the start menu, the finder bar, the taskbar, the system tray, the window manager - these are parts of the OS. iPhoto or Windows Live Photo gallery aren't.

Remember when your OS was nothing more but a command prompt? I can still remember using little all-in-one IBM machines that were donated to my school by a local grocery chain, and you had to put a floppy disk in to boot it up and play Oregon Trail. Without the disks, the machine was incapable of doing anything at all.
OS X is better no matter what you say.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 10:14 AM

lol - a Windows fangirl arguing against Macs on a Mac forum? Now that's rich.

btw I would like to see that "Christ on a stick". Is that a new Baskin-Robbins flavor?
( Last edited by osiris; Nov 6, 2009 at 10:21 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 11:14 AM

I ran OS X for awhile on my laptop and my desktop, and I did my schoolwork and my everyday computing with OS X. After awhile, I discovered that Windows simply works better for me. It doesn't make me wrong, it doesn't make me stupid, and it doesn't mean I've made some universally, objectively, unequivocally bad decision.
Was any of the hardware you were using OS X on less than five years old?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 12:23 PM

You know, one of the things that has turned me off to Macs is the rampant fanboyism.

I doubt that there's not a single person in the music industry across the entire planet who has found a system other than OS X to work better for them.

In my industry, using a Mac doesn't make anything better or easier. The software I use - Dreamweaver, text editors, Photoshop, web browsers - is available for both platforms pretty equally. Boyfriend does C# programming all day. You think he's going to use a Mac? Hell no! The software he writes is for Windows, the IDE he uses is for Windows, what in the world is a Mac going to do for him?

The OS isn't universally better for everyone. My issues with it have not been a result of hardware problems or speed issues. The OS itself just doesn't work for me as a daily operating system, much like Linux doesn't work for me as a daily operating system. Maybe it's just because I grew up with Windows, but how is that any different than someone who grew up using Macs saying that the Mac OS works better for them?

I just don't get this blind fanboyism and religious fanaticism over Apple's operating systems. OS X is not some universal solution to every single computer user out there. It's not "better" for everyone. Maybe where you work in your industry, OS X works better for you - but is that because of the core OS, or because of the software available for it? I just don't buy that every single person in the music industry (or any industry, for that matter) is incapable of using anything but a Mac to do their work and do it well. There isn't one single, universal, all-encompassing solution in the world of technology, and there never will be, because people work differently and prefer different things out of their computers, operating systems, software, and gadgets.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
lol - a Windows fangirl arguing against Macs on a Mac forum? Now that's rich.
I'm not really trying to argue against OS X so much as I'm trying to figure out why some of the more vehement fanboys here are incapable of seeing that one's operating system preference is a personal preference or opinion and not an objective fact that applies to everyone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2009, 12:27 PM

I don't believe in cross-platform marriages.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 12:30 PM

That doesn't make it "just an opinion" any more than it's "just an opinion" that eating healthful foods is good for you. Yeah, eating right won't fix everything in your life, but it's still objectively better than the alternative in the respects being compared.
That's just retarded.

You can point to scientific evidence and clinical studies that, say, calcium is necessary for healthy bone development, or that vitamins like A-D are necessary for a healthy immune system and healthy body.

Have you done some controlled clinical study or something that proves using OS X is better for your health?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2009, 12:36 PM

Health, no. Productivity? I've heard of a few.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 12:41 PM

Interesting. I find I'm far more productive in Windows than I am in OS X.

Which, of course, is because different people have different needs and preferences out of their technology...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2009, 12:48 PM

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2009, 01:27 PM

I doubt that there's not a single person in the music industry across the entire planet who has found a system other than OS X to work better for them.

I just don't buy that every single person in the music industry (or any industry, for that matter) is incapable of using anything but a Mac to do their work and do it well.
Well, you can use a PC but you'll only go so far. That is, as far as your buddy's garage or maybe the part time hobbyist-run studio at the end of your street.
You want go higher, you'll hit a ceiling and you'll find that everyone above that ceiling will tell you to go buy a Mac or FO. It's that simple.

but is that because of the core OS, or because of the software available for it?
Both. Core Audio beats the crap out of anything available for any other system, and the best software isn't available for anything else.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2009, 01:28 PM

I'm not really trying to argue against OS X so much as I'm trying to figure out why some of the more vehement fanboys here are incapable of seeing that one's operating system preference is a personal preference or opinion and not an objective fact that applies to everyone.
Of course it's a personal choice. I just find odd that you argue such points on this hallowed sacred ground of all things Apple when it appears as though you don't even own a modern Mac. But that's ok. We could probably have a good laugh over those Amiga users.

Forum Links
Forum Rules