Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to setup 50 macs

Best way to setup 50 macs
wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 12:52 PM

Hi, I got this question from an IT guy who only know about PCs. He need to setup 50 imacs & 50 macbook pro for his lab. Anyone have experience doing the same task pls share

He need to clone a master drive with all the needed stuff & setting to all the macs. Any suggestion on how & what apps to use would be nice. Thanks in advance.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 02:44 PM

Ive heard really good things about Apple Remote Desktop:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 02:44 PM

www.bombich.com/software/netrestore.

If you don't have a mac server, (you should do, with 50 macs to manage), you can NetBoot from a client:

http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/hard...netboot_server

Or just pay a professional to do it, and get it done right the first time, plus possibly learn something :-).
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Reducto
Ive heard really good things about Apple Remote Desktop:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Which isn't currently supported on either the MBP or the intel iMac. It won't let you image client boxes either. NetBoot/Restore is the tool to use.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 2, 2006, 09:23 AM

could you do netboot via ethernet?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 01:01 PM

You can just boot from an external hard disk and then use Disk Utility to "Restore" from a drive or a drive image to the internal drive.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2006, 03:14 PM

Yeah, but that's stupid to do for 100 computers. NetRestore is clearly, clearly the way to go.

tooki

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Yeah, but that's stupid to do for 100 computers. NetRestore is clearly, clearly the way to go.

tooki
Maybe... once you get it set up it's definitely faster. The learning curve with NetBoot/NetInstall is typically a few hours... and you have to set up the lab properly with respect to subnets.

With block restore and a 2 GB image, the "boot from external drive and lay down an image" approach can take about 5 minutes per machine -- 1.5 to boot, and 3 to lay down the image. Block copy mode (select "erase target!") is ripping fast.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2006, 03:41 PM

I know, but for 100 machines it's still less efficient, especially with respect to the manpower needed.

Also, what a lot of labs do is set up a special network, distinct from the general campus network, to do the initial installs. That way, you don't run into any network problems.

tooki

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2006, 04:16 PM

Radmind.

http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/radmind/

It's a bit of a pain to get set up, but once you do, it's quite nice. Have cron or launchd run a shell script at night so that a Radmind update gets run every night, and then, say a new Software Update comes out - you just make a loadset for that Software Update and put it on the server, and all the Macs automatically get the Software Update the next time they run a Radmind update. And if the update causes a problem of some sort? Just take it back off the server, and all the Macs downgrade back down to what they had. You can install a new app on all 50 Macs simultaneously, or upgrade an app to a newer version. You can manage all sorts of things, and update all the Macs in a building from the comfort of your office. It's really nice...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dawho9
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 08:49 PM

Is there a reason you cannot use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)?

We do this for all of our lab environments. We start with one machine, then copy it to the next. Then we have two masters and we do it again, then 4, etc. Takes about 4 hours to "image" the lab of 30 machines this way. This is of course much longer than the 7 minutes for the PC's - but its much better than doing each one by hand.
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 2, 2006, 09:48 PM

Why do that when Tiger Server can do multicast NetRestore that'll do the whole lab in minutes?

I don't understand why so many people here are advocating highly-manual methods when, with a bit of thoughtful setup, highly-automated methods can be set up that'll save a lot of time.

tooki

wei  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 01:28 AM

thanks for all the comments. already inform my friend about NetRestore.
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

CatOne
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by dawho9
Is there a reason you cannot use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)?

We do this for all of our lab environments. We start with one machine, then copy it to the next. Then we have two masters and we do it again, then 4, etc. Takes about 4 hours to "image" the lab of 30 machines this way. This is of course much longer than the 7 minutes for the PC's - but its much better than doing each one by hand.
CCC is just using the built-in utilities in the OS itself... so using Disk Utility would be similar.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Why do that when Tiger Server can do multicast NetRestore that'll do the whole lab in minutes?

I don't understand why so many people here are advocating highly-manual methods when, with a bit of thoughtful setup, highly-automated methods can be set up that'll save a lot of time.

tooki
I was wondering the same myself.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
Maybe... once you get it set up it's definitely faster. The learning curve with NetBoot/NetInstall is typically a few hours... and you have to set up the lab properly with respect to subnets.

With block restore and a 2 GB image, the "boot from external drive and lay down an image" approach can take about 5 minutes per machine -- 1.5 to boot, and 3 to lay down the image. Block copy mode (select "erase target!") is ripping fast.
2GB? Out of the box, an iMac is over 16GB. Even with stripping unwanted localisations, printers, apps, fonts etc. you'll be looking at over 10GB, without any extra software. If this guy is really going to need 'a few hours' to set up a NetBoot server; he would be better off paying someone else to do it.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2006, 12:22 PM

10-16GB??? :S

My install out of box, with printers/localization stripped was under 1.5 GB.... after updates, and the basic software (office, adobe CS, iApps), I'm looking at about 5-10 on my iBook.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2006, 01:05 PM

A typical higher ed install of the type i do all the time wants all the iApps, CS2, Studio MX 2004, and Office 2004. You could probably build a box with 700MB, but it wouldn't do much!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2006, 06:13 PM

My school is getting 30 Intel iMacs and a MacPro with just Tiger (not server) how can I do this without Tiger Server?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 1, 2006, 06:28 PM

Doing it without a server is stupid, to be frank. But I can see how a school may have unrealistic budgets imposed on it.

I'd suggest Radmind. It's free and will do the job well. The downside is that it's got a steeper learning curve.

tooki

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jellytussle
Which isn't currently supported on either the MBP or the intel iMac.
Its Universal so will work fine.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 10:14 AM

Moonmonkey, please note the date of the post you responded to. This thread was started 6 months ago, and a LOT has changed in terms of UBs in that time.

tooki

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
My school is getting 30 Intel iMacs and a MacPro with just Tiger (not server) how can I do this without Tiger Server?
You can still use NetRestore, and just set up your Mac Pro as a temporary NetBoot server to image the iMacs. There's a description of how to set up a client for NetBoot here. If you share the image over AFP, you'll be limited to 10 concurrent clients, so multicasting might be a better option.

I'd still be pushing for a server, though.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 12:07 PM

If you are really on a budget and can't afford OS X Server, you could also use your OS X Client machine and rsync or scp to blow out your build. This still requires some manual work though each time you want to push out the build (although this could be fully automated via scripting), so NetRestore would be ideal and easier to setup so long as your client machines can be tethered to their respective server.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 02:09 PM

I'd suggest NetRestore to do initial rollout and then Radmind for incremental updates and/or state preservation.

tooki

inkhead
Senior User
Oct 2, 2006, 11:16 PM

Contact Apple, in the Apple developer discussion lists, it tells you how to build a "slipstreamed" version of OS X installer, that install OS X without you only selecting the drive, and you can also have it install other applications as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules