Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unwanted Changes post 10.3.7

Unwanted Changes post 10.3.7
Ixion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 11:35 AM

I've installed 10.3.7 and the icons for my Hard Drive have oddly changed to seemingly random icons. Directly after restarting, my desktop's Hard Drive icon was replaced with the Safari icon, and the icon within finder was replaced with the MPlayer 2 icon. Crazy busines...

Desktop Screenshot

Get Info

Though it looks silly, it doesn't bother me too terribly much, but how do I go about changing the icons back? Anyone else have this happen to them, post 10.3.7?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 02:00 PM

My knee jerk post is, did you repair permissions after the update.
I like to do them before and after.

Mike

Ixion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 02:30 PM

How does one repair permissions?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 02:43 PM

I highly doubt permissions have anything to do with this.

My guess would be to go to /Library/Caches, and delete any files whose names start with com.apple.LaunchServices. Then, reboot.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 04:12 PM

Don't forget in the future ..

Before & After any System Update .... Repair permissions: Close all open files and applications. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select "Macintosh HD" in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions."
Tiger 10.4.8

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by bergy:

Before & After any System Update .... Repair permissions: Close all open files and applications. Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select "Macintosh HD" in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions."
Whatever. I never do any of that and have not had a problem with an upgrade.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 05:45 PM

Only going by what Apple recommends ..

Apple - Unix Maintenance and Repairing Permissions
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...onID=anonymous|44855325&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com%3a80%2f
Tiger 10.4.8

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by bergy:

Warning: Please don't listen to the members of the cargo cult of repairing permissions. They are out to waste your time. There is very little reason to repair permissions after every system update, and absolutely no reason to repair permissions before a system update since the updates run as root anyway. If you have a permissions-related problem, such as applications not starting (because you don't have execute permission) or the computer running very slowly (because something isn't able to write its caches or something) because they don't have write access to a folder, then yes, by all means, repair permissions. However, it is not necessary to do this on a regular basis.

Furthermore, for this case, the problem is, in all likelihood, not something that would be caused by inaccurate permissions, so there's no need to turn this thread into a "repair permissions thread." This guy has problems with the icons being weird, and that's probably the LaunchServices cache. My first suggestion would be to trash the LS cache and reboot and see if anything changes. If it doesn't, then we can go and look at other possibilities. And, of course, you can go ahead and repair permissions if you want; it won't hurt anything, but it is very unlikely to solve your problem, and it just bugs me when people just prescribe it as the sole solution to every problem.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Dec 17, 2004 at 07:39 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 17, 2004, 08:25 PM

On second thought .. not worth replying to ...
Tiger 10.4.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules