Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Loss of Keyboard and Trackpad Post-10.3.8

Loss of Keyboard and Trackpad Post-10.3.8
Ixion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 07:24 PM

Hey there, everyone.

Recently, after the new 10.3.8 update, I seem to be losing control of my keyboard and trackpad with regular use. The update went smooth as silk, and I abided by all standard operating procedures for the update, but... this? The loss of control extends to all functionality of the keyboard and trackpad, including the volume and display controls. I can regain control after rebooting or recovering from sleep via shutting and reopening the lid. The Bluetooth is still active, and I can use both my BT Keyboard and Mouse without issue.

I'm running a RevA 12" Powerbook G4, SuperDrive, 60GB @ 7200rpm HDD and 640mb ram.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2005, 09:46 PM

How do you reboot? Does the power button work? Do your speakers work? The fact that both are going out implies to me that the 10.3.8 update is unrelated. This could be a cable that is half loose inside the machine. These types of connections are not intended to be hot swapped, so on a lot of these things, if the device looses connectivity while the machine is booted, it won't come back until you reboot. More specifically, I've seen this with inverter boards, but it seems entirely possible that your keyboard and mouse could be doing the same thing.

Does the system do the same thing if you boot into a different OS? (e.g. the OS X installer if you have nothing else to boot from.)
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 10:20 PM

That is not a loose cable because I am having the same problem on the same machine. I lose the trackpad and keyboard when I disconnect my external display and put the computer to sleep. I think that this is a bug in 10.3.8. Is there an easy way to revert back to 10.3.7 without reinstalling OSX?

[edit] Typo
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Ixion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 02:53 AM

It's true, I've been in and out of my Powerbook like nobody's business, but I have confirmed that all the connections are in the green, and the cables are all seem to be in good shape.

Once again, this happened just after the 10.3.8 update, and as I mentioned before, I could regain control of both keyboard and trackpad after allowing the system to sleep by shutting the lid of the Powerbook. I'm almost certain the cause is hardware related.

Again, further input would be greatly appreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2005, 04:43 AM

Sounds like something related to the no-mouse-pointer-after-wake-from-sleep bug...

etuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 06:22 AM

Other problems I have has since 10.3.8 update:

Powerbook very very slow and unresponsive

If I leave my powerbook asleep overnight when I wake it up the next day when i wake it up it 'speaks' 'attention' and then I just get a black screen with the multi coloured wheel and I am forced to reboot.

Still got the no mouse pointer after wake up bug

Specs:
Powerbook G4 12" combo rev c, 768mb ram, os 10.3.8

Any ideas?

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 10:52 PM

My wife's 867 PB has frozen after sleep a few times recently. The screen works, the clock is running, but the trackpad and/or keyboard don't work. There's no way out of it without doing a hard restart by holding down the power button.

I repaired permissions last night, but it happened again this afternoon. I can't remember if she had this problem before the 10.3.8 update.

Any ideas?

Oh, this usually happens after waking from sleep. Shutting and reopening the PB doesn't seem to help.

albee2
Baninated
Feb 16, 2005, 02:55 AM

I'm experiencing the same keyboard / trackpad problem. In fact I just restarted my 12" PB running 10.3.8. I attached a USB keyboard and mouse so I could save my work. But after a few minutes, it too locked up. I unplugged and plugged into the other USB port, but it still didn't work. Hard restart "cured" it.

This has been happening all day today. I updated to 10.3.8 on 2/9/2005 but this only started happening this morning (2/15/2005)

Most likely will happen again. Any ideas?

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 01:37 PM

I'm having the same issue on my RevA 17". The only way I've found to get it to work again, is to plug in an external mouse, and reboot. This has happened to me twice in 2 days. I posted on the Apple Discussion forums, and there were several other 17" users with this problem.

First time I saw this problem was the evening of 2/14 and then again last night 2/15

10.3.8 does seem to be the problem.
( Last edited by cteselle; Feb 16, 2005 at 03:29 PM. )

Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2005, 02:37 PM

I hope that they fix this really soon. It is getting really annoying to have to reboot especially when it's time critical that I get a file printed in time for class. I don't have the time right now to reinstall the OS either.
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

dirverlesscar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 06:20 PM

Been having similar problems (no KB or TP at all, but USB peripherals and BT working) and just got off the phone with Apple. Their solution: reinstall and upgrade only to 10.3.7.

Joy...

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 11:15 PM

bump-

anything new going on with this- it's getting really annoying to reboot my pb all the time.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2005, 11:24 PM

I had this problem, was able to make it seem to go away on my revA PB17 and OS X 10.3.8 after a complete maintenance cycle of:

1) repair permissions
2) run diskwarrior
3) re-repair permissions

Good luck!

Altair
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 02:16 PM

I finally found the time to reinstall osx and only upgrade to 10.3.7 It's the first time that I've had to reinstall OS X outside of a harddrive failure.
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules