Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Who is Buying the New PowerBooks?

View Poll Results: Are you Buying The New G4 PowerBook?
Poll Options:
Yes 120 votes (47.06%)
No, Because the G5 is around the corner. 40 votes (15.69%)
No 71 votes (27.84%)
Not sure 24 votes (9.41%)
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll
Who is Buying the New PowerBooks? (Page 2)
Mastersonics
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 01:22 PM

I will be getting a new 17"
since now i can hook up a 30" display

is anyone doing the same setup?

let me know

regards,
CJ

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by PowerBookOwner:
Then he will have a LONG wait.

Does anyone really think that Apple will get a full G5 chip into a 15" PowerBook without the heat problems?!?!

Just look at the heat in the PowerMacs and iMacs! And the numerous and loud fans to keep it all cool.

Be realistic.

The G5 chip as you know it today will not be in a PowerBook. IBM will have to come out with a G5 "mobile" version (similar to the Pentium M series) that will be underpowered and cooler. And if the G5 is barely beating out the G4 in many benchmarks, then even that small lead is reduced (when you go "mobile" edition) and you are right back to G4 performance.

I believe that you won't see ANY type of G5 chip in the PowerBook line until AT LEAST the WWDC in 2006.

Remember all those who predicted that the PowerMac 3.0 gHz G5 would be released around this time last year? Yeah. And were is that now? Exactly. And the 2.5 is simply an over-clocked 2.0 with water-cooling. Who were they kidding?

Many WinTel laptops have a full Pentium 4 in them, but look how large they are and how many fans they have running (i.e. loud and annoying). That is why the Pentium M (part of the Centrino spec) was designed. Is that what you want? A huge bulky and loud PowerBook just so you can get your beloved G5? It boggles the mind how people somehow think that Apple can squeeze a G5 1.6 gHz into a PowerBook 12" AND keep it cool AND keep the fan from coming on non-stop.

Again, IBM will have to come up with a scaled down version of the G5 for the PowerBook. This means performance sacrifices in the beginning.

IMHO, you will see yet one more G4 speed-bump (or maybe even a dual-core G4) from those released this week before you see a G5 PowerBook.

But all is not lost......

There will be a G5 Mobile Edition in the PowerBooks one day, just not anytime soon. And Apple has already told everyone that already.

PowerBook G5 - A Thermal Challenge

I say buy your new G4 PowerBook and enjoy it!

Tell me something I don't know

I said to hold out because he has a faster computer at work were he does his work on. He has a Pismo 400 which is plenty for internet.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 05:07 PM

I'm just waiting for ADC to verify my student status to order. I'm getting the 17" BTO with the 80GB HD ($80 for 20GB = $4/GB which is crazy, it makes much more sense to put the $80 difference towards whatever iPod is at the $399 pricerange rather than the $299 unit when the new ones are released - I'll wait to trade in my 20GB Zen until they are). Total is $2079 (really $2179 factoring in the cost of ADC, but even that is offset because apparently I'll get Tiger for free through it). I was very much leaning towards the 15" before the revision because of the premium on the 17" and portability concerns, but now the 17" is only $160 more for the same config plus optical audio connections, and I'll take every bit of screen real estate I can get to avoid withdrawal from 21" LCD I have at home. I went to the Apple store at the Mall of America yesterday; the 15" seemed huge compared to the 12", but the 17" didn't seem too incredibly different from the 15". Weight wasn't very different between them, with either 15 or 17 I felt like I needed both hands to comfortably move them. So, I'm glad I went and played around with them rather than being disparaged by "Lapzilla." I figure if I regret my choice, I can ebay the 17" and buy a 15" at the student price, heck I'd probably turn a profit that way. I'm very stoked, I've wanted a Powerbook since I learned of the TiBooks, and now that I have the cash and used a Mac all last semester I'm finally ready to join the "other" side (not really switching as I'll still have my 2 PC desktops).

Xaero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Daniel Bayer:
I'll pass.

The only thing that I like about the new ones are 8X DVD and faster graphics card. I just don't see 1.67 being all that much of a speed increase over my 1.33.

I just have too much in upgrades to warrant the pain of moving into a new machine. 2GB of ram, 7200 rpm drive, etc.

I think I will get 3 years out of mine before I upgrade as I am waiting on a rev-b G5.
I am thinking of getting one but my existing laptop has upgrades as well. Does anyone have any ideas/guesses when the G5 Powerbook will be out. Btw, you're lucky to live in Aspen. I went there last year snowboarding and it's a really nice place

Powerbook 15" coming soon...

scgf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2005, 12:28 PM

I bought a 15" 1.67GHz PowerBok from Apple's Regent Street store in London. I am very pleased with it.

I have previously owned a SP PowerMac G5 1.8GHz machine. I also had a 12" 1GHz G4 iBook. I must be honest and say I couldn't really tell them apart in daily use. For email, web browsing. MS Office etc.. they seemed pretty close in speed. OK, I wasn't doing iMovie work on the iBook or anything like that, but the lack of difference surprised me greatly.

I sold my PowerMac and bought a 20" iMac instead. I really liked the form factor. Since them, however, I found that I was using my iBook more and more, which is why I decided to go for a PowerBook instead.

Now I am thinking about selling the iMac and getting a Mac Mini to use for those tasks which benefit a server-like product - iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, EyeTV etc..

Having owned two G5 machines I really don't know what the fuss is about. A decent speed G4 is plenty fast enough. If you want something to finish quicker then start it earlier!

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2005, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by scgf:
If you want something to finish quicker then start it earlier!
Yo!

This is so well formulated!
They (on the Forums) always want a G5 PB, etc.
I started editing video on a mac II Sx or something like that. It did the job!
My main machine is now an iBook G4 1.something GHz with 1.25 GB of RAM.
To me, this machine is a MONSTER of power!

Peace.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 01:10 PM

My 15" 1.67ghz has been great! It's much faster than the old TI, and wow, burning a DVD in 6 minutes is amazing! (sure beats single speed!) About the only thing wrong with it is the Airport range, but since I live in an apartment, it isn't an issue most of the time.

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 12:30 AM

Doesn't look like those G5s are coming out anytime soon...
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5559311.html

But honestly, would it really matter? I've had the same laptop for the last 5 years, and I've been satisfied. If you really want the latest and greatest, your going to be perpetually dissatisfied.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 08:51 AM

I have a PB 800mhz DVI model. It has been a loyal computer from the very start. Although I am not a power user, I am ready for a new PB by this summer. Whether or not the G5 is out or not, I am going to purchase when I am ready.
I friend of mine purchased a new iBook three days before they announced the G4 model. He returned it to Apple for a G4 iBook, they never questioned any of it.
My concerns for the G5 PB are will it meet my needs. For example, how long will the battery last? An average user like me the G4 is still a capable, and sufficient enough processor.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 21, 2005, 11:30 AM

My 1.5 GHz PowerBook is serving me well. Now if the screen resolution and video card had been upgraded I might be tempted.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

The big problem is putting the G5 in a thin case like the PBG4. They will not put the Powerbook in a thicker heavier case, not going to happen.
The only way I can see Apple doing it is to create the rumored Workstation line of computers, then make a serious "Work portable". One that has the Power, but not all the sleek flashy, maybe just a little flashy. If they are seriously thinking of making a pro line, then it should be clear these people want power over form and that would give them an excuse to make a thicker "Pro Book" that can have a G5 and advanced video card, etc. They would have to market it along the Pro desktops as not to make people think this is one of the standard powerbooks. Dell does this with its Precision Workstations, they have a Portable thats bigger and boxier than their inspiron and latitude line, but it has power close to the workstation line as you can get. But they keep it separate from the other laptops. Just a thought.

porieux
Baninated
Feb 21, 2005, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by jman:
I was really waiting for the G5 Laptops and now we're stuck with another G4 chip with a slight boost.
Everybody knew the G5 laptops weren't coming out yet.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 03:46 PM

I was very tempted by the refurb 15" 1.33Ghz/256MB/60GB/Combo/AE/BT for $1499 that Apple offered last week. But I guess I'm still waiting for my TiBook to either die, run out of warranty, or not do something specifically well...I'm guessing Tiger will have something compelling for me to upgrade for.

Voch

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 06:24 PM

Well, I received my 12" PowerBook last Thursday, and it's fantastic. The 20" Cinema Display arrived several days earlier and was lonely until the PowerBook arrived. Since I was able to sell my 17" 1.25 ghz iMac G4 for $1000 and my 12" 500 mhz iBook G3 for $375, and I got the education discount on the new gear, I think I did pretty well over all. Battery life is a little shorter than I would like, and AirPort reception is noticeably (but not a ton) worse than the iBook was. The fan also comes on more than I would like (and way more than the iBook, which was never). But I knew all of these would be issues before I purchased. Overall, this was a great move for me. I'm sure rev. C or D owners probably aren't too impressed, but if you have an older PowerBook, or are thinking of upgrading from an iBook or lower-end desktop to a PowerBook, I think you'll be pleased.

Xiaopangzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 10:49 PM

I've always been one to buy the very best PowerBook available at the time (ever since my $8,000 20 or 25 MHz PB 170) and extend their lifetime for as long as possible until I could afford the top-line model again. It has been an extremely expensive and impractical approach, leaving me to struggle with a rather outdated PowerBook for a few years longer than desired each time before being able to make new purchases again.

Now that I'm entering my 40s and have a wife (and three daughters) who won't accept such extravagance, I'm a little more practical in being grudgingly willing to buy something a little closer to the mid-range, which makes it possible to buy a replacement mid-range computer within about three years. The amount of money I used to spend in the past on peripherals as well as periodically increased RAM and larger hard disks to prolong the life of my various aging PowerBooks over the years has been at least as expensive as buying a new one.

Accordingly, this last time, I bought the best iBook available at the time (800 MHz), hoping that I could afford a new PowerBook within two years. Although I've had to have the logic board replaced six times without any hope of Apple giving me a new G4 iBook as a replacement for all my lost work time, I still believe it was the best choice at the time. Unfortunately, though, I still can't afford a PowerBook G4, even though two years have now passed.

Anyway, I'd say, "Bite the bullet and get whatever iBook meets your current needs, and then purchase a the second round of PowerBook G5s." It is NEVER wise to buy the first model of any Macintosh portable when a new chip is introduced. They often have problems, which can be a real headache, and it is best to wait until Apple refines the design with it's second round of a new-chip PowerBook.

You'll have to face the fact that you'll get next to nothing if you sell your Pismo now or in six months, but there is no sense in struggling with a Pismo that already doesn't meet your needs. I also hate to admit it myself, but there also isn't much sense in buying a computer that exceeds your needs, because that feeling of power is extremely short-lived, and you're stuck with an overly expensive model that will soon become outdated. Besides, I really doubt that a G5 PowerBook will be out within six months, even if you were to take your chances on buying one of the first round models. I remember that the PowerBook G3 and G4 were delayed for month after month, and even year after year, which just became intolerably frustrating.

You'll get a better price for a relatively new iBook when you try to sell it a year or so from now than you would from tring to sell the Pismo dinosaur, which would have little more than sentimental value, and you'd avoid the frustration of dealing much longer with such an outdated machine. This is the kind of advice I've heard from others over the years, but I always turned a deaf ear, insisting on the very best that is available at the time, which turns out to be a very short time that doesn't justify the exorbitant price.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 10:53 PM

I ordered the 12" Combo with 100GB HDD and will be adding a 1GB stick to it.

I can't wait to get it. Odd thing is I was told by Apple Australia salesperson (not a reseller but actual Apple Store) that when you order a BTO they pull one from their stock, send it to Taiwan where it is given the added features, and then sent to here.

I always thought they literally "built to order" at the factory in Taiwan, not opened one up.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Xiaopangzi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 10:54 PM

I forgot to mention that it also depends on what peripherals you're using. I assume that you are using SCSI, unless you use USB and/or FireWire via a PC card, as I did for years. The problem with buying an iBook for the interim is that you won't have a PC card slot, so you will no longer be able to use your SCSI equipment if you are doing so now. If you want to keep using SCSI peripherals, of course you'd have to opt for a low-end PowerBook G4 with a SCSI port via a PC card until the second round of PB G5 come out—whenever that will be.

guywithFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 12:53 AM

ordered my 12" last night

see signature...
12" PowerBook G4 1.5GHz/1.25GB RAM/80GB/SuperDrive
1GB iPod Shuffle, 15GB 3rd Gen iPod, 80GB Black iPod Video

jman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 01:01 AM

I went and got the new 15inch "Ultimate Package" for the apple store in salem, NH. NH = No sales Tax! saved $210

Ultimate Package = 1.67Ghz/1GB RAM/128 VRAM/100GB HD

osxisfun
Feb 23, 2005, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by jman:
I went and got the new 15inch "Ultimate Package" for the apple store in salem, NH. NH = No sales Tax! saved $210

Ultimate Package = 1.67Ghz/1GB RAM/128 VRAM/100GB HD
apples stores sell 1.67 15" pbs with 128vram?

or did you order it there as a BTO?

thanks.

Ixion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 02:34 AM

Firstly, Buy in. If you're sitting at or below a 867mhz G4, I'd highly recommend you buy in. It's just too damn slow. I'm sitting on my Rev.A 12" Powerbook, and I'm dying, absolutely dying. I don't remember the last time the fan stopped, to be honest, and everything is slow...

I typically run iTunes 24/7, alongside Safari, Mail, Adium, and few Terminal Sessions. With this handful of applications alone, my little G4 is starved with its tiny 133fsb. When I start to do work in Quake 3 Arena and occassionally play a game of Macromedia Flash, I must go to greath lengths for these applications to run smoothly, especially when I want to play a frivoulous game of Photo Shop.

Buy in. It will feel good. You will enjoy it.

[[Controversial]] Lastly, just stay away from the nvidia chipsets on the Mac platform, please. I'm no zealot, except when it comes to paintball, but I've got a friend in the industry... My brother's boyfriend is good friends with some software engineers at nVidia. I used to tease them that their graphics drivers on OS X simply weren't up to snuff. They took all the fun out of it when they readily admitted this was in fact the truth. My kingdom for a Radeon!

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 07:44 AM

RevA pricing will be a deterrent for me aside from the bugs...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Ixion:
If you're sitting at or below a 867mhz G4, I'd highly recommend you buy in.
Depends on what you do. My 667 DVI is still quite handy but not a speed demon by any means. For web surfin', news readin', and older MAME game playin' it still works great. Of course, I'm missing out on all the new games and video editing and such but I don't care yet. Admittedly, I also have a PC to do some CPU-intensive things if/when they come up (re-encoding DiVX files, for example...I let my Athlon do that).

I am upgrading by the end of the year as my AppleCare runs out, though. And anything I get will be an excellent performer for what I do. I'll probably grab the last of the G4 series or something...

Voch

Forum Links
Forum Rules