Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini video corruption at 1920X1200

Mac Mini video corruption at 1920X1200
TheGameguru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 03:58 PM

I have my Mac Mini connected via DVI to an HP L2335 23" LCD running at 1920X1200

I see severe graphics corruption on anything with a black background (web pages, games etc..)

I do not get this corruption running on a 17" LCD at 1280X1024

Is anyone else seeing this? It almost reminds me of a PC running an ATI video card where under the drivers tab you have to select the alternate DVI frequency to avoid corruption over 1600X1200

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2005, 04:30 PM

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your entire post.

emdash
Jan 25, 2005, 04:44 PM

Yes, I have this same problem (stuff that looks like static in black regions of the screen). I'm running a 17" Apple Studio Display through a Dr. Bott DVIator.

Someone on the Apple discussion boards reported that switching from an old to a new Apple DVI --> ADC converter solved the problem for him (apparently there were two versions of this product made, and the /B one is the good one). So far I haven't decided it's worth $100 to me to see if this will fix my problem.

At least one or two other people have reported the problem on non-Apple displays, so you make two or three that I've heard of, Gameguru.

People on the Apple boards are suggesting DisplayConfigX, a piece of shareware that lets you tweak various display settings that don't appear in System Prefs. It appears to be a trial-and-error process to find the right tweaks, though, so that's not particularly appealing either. sigh.

soellman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2005, 04:51 PM

ah i seem to have this problem too with my sgi 1600sw + multilink (using dvi).. i thought it was maybe due to the 1600sw not officially being supported with dvi, but i guess i'll try that DisplayConfigX, thanks!

d_oob
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 03:04 AM

Could this be the problem that I've been encountering? Although I've had my 17" Studio Display for a year, it has only started to do this weird flickering, static colored lines, going to black for a random length of time and them all of a sudden coming back on as if nothing happened.

Wiggling the DVI connection, while this was going on did nothing to remedy the problem. I don't see how this could be a refresh problem as I mentioned this has only started in the last few months and I've had the monitor for over a year. Could it be that the monitor is going bad?

I would like to try the mentioned program (displayconfigx) but the problem happens so randomly, I wouldn't know where to begin to figure out what refresh rate to use. I will try hooking it up to a friends 17" Powerbook (as he's the only other person I know with a DVI connection) and see if the problem persist.
retired pismo 400 G4, macbook 2.0GHz, mac pro 2.66GHz

Armando
Jan 26, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by TheGameguru:
I have my Mac Mini connected via DVI to an HP L2335 23" LCD running at 1920X1200

I see severe graphics corruption on anything with a black background (web pages, games etc..)

Is anyone else seeing this? It almost reminds me of a PC running an ATI video card where under the drivers tab you have to select the alternate DVI frequency to avoid corruption over 1600X1200
No problems running at 1920 x 1200 using the Apple 23" LCD:
Mac Mini with Apple 23" LCD

soellman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2005, 04:29 PM

there's a useful post in the apple discussions about this (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.68a4a67b/7) which makes me think that this is a software problem with the apple-supplied driver which may well be fixed sometime soon. someone thinks it's a problem with the radeon's "alternate DVI mode" whatever that is..

d_oob
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by soellman:
there's a useful post in the apple discussions about this (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.68a4a67b/7) which makes me think that this is a software problem with the apple-supplied driver which may well be fixed sometime soon. someone thinks it's a problem with the radeon's "alternate DVI mode" whatever that is..
I am hoping that it is just a software problem and it can be updated soon. This is a very peculiar problem for me and possibly all who experience the same thing. My monitor just sits here. I don't move it around so there is no chance for it to get physically damaged. I wipe the screen when it gets dusty, but I don't see how Apple could have made such a sensitive screen. And if it is hardware related, why is Apple's own products not compatible with each other??! I'm going to check with ATI site about any discussion about this too. Thanks for the link to the thread.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 26, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Armando:
No problems running at 1920 x 1200 using the Apple 23" LCD:
Mac Mini with Apple 23" LCD
How well does Expos� work with your 32 MB GPU? Choppy?

velodev
Senior User
Jan 26, 2005, 06:38 PM

Are you using the cables from the L2335? I have the same monitor connected to my powerbook using their cables and whenever I ran a black background I get red streaks and noise when looking at the GUI.

I found the solution one day after switching to my PowerMac, when the AlBook was in the shop, and the cables make all the difference. I guess the reason HP was able to undercut Apple with a 23" LCD... is they skimped on the cables.

emdash
Jan 26, 2005, 07:23 PM

I found the solution one day after switching to my PowerMac, when the AlBook was in the shop, and the cables make all the difference. I guess the reason HP was able to undercut Apple with a 23" LCD... is they skimped on the cables.
Ahhh, you're just trying to make me go out and buy the Apple DVI --> ADC converter, eh?

Anyway, one little factoid that may be a clue in this mystery is that my static problem seems to correlate pretty strongly with graphic-intensive events. Like, if I scrub through the dock, I get little bursts of static each time a program name appears above the dock; if I mouse over expose'd windows I get little bursts of static each time a window changes appearance; one way to make huge amounts of static show up is to turn dock magnification all the way up and then scrub back and forth.

Armando
Jan 26, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
How well does Expos� work with your 32 MB GPU? Choppy?
Yes, unfortuately it's choppy, but definitely usable. I wish Apple offers a 64MB upgrade as an option down the road. Apparently it's not as much the speed of the graphics card, as it's the amount of memory. You need at least 64MB for running at 1920 x 1200. It's swapping to system RAM instead of video RAM when using Expose.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Are you using the cables from the L2335? I have the same monitor connected to my powerbook using their cables and whenever I ran a black background I get red streaks and noise when looking at the GUI.

It isn't the cables. I'm using a Viewsonic vp201s with the Mini and I'm having the same issue. Same monitor on my PC has no issues. You telling me it is the cable? Fact is, the Mini shouldn't be running anything higher than a 17"/19" 1280 x 1024 monitor. And even thats a hefty load for the Mini's crappy video system.

JW

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2005, 12:01 PM

I'd find it very hard to believe that Apple would release something, say that it'll do 1920x1200 and then find out that it won't without nasty artefacting.

There's something amiss in these setups. Quite possible it's the Mini itself, obviously. A process of elimination with other equipment should work out what pretty quickly.

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

Sounds like a defective DVI setup along the line, not necessarily the analog output.
Aloha

d_oob
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Sounds like a defective DVI setup along the line, not necessarily the analog output.
AND not necessarily the MacMini. This is happening all over the place. Popping up in random discussions relating to particular screens, MacMini, Powermac G4's, Studio 17", Alu 20", 23", etc. It is just too bad they are all spread out and not widely known (YET) that this is most-likely a driver (ATI) problem. The lastest OS update 10.3.8, which main update includes new drivers from ATI for Radeon cards - HASN'T fixed this problem as it still happens on my system (Dual 867 G4, Radeon 9000 Pro, 17" Studio Display clear, OS 10.3.8)

What is happening on my screen has gotten so bad that I find I use my computer 1/2 the time now, I am less productive and I have deadlines. Good job Apple. I've searched all over MacFixit.com and found little info. Is this problem not serious enough to get attention? Come on, this is our displays! Our interface with the mac.

Can people who read these threads please start bringing the problem up on sites like MacFixit.com so it will get more attention and possibly get it fixed.

Burke
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 11:50 PM

It almost reminds me of a PC running an ATI video card where under the drivers tab you have to select the alternate DVI frequency to avoid corruption over 1600X1200
This would fix it if there were an option for it. It's cured DVI problems for me a couple of times.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2005, 09:03 PM

Similar problem here with a new Apple DVI 23" Cinema and a 1.42 mini. In dark areas on the screen, it's like lots of green pixels flashing on and off. Same display connected to a PowerBook with 64MB VRAM does not show the same problem.

emdash
Feb 21, 2005, 04:05 PM

Incidentally, for those who haven't seen the problem, this guy posted several pictures (and even a movie clip) of his display corruption:

http://www.waynegrant.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/screen/

BTW, does anyone know exactly what the "reduce DVI frequency" and "use alternate DVI mode" checkboxes (in the ATI Windows driver) actually do? I tried some freelance reducing of my DVI frequency using SwitchResX, and all hell broke loose. I don't want to do that again blindly, but if I knew what values to shoot for it might go a little better....

TheGameguru  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 10:50 AM

amazed that this hasnt been fixed yet..

Has anyone who has this problem called Apple and discussed it with Tech support?

What is their answer?

I'll have to set aside some time and actually call them I guess.

blips
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2005, 12:22 PM

Apple has a new updated 10.3.9 coming out in late March early April, hopefully they will have a fix in there.

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2005, 02:31 PM

Same problem here with NEC LCD1920NX, in 1280x1024.

DVI cable = corruption.
VGA cable = No problem.

If I reduce resolution to 1024x768, I don't see that corruption, but the screen is no longer in native resolution so not very sharp.

The ATI drivers (from ATI) are not solving the problem.

I just hope it's not hardware related. I don't want to ship back the mini I waited 4 weeks to have!
( Last edited by truckweb; Mar 2, 2005 at 04:39 PM. )
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by blips:
Apple has a new updated 10.3.9 coming out in late March early April, hopefully they will have a fix in there.
I won't bet on this�

truckweb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 04:42 PM

We seem to be a little minority with this problem because each time someone calls the Apple Support, they allways say that �it's the fist time we ear about this�...

Or is it Apple asking them to say this in order to minimize the problem?

Are we ever going to see a fix for this problem? Mac mini Rev.B?
Truckweb.
Apple Mac mini - 1.42Ghz, 512Mb, SD, AE

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 10:19 PM

i'm planning on ordering a 24in Dell LCD soon for my MINI and my PC. Should I hold off on this? As i wouldn't be able to run the display in native mode as its 1920x1200 in DVI mode
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 12:42 AM

Does the Dell 24" do VGA as well? A Mini and Dell 24" setup would be hot and I've been thinking about that same setup recently. How could you pass something like that up? Especially with the price Dell is charging on their new display!

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by liquidtrance123:
i'm planning on ordering a 24in Dell LCD soon for my MINI and my PC. Should I hold off on this? As i wouldn't be able to run the display in native mode as its 1920x1200 in DVI mode
Isn't this asking a bit much of the Mini's inferior graphics?

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by elvis2000:
Isn't this asking a bit much of the Mini's inferior graphics?
Well if its possible for the 20in and 23in Apple displays to work on the mini's why would it be any different for the 24in dell?
20" Apple Cinema Display

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 03:47 PM

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

apparently here is someone with a 2405fpw running @ 1920x1200 in DVI mode and its working fine for him on his Mini.

Just thought everyone would like to know.
There is hope!
20" Apple Cinema Display

MacRicky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 02:16 PM

Knowledge Base

ATI Customer Care > Solve a Problem > Display > var folderID=67;
___RADEON 9200 MAC EDITION may show display corruption

The information in this article applies to the following configurations:

RADEON 9200 MAC EDITION

Mac OS 9.2.2

Mac OS X 10.2.8 or higher

Users may see corruption in the form of green or other colored pixels appearing to the left of windows on the finder or randomly through-out a 3D scene. The issue is not reproducible in exactly the same way for everyone.

Situations where this issue may occur include:

wake from sleep

systems have been running approximately 20 minutes

To correct this issue, download and install RADEON 9200 MAC EDITION ROM version 124 (113-A27502-124).

_

This will not help the mini YET

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 03:48 PM

Well if its possible for the 20in and 23in Apple displays to work on the mini's why would it be any different for the 24in dell?
"Working" and "Working Well" are unique concepts.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by truckweb:
We seem to be a little minority with this problem because each time someone calls the Apple Support, they allways say that �it's the fist time we ear about this�...

Or is it Apple asking them to say this in order to minimize the problem?

Are we ever going to see a fix for this problem? Mac mini Rev.B?

This may help...

http://www.freewebs.com/themagius/macintoshmini.htm

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 05:00 PM

Well I went ahead and bought a 20in Apple Cinema Display, it works fine and i'm currently in love. I'm thinking on taking it out to dinner tonight and back to my place for alittle action
20" Apple Cinema Display

Lava Lamp Freak
Mar 16, 2005, 11:11 PM

I have a HP 2335 and get the artifacts on both my PowerBook and PC. The difference is the artifacts are blue on the PC but green and red on the PowerBook. I'd assumed I had a bad display until I saw this thread. The video linked above is the same problem I have, but not nearly as bad as in the one in the video. I have a GeForce 6800 GT in the PC, so the problem isn't just with Radeon cards.
( Last edited by Lava Lamp Freak; Mar 16, 2005 at 11:17 PM. )

historylme
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 05:47 PM

Well I went ahead and bought a 20in Apple Cinema Display, it works fine and i'm currently in love. I'm thinking on taking it out to dinner tonight and back to my place for alittle action

Forum Links
Forum Rules