Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > plug stuck in headphone jack!

plug stuck in headphone jack!
acm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2005, 08:34 PM

Hi all.

I don't visit here too often anymore, but was hoping to get some suggestions regarding repair service. I had my speakers plugged into my headphone jack and accidently tripped over the cord... resulting in half the plug stuck in my headphone jack.

I know i'll need to get it repaired, and will likely have to send my computer out, so was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what damage can i expect to my pocketbook. The store is closed and i can't get any answers over the phone at the moment.

I have a 550 tibook... anyone have experience with this?

many thanks.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2005, 11:48 PM

I've heard of this happening with the power tip of the AC adapter in an iBook.

Well, I did a search and it turns out it was a Powerbook. I guess I came across the thread cross-posted in the iBook forum.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

acm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by ccsccs7
I've heard of this happening with the power tip of the AC adapter in an iBook.

Well, I did a search and it turns out it was a Powerbook. I guess I came across the thread cross-posted in the iBook forum.
Thanks. I appreciate the link (wasn't exactly sure what to search under). I think I'll try to coax it out in the morning if I can find tools small enough.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 11:20 AM

Get some cheap room-temperature weld and a paper clip. Weld the end of the paperclip to the tip of the plug. Wait for it to dry and then just pull on the paper clip and with any luck the tip will come out.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2005, 12:56 PM

Or just use JBWeld...I've heard of it used it in cars where the key has come off in the ignition.

acm  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 06:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'd much rather try everything I can before sending it in.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2005, 09:10 PM

My dad was able to get a broken key out of the ignition of a Ford Windstar using only a paper clip or two.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Link
Professional Poster
May 31, 2005, 10:29 PM

Hehe, you have to have a very loose key to do that Admittedly, our car key is so much so that you can pull it out while the car is running
Aloha

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 11:16 PM

I'd definitely try the JBWeld, it's going to cost a fortune for apple to fix it. New logic board at accidental damage rates are costly, $1100+.
( Last edited by GSixZero; May 31, 2005 at 11:29 PM. )

ImpulseResponse

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2005, 02:18 AM

Since a mini plug is not seated very tightly I would agree that JBWeld on the tip of a paper clip used very carefully will probably due the trick. I would much rather try this sub $10 fix than send my powerbook out for a much more costly repair. And if it doesn't work, than you can try more conventional methods!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

FeralCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 08:49 AM

JBWeld on a paperclip tip must be like playing operation: you do NOT want to touch the sides of the audio jack & smear JBWeld on the walls of the jack.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2005, 09:40 AM

That's why you put the JBWeld on the broken end of the headphone plug, seat it correctly, and shazzam!

Forum Links
Forum Rules