Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Monitor Question

External Monitor Question
PMDaly
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 04:17 PM

How do turn off the powerbook's monitor and use an external monitor as the main? I have a 15" pb and need to use a 17" external monitor. I have all the right adapters, but I need to know how to set it up. BTW I'm running Tiger. Thanks in advance.
-P

FeralCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by PMDaly
How do turn off the powerbook's monitor and use an external monitor as the main? I have a 15" pb and need to use a 17" external monitor. I have all the right adapters, but I need to know how to set it up. BTW I'm running Tiger. Thanks in advance.
-P
Just mirror the output to the 17":

1) Plug in the DVI or VGA from the monitor into the DVI port or DVI-to-VGA adaptor
2) If it doesn't automatically mirror your desktop, go to System Preferences -> Monitors
3) Press the "Detect Displays" button
4) Check the "Mirror displays" checkbox

Then, if you have an external keyboard & mouse, just connect them to the USB ports (or mouse to keyboard, keyboard to USB on the PBook), and close the lid of the PBook. You're all set! If you don't have an external keyboard/mouse, you can just dim the display all the way down to dark. Or, you could do this anyway if you're worried about heat; closing the lid could cause the cooling of the PowerBook to be less efficient.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 2, 2005, 11:12 PM

You don't need to mirror -- leave that setting alone. Just put the machine to sleep with the lid closed, connect the display, and then connect the external keyboard and mouse. (Plugging them in will wake the PowerBook. If they're already connected, press something on the keyboard to wake it.)

That's it.

tooki

FeralCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 10:07 PM

Tooki: Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't have my PowerBook when I wrote that, so I was posting from memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules