Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the G5 powerbook....hahaha

the G5 powerbook....hahaha
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 06:41 PM

this

more bs, right..??............
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 07:04 PM

A friend of mine linked me to this earlier, basically the original is a fake google cache page using the @ trick to make it look legit, because there's so much crap you hardly notice it. Besides, since when did apple consider a 1440x900 screen HD? A 1280x720 or higher screen is HD as well, but guess what they don't call the current 15"ers.

BTW the article came from here:
http://homepage.mac.com/dzweben/pr/jun/pbg5.html
Aloha

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 07:29 PM

u mean everything on the internet isn't real??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Samanoske
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2005, 08:23 PM

good one heheh
.- OS X aDDICTED -.

redheadfred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 12:12 AM

i hate having to keep dreaming...

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2005, 01:20 AM

Maybe one day in my lifetime... they'll be a G5.... and maybe one day I'll be able to afford it.

FiftiesDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 02:47 AM

and now that they are saying Apple will be switching to Intel....I'm guessing we will NEVER see the G5 in a PB

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2005, 03:33 AM

A G5 in a 17? Maybe. A 15? OK, I could see that. A G5 processor in a 12?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

yudman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 04:47 AM

After hearing the latest news, it would seem that the next Powerbook would feature an Intel processor. Strange to think isn't it... "The new apple Powerbook, featuring Centrino technology!" What a strange future awaits us.

FiftiesDean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 12:03 PM

I can hear the Imperial Death March playing......

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2005, 04:29 AM

Eh... using an intel processor like the Pentium-M (if that's even being considered) would be a step up from the G4 IMHO. I'd much rather see that than the G5. They are about the same clock for clock I believe, and the P-M runs a heck of a lot cooler... better batt life... etc... and it will probably make for a cheaper powerbook. I have no problem with buying parts from Intel if it makes the end product: 1) better for the same price or 2) same for better price... Either way, I'll be getting one... it's not like they are going to stop using OSX
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

yudman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 08:23 AM

Hmmm, Pentium M for Powerbooks. Not a bad idea. I just hope the next generation of powerbooks is still as thin and light as this one.
Powerbook G4 17" 1.5 Ghz, 1GB RAM; Will never go back to PC notebooks!!!

James L
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2005, 05:39 PM

Who cares what the name of the next Powerbook processor is, as long as it is a next gen chip with a significant boost over what we currently have.

tcphoto
Jun 5, 2005, 05:50 PM

Intel chip? Isn't this the second sign of Armagedon? Next thing you know, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates will be joining forces to produce a Supercomputer that takes telepathic commands, no mouse or keyboard needed.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2005, 06:36 PM

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
They are about the same clock for clock I believe, and the P-M runs a heck of a lot cooler... better batt life... etc...
There is a big misconception about the P-M. The P-M processor when runs in its nominal clock speed, it is hot as hell. Not like a P4, but a lot hotter than an G4. When I watch a DVD on my wife's P-M Dell, I don't put it on my lap because I find the heat unbearable (but not so with a Powerbook).

What the P-M has and the G4 has not, is that the P-M can change its operating clock speed almost continuously to really low levels. A 1.6 GHz P-M based laptop with little to no CPU load, will run at 600 MHz when plugged in and even as low as 90-100 MHz (I don't remember the exact number) when on battery. You do understand what does this means for battery and heat, when the processor is not stressed. But, again, this is not because the P-M is inherently cool (as for example the MPC7448 from Freescale which dissipates less than 10 W @ 1.4 GHz), but because it has the technology to dynamically scale its clock speed according to usage.

FeralCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
There is a big misconception about the P-M. The P-M processor when runs in its nominal clock speed, it is hot as hell. Not like a P4, but a lot hotter than an G4. When I watch a DVD on my wife's P-M Dell, I don't put it on my lap because I find the heat unbearable (but not so with a Powerbook).
You are exactly right. I just bought a 1.5 GHz 12" PowerBook, and gave back the 1.6 GHz Dell Lattitude PoS that I had running Linux at work. Besides all of the obvious problems w/ Linux on laptops, the one thing that really bugged me was how slow that processor was. Everyone says that the Centrino is "great" and "fast", but really it didn't wow me at all when it came to compiling code or other CPU intensive tasks. Hell, Firefox would frequently peg the CPU all the time just to render webpages and graphics. And w/ the 2.4.x Linux kernel, audio would skip all the time because of its poor latency.

The PowerBook that's on my lap was not at all warm or uncomfortable yesterday when I was converting my 1300+ song iTunes library to 128 bit AAC from MP3, and the CPU was pegged to 100%. The G4 is still an awesome chip, and I would hate it if they put a Pentium M in the PowerBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules