Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrading to Leopard

Upgrading to Leopard
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 01:27 PM

Since Leopard will be using the intel processor would upgrading to Leopard on a G4 be possible?
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 01:32 PM

I'm not sure if anybody knows much of anything about Leopard, other than it will be next version of OS X to be released in a far, far distant future and will run on an Intel processor machine.

If I were to guess though, I can almost 100% guarantee that any machine capable of running Tiger right now, will work under Leopard as well....

davidski
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2005, 01:32 PM

Yes. It will run on PPC as well.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by warra
Since Leopard will be using the intel processor would upgrading to Leopard on a G4 be possible?
Tiger uses Intel processors as well and upgrading a G4 to it was possible.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by davidski
Yes. It will run on PPC as well.
How do you know that?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
How do you know that?
Because it will come out in the 5 year time frame that Apple stated the PPC would be fully supported (at least by Apple) for.

OreoCookie
Jun 8, 2005, 03:59 PM

Steve said it himself, it'll be a gradual transition and most of their userbase will be on some PowerPC. So don't worry about Leopard just yet.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2005, 09:09 AM

Because Apple is not dropping support for PowerPC any time soon. Everything from the G3 onward is still PPC, and a LOT of people own them (their entire installed user base). It won't be until at least 2010 I'd say before we start to say goodbye to PPC Macs being supported with new OSes.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2005, 09:21 AM

Classic may not carry over to Intel but all flavors of OSX will work on both. And it's likely Jaguar users will still get support for a few more years.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2005, 09:32 AM

Anyone who has questions about the switch to Intel should watch the Keynote... http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

Steve Jobs answers all your questions there, and anything that isn't answered, no one other than those working on the project at Apple have answers to.

Aside from the "guest speakers" from Microsoft, Mathematica and whoever else was there (I zoned out on the guest speaker bits), its a pretty informative, interesting, albeit subpar compared to keynotes past, keynote.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 11:29 AM

What amazed me was how the Microsoft woman was like a clone of Bill Gates - she even sounded like him. Man, they need to hire a new presentations trainer, because she was totally embarassingly bad. The Wolfram guy, however, was tops - very entertaining.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
What amazed me was how the Microsoft woman was like a clone of Bill Gates - she even sounded like him. Man, they need to hire a new presentations trainer, because she was totally embarassingly bad.
Yep, there's nothing quite as uncomfortable as the utter silence in a room full of thousands after an opening dud joke.

FeralCat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Steve said it himself, it'll be a gradual transition and most of their userbase will be on some PowerPC. So don't worry about Leopard just yet.
In fact, this should be obvious, since not all Apple products will use Intel processors until the end of '07, when Leopard is coming out at the end of '06. This was stated during the WWDC keynote. Also note that Apple will be releasing PPC products between now and the end of '07; Steve said "We've got some really great PowerPC products in the pipeline..." at one point during the keynote.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 12:16 PM

For all those concerned about software compatibility... read this:

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=7441

1. Apple made a mistake in choosing Intel because everyone knows they could've and should've: 1) used the abundant IBM PPCs in the pipeline and/or 2) just used the Cell processor in it's Macintosh line.

I think it's safe to say IBM has become unwilling to design and fab a chip that is essentially a custom part for Apple. IBM for whatever reason has not embraced the PPC970 in it's own products. I whole heartedly think that both Apple and IBM thought the G5 was going to ramp in speed without a problem and that the move to 90nm would go with out a problem. Now faced with "power density" issues requiring additional cooling on Apple's part, poor yields, and IBM's general move away from anything desktop - it probably didn't make any business sense to continue to develop the additional CPUs Apple would require for their product line. Unless IBM was going to aggressively use it's own CPUs, Apple's 2% market-share is not going to cover the cost of developing and fabbing the PPC970. I also think it's safe to say that in it's current form the G5 is dead @ 2.7GHz.

As for the Cell Processor - Everything I've read about the cell processor has said that due to it very poor out-of-order execution it is not at all suitable for a desktop CPU with current software. Without completely rewriting significant amount of code, this is not possible. Furthermore, the problems with rewriting and optimizing code for the Cell processor would have been an order of magnitude more difficult for everyone - much more difficult than moving to x86.

2. Apple will orchestrate and finish the largest shipment/upgrade of Intel based Macs in the history of computers by replacing the 20-40 million actively used PPC Macs in exactly 2 years. This will cause all PPC Macs to become obsolete in exactly 2 years.

With 20-40 million active mac users and Apple selling about 3.5 million macs per year, at the current rate it will take 11 years to completely refresh the current mac community with Intel products. Considering Apple doesn't plan to ship an all Intel product line until 2007, it would take more than 11 years. Even after Apple begins shipping nothing but Intel-based computers, it will be years before the Intel based Macs become a majority of the actively used macs (at least 4-6 years from now).

3. Because of Apple's incredible replacement program, my PPC Mac will be useless in two years because all software developers will start shipping Intel only versions in 2007 to the 40 million new Intel based Macs sold on 1/1/2007.

Conservatively, we are looking at PPC being the predominant Mac CPU in actively used Macs for the next 4-6 years. In other words if software developers want to sell software to the MAJORITY of Mac customers, they will have to continue PPC software development for at least 4-6 years and it will probably be profitable to develop software for longer than that.

My 4-6 year time period before the majority of PPCs are phased out is very conservative in my opinion.

So basically, everyone needs to chill! Am I dead on, probably not but there is such a large group of OMFG this is the end of Apple because Intel is evil and so is Steve Jobs because he very clearly didn't think this through and they should've just used a cell processor because my new Mac is worthless and so I'll show Apple by never buying another Mac again - long live the switching back to Wintel movement people

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
What amazed me was how the Microsoft woman was like a clone of Bill Gates - she even sounded like him. Man, they need to hire a new presentations trainer, because she was totally embarassingly bad. The Wolfram guy, however, was tops - very entertaining.
She didn't come off as a clone of Gates in my view. She wasn't the most fluid presenter, but she didn't do a poor job, IMO.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 01:11 PM

I've never been captivated by Roz Ho from the Microsoft MBU. Boring, boring, boring - just so completely opposite any other presenter at any keynote. She always manages to reinforce a "Microsoft stereotype". Regardless of her job she shouldn't do public speaking, especially at Apple events.

Theo Gray from Wolfram, however, really needs to be at all of them

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 02:10 PM

You can't resist the Corporate Culture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules