Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Webcam Solutions For Powerbook G4

Webcam Solutions For Powerbook G4
Ixion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2007, 05:41 PM

I've recently moved a thousand miles away from my wife to Texas to continue training in the United States Army. I recently purchased a MacBook and the built-in webcam is wonderful and is really easing my wife's lonliness, what with being able to see me and all. Unfortunately, she inherited my old Al Powerbook G4 12" Rev A with no webcam, and I'm missing her quite a lot...

So, what sort of webcams are available these days that have great Mac OS 10.4 support? Of course there is the iSight, but that's just a touch too pricey. Has anyone got a suggestion for a reasonably priced alternative solution?
Michael J Burling
Systems:
Rev.A 12" PowerBook G4 (867MHz//1.12GB 266MHz//100GB HDD @ 5400rpm//Re-writable//Tiger)
Rev.B 13" White MacBook (1.83GHz Core 2//512MB 667MHz//60GB HDD @ 5400rpm//Re-Writable//Tiger)

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
May 13, 2007, 08:30 PM

Xbox 360 Live camera

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 09:08 PM

You must be going to Ft. Bliss. It gets real hot over there. Anyways, try to find a used camcorder thats tape based. Should be able to hook up through the firewire port. Not sure of the usb ones but check out macmall and some other mac sites to see if they sell the usb type. Good luck training. I retired in 95.
Randy

Edit: check this out.. macam : USB webcam support for Mac OS X . Looks like a driver for most usb cams.
( Last edited by bearcatrp; May 13, 2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added sentence.)

rjt1000
Senior User
May 13, 2007, 10:04 PM

Check out this thread for info on ichat compatible usb webcams:
http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...cams-will-you/

Forum Links
Forum Rules