Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Finder list-view trick problems (and history)

Finder list-view trick problems (and history)
ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2008, 08:34 PM

You know what Command+Option+Left-arrow does, don't you? In list View in the Finder, it collapses all selected List view triangles, and has done this since System 7, which I believe is when they added List View triangles (System 1's list view had neither triangles, nor icons!) Simply Command+A, then Command+Option+Left-arrow, to collapse all triangles in the window. Now in System 7, you could also use Command+Option+Right-Arrow to open all selected List View triangles, including nested ones, and this was also often done with select all. In OS X, 10.5, you can do Command+Option+Right-Arrow as well... even though, when done on a busy home folder, Pictures Folder, Music Folder, or Hard Drive, the result is a mess. A HD or Home folder one could easily crash the Finder with all the triangles, and would make the system very unresponsive.

Incidentally, Opening all list-view triangles on the HD was often done in System 7.0/7.1, to use the Find command's Show All Files option properly. Of course, you had MUCH less clutter on your disk at that point.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 23, 2008, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the tip! I was just going through some old backups with lots of folders through list view earlier in the day, and thought it would be great to open and close folders with a key combo. I didn't bother to check up on it, but I'm glad I read your post.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2008, 09:28 PM

Nice.

But why did you not post it in the Mac OS X forum (-> "Discussion and support of all Mac operating systems.") ?

-t

ryaxnb  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2008, 11:04 PM

Oops... wrong forum
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2008, 01:49 AM

Also works in iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules