Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Bose SoundDock vs B&W Zeppelin

Bose SoundDock vs B&W Zeppelin
Anto39x
Jul 9, 2008, 04:35 AM

Hi everyone... I'm on once more looking for your expert and excellent comments to try and help make up my mind what Speaker System to buy for my existing 5th Generation 80GB iPod and new iPhone 3G (July 11th). I have fallen in love with the B&W Zeppelin and really want to get that as I already have a high end hi-fi system with Rotel Amps and CD player with 603 Series B&W speakers. But a mate of mine has the very excellent Bose SoundDock which is half the price... so I'm finding it hard to make a solid decision. Will I be getting double the system for double the price or seeing that it will only be a bedroom accessory... will I really get to fully experience the difference between system. I'm a lover of low-fi, strings based music... simple vocals etc... (Antony and the Johnsons, David Sylvian, Rufus Wainwright, Thomas Feiner (Anywhen) to name but a few)... review of both system are head for head... always 5 star.. so I just dunno which to get...

I had a similar issue before when purchasing my 30" ACD... compared to the 23" ACD.... the price was quite different... but I went with the 30" and loved my decision... I want to invest for the future here with my proposed new iPod Speaker system... I love design and I love crystal clear sound quality at low levels... which would you GO FOR???

Any comments most welcome...

Yours sincerely,
Irish Music and Mac Fan....

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 06:09 AM

The Bose SoundDock doesn't come close.

And BOTH of them are topped (well, the SoundDock is smashed to SMITHEREENS) by the Harman-Kardon Go+Play, which (at €350 here in Germany) is cheaper than the new SoundDock (€400).

It may be ugly, arguably, but the SoundDock stands absolutely no chance against it.

The Go + Play's bass is also refreshingly dry and solid, while the Zeppelin tends to be too boomy from the stuff I've heard on it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2008, 11:14 AM

None of those if you need to be able to receive data on the iPhone while you are listening to it. The iPhone causes interference with both of those. The alternative is to get a shielded speaker system that has the "Made for iPhone" label, or put the iPhone in airplane mode. If that doesn't bother you, the B&W Zeppelin would be better, but like analogika said, a Go+Play would be even better. The Harman-Kardon has a more neutral and clearer sound, the Zeppelin tends to sound like it is over-amplified to me.

jogi
Jul 9, 2008, 07:04 PM

none. buy a pair of B&W 601 speakers + amp.... same price much better sound
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules