Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple, stop breaking my macbook.

Apple, stop breaking my macbook.
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2009, 12:27 PM

I bought a unibody, 2.4GHz MacBook a few days after they were released. It was great, but after around 2 months the 'y' key kept coming off, and there was also some sort of smear inside the screen.

So I take it to Apple, and they don't have the part. Okay, understandable! They phone me telling me they have a new top housing ready, and a new display. I hand it in, and 8 days later I get a call saying "Hi Kyle, we haven't started working on your machine yet - we think that the smear is liquid damage, you're own fault". I'm thinking: hmm, okay. They said water got through the Apple logo and so they aren't willing to replace it. I guess, given the fact that I did once spill a tiny bit of water on the front of the machine that this was plausible.

Day 9, and I get my MacBook back with a new top housing and a pretty great clean too. I come home, and it isn't charging. It was before I handed it in. So I book an appointment, take it down and they say it needs a new logic board. They don't have in stock - I'll let this slide too, understandable - but they say they have put it on high priority.

That was on Thursday. I get a call about 20 minutes ago saying "Hi Kyle - you're macbook is fixed and ready to go. We checked it and it is working. Come down and collect!" - Great! Well, not so great because 10 minutes later they phone again: "Hi Kyle - sorry to phone you but there's an issue with your microphone now. So we'd appreciate it if you didn't come down and waited a few more days".

I'm having some serious bad luck. -sigh-

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 14, 2009, 02:57 PM

Sucks to hear, but it happens. At least they caught another problem before giving it back to you, otherwise you'd be wasting even more money and time driving back home, finding out the mic doesn't work, booking a time with the Apple Genius just to have him tell you that what you already know, then to ship it out again.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

OreoCookie
Mar 14, 2009, 03:50 PM

Closed as per OP's request. His machine has been fixed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cold Warrior
Mar 14, 2009, 04:09 PM

Next time save yourself the driving and call Apple's 1-800 number. They'll ship you a box with a prepaid label then ship it back to you when it's done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules