Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone OS 3.0 to be previewed next week...

iPhone OS 3.0 to be previewed next week... (Page 3)
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:32 AM

Thanks!

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Hmmm, seems the DS is fine with connecting peer to peer over WiFi with no router, why shouldn't the iPhone be?
Exactly. Or isn't the iPhone capable of creating a peer-to-peer connection?

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
On another forum:

"I downloaded OS 3.0 and in the advisory doc it says any phones that have 3.0 installed on them will be locked as beta phones and you won't be able to downgrade back to 2.x. You also can't dev for 2.x with a 3.0 phone.".
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Guess I won't be downloading this one early...
Why would you want to. I mean its one thing d/l a beta OS for your computer, but quite another for a phone. Potential to brick it is high, potential stability issues and potential of not being able to upgrade it to the released OS.

Personally I'd rather wait till they finish working on it before loading it on my iphone.
~Mike

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 07:37 AM

While I agree with most of your reasoning, upgrading to 3.0 release is pretty much a must. You don't think Apple would make themselves responsible for rendering tens of thousand developer's iPhones useless would you?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 01:49 PM

iPhone 3.0 installed thanks to anonymous benefactor. Taking questions.

And no, you can't remove the built in apps. Damn.
That is a bit frustrating. Oh well. At least all their app icons look pretty.

Ah, the joys of beta OSes: Bugs bugs bugs
..... Woah. That's messed up.

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Why would you want to. I mean its one thing d/l a beta OS for your computer, but quite another for a phone. Potential to brick it is high, potential stability issues and potential of not being able to upgrade it to the released OS.

Personally I'd rather wait till they finish working on it before loading it on my iphone.
Smart, but I'm sure Apple made sure that all these phones that get the software won't brick. They'll just suffer serious bugs like e r i k.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Smart, but I'm sure Apple made sure that all these phones that get the software won't brick. They'll just suffer serious bugs like e r i k.
true but we're not talking about software from apple but from torrent sites. There's no way to know who messed up they may or may not be. There's a huge difference to getting an preview/beta/early release software from apple and grabbing it from some torrent site.

Maybe I'm being overly dramatic but personally, I can wait a few months to get the os and when I do, ti will (hopefully) be more stable and feature complete then what I find on a torrent site.
~Mike

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 02:52 PM

I would have liked tethering... but it's probably good for my pocket book that they didn't add it... I'd probably need to up my data plan

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
true but we're not talking about software from apple but from torrent sites. There's no way to know who messed up they may or may not be. There's a huge difference to getting an preview/beta/early release software from apple and grabbing it from some torrent site.

Maybe I'm being overly dramatic but personally, I can wait a few months to get the os and when I do, ti will (hopefully) be more stable and feature complete then what I find on a torrent site.
You are being overly dramatic, as there are sites where you can download the exact files the developers get. So really there is no difference in getting it from Apple or one of those sites.

But I digress, I have no problems trying out buggy software but if there is no way to go back it's just not worth it for me. Luckily there are people like erik that will be able to whet our appetites enough.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 06:13 PM

How do you bring up the copy/paste function in Safari? In other apps, it is with a double-tap, but if you do that in Safari it will just zoom in.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I would have liked tethering... but it's probably good for my pocket book that they didn't add it... I'd probably need to up my data plan
Tethering is supported from Apple. It's up to the individual carriers if they want to support it or not.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by kman42 View Post
How do you bring up the copy/paste function in Safari? In other apps, it is with a double-tap, but if you do that in Safari it will just zoom in.
Tap and hold.

It only works if a page is fully loaded too.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 06:28 PM

Did they preview the turn-by-turn? I was too lazy to watch the video and if so is their a voice saying directions?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:33 PM

I should also add that in non-zoomable application, tap and hold also works. It brings up the magnifying glass as normal, but when released it brings up a context menu asking if you want to select or select all.

It's quite intuitive in actual use.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Did they preview the turn-by-turn? I was too lazy to watch the video and if so is their a voice saying directions?
Turn by turn needs to be brought on board by Third Parties as Google Maps can't be licensed for Turn By Turn. All Apple did was lift the restrictions on such apps. I believe the screen shot they used for this was merely to illustrate a possible UI, not an actual app.

As we already know, third parties have been working on this since the SDK came out. So expect some competition in this market shortly after 3.0 goes public.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2009, 06:44 PM

Minor update in Messages: The Sending progress bar is now integrated in the top bar instead of coming up as a black overlay. Much less obtrusive.

For the record, I hate the new stripy look of the iPod, Messages and Phone icon. Yuck.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2009, 07:04 PM

Turn by turn needs to be brought on board by Third Parties as Google Maps can't be licensed for Turn By Turn. All Apple did was lift the restrictions on such apps. I believe the screen shot they used for this was merely to illustrate a possible UI, not an actual app.

As we already know, third parties have been working on this since the SDK came out. So expect some competition in this market shortly after 3.0 goes public.
I really hope Garmin makes an app.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I really hope Garmin makes an app.
If one of the major GPS companies makes an app, don't expect it to be cheap. I would expect $99 apps from them...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2009, 09:09 PM

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Exactly. Or isn't the iPhone capable of creating a peer-to-peer connection?
I find this odd as well. Why would they restrict the peer-to-peer to just bluetooth. Wouldn't a first person shooter, as an example, be way more responsive over WiFi?

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2009, 11:42 PM

If one of the major GPS companies makes an app, don't expect it to be cheap. I would expect $99 apps from them...
There's already an app called gMap (I think) that does turn-by-turn and it only costs $20. I would expect there to be lots of competition in this market and if the big guys won't come down, they will lose out quickly. gMap looks to have some issues, but if the developer can put that together without Apple's SDK support, then I imagine there will be numerous competitors jumping in the market now that they have Apple's blessing.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 12:07 AM

I would definitely pay for good quality.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 04:32 AM

I find this odd as well. Why would they restrict the peer-to-peer to just bluetooth.
Battery concerns maybe?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 05:21 AM

That was my first thought too. But wouldn't enabling an extra radio that I normally keep off be just as much of a drain? What are the battery drain comparing the two radios?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 06:45 AM

There's already an app called gMap (I think) that does turn-by-turn and it only costs $20. I would expect there to be lots of competition in this market and if the big guys won't come down, they will lose out quickly. gMap looks to have some issues, but if the developer can put that together without Apple's SDK support, then I imagine there will be numerous competitors jumping in the market now that they have Apple's blessing.
Problem is companies like TomTom and Garmin know that if their software was available on the cheap for the iPhone no one would buy their standalone units. They're going to want to protect their current business.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 06:57 AM

Some more shots for you.

This happens when you tap and hold a link:

New inline SMS indicator:

And finally, MMS needs to be enabled (along with tethering) through the carrier file.

Unfortunately, although I appear to have all the correct settings sending MMS hangs and eventually fails at the last step.

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 08:15 AM

Bluetooth also has a range limit. What if I want to play with someone who is in another room or floor?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2009, 09:14 AM

Not only that, but expect it to be a huge download. It would suck to try and have turn-by-turn with maps that are downloaded in realtime and buffered in the iPhone's memory. We were using the boyfriend's iPhone in Indy to find our way somewhere, and I discovered that it sucked compared to using my Mio C230 GPS, simply because I had to wait for Google Maps to download the map data and load it up before I could see that portion of the map (same thing when zooming in/out). A GPS is much faster, because all the map files are locally stored in the unit's flash storage.

My GPS has a gig of internal space, and that's not even enough for maps from all fifty US states (I uploaded different maps to my C230 so that I'd have more POIs). If the iPhone had a MicroSD slot, I could see how it could be legitimately used as a GPS. Now, Garmin might come out with a dock connecting expansion deal that allows using the iPhone's display to interface with its GPS software, but I think I'll stick with a normal GPS.

I find this odd as well. Why would they restrict the peer-to-peer to just bluetooth. Wouldn't a first person shooter, as an example, be way more responsive over WiFi?
Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Bluetooth also has a range limit. What if I want to play with someone who is in another room or floor?
There's actually a note-taking app (I forget what it was called, unfortunately) that already does P2P note sharing over WiFi. I would imagine that Apple is talking about officially supported P2P stuff...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 10:22 AM

That was my first thought too. But wouldn't enabling an extra radio that I normally keep off be just as much of a drain? What are the battery drain comparing the two radios?
Don't most people keep WiFi on under most circumstances? While I'm sure power users switch it on and off to save battery life, it is on by default so I think most users would never think to turn it off. I use it all day at work and home and my battery life isn't that bad. The only time I am not accessing data through WiFi is when I am in the car, etc.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 11:16 AM

Don't most people keep WiFi on under most circumstances? While I'm sure power users switch it on and off to save battery life, it is on by default so I think most users would never think to turn it off. I use it all day at work and home and my battery life isn't that bad. The only time I am not accessing data through WiFi is when I am in the car, etc.
That's what - - e r i k - - was saying. It's the bluetooth radio that he doesn't normally have on, so why does the P2P connectivity favor that? You both have a very legitimate question, and I thought it was a weird choice too.

I would imagine they could add in Wi-fi peer-to-peer communications later on and have it be transparent to existing apps.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
My GPS has a gig of internal space, and that's not even enough for maps from all fifty US states (I uploaded different maps to my C230 so that I'd have more POIs). If the iPhone had a MicroSD slot, I could see how it could be legitimately used as a GPS.
Um...shif: The iPhone has EIGHT GB or SIXTEEN in its current iteration...

I have no problem with downloading and installing 2 GB of maps onto my phone for having a decent integrated navi.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That's because it's pretty much *everything* people were asking for - except Flash.

The lack of Flash was to be expected, and everything else that would have made the iPhone a problem for me has been addressed.

...except one single thing I haven't seen: is it now possible to delete individual SMS, or can you still only remove entire conversations?
It's kind of important to be able to conserve individual messages, without having to keep a couple hundred.
Oh, just give it time. I have complete faith in the Mac community to start ranting and raving and whining about something. It's one of the things that keeps me going.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
That's what - - e r i k - - was saying. It's the bluetooth radio that he doesn't normally have on, so why does the P2P connectivity favor that? You both have a very legitimate question, and I thought it was a weird choice too.

I would imagine they could add in Wi-fi peer-to-peer communications later on and have it be transparent to existing apps.
I don't remember them ever saying that it would prefer Bluetooth for P2P connectivity. They seemed to be demoing it as a feature for instances like on the road, where no wifi is available.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2009, 11:29 PM

I don't remember them ever saying that it would prefer Bluetooth for P2P connectivity. They seemed to be demoing it as a feature for instances like on the road, where no wifi is available.
WiFi is always available for peer-to-peer.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
It's the bluetooth radio that he doesn't normally have on, so why does the P2P connectivity favor that?
WiFi is always available for peer-to-peer.
I know, but slug was asking why it preferred Bluetooth for P2P, and I don't believe it does.

zro
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 03:50 AM

What, no scroll bars in Safari? SOB!
Happy now, ctt?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2009, 04:06 AM

I know, but slug was asking why it preferred Bluetooth for P2P, and I don't believe it does.
They explicitly talked only about Bluetooth (the bit with the kids in the car playing a game together).

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Um...shif: The iPhone has EIGHT GB or SIXTEEN in its current iteration...

I have no problem with downloading and installing 2 GB of maps onto my phone for having a decent integrated navi.
I KNOW that the iPhone has plenty of storage - that's not the issue. The issue is updating maps, which are very large files compared to installing apps from the app store, downloading songs on iTunes, etc. Trying to download 2+GB of map files over 3G would be horrendous.

I suppose they could provide a way to update the map files over USB, but if it's over 3G, I'll pass and stick with my Mio, We'll just have to see what comes out in the next few months,
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 10:09 AM

There's a 10mb App Store limit over 3G. think SH meant to say -
I have no problem with downloading to my Mac and installing 2 GB of maps through iTunes onto my phone for having a decent integrated navi.
I'd be happy to plug my iPhone into my Mac and download the maps through iTunes and sync it over.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2009, 10:29 AM

I KNOW that the iPhone has plenty of storage - that's not the issue. The issue is updating maps, which are very large files compared to installing apps from the app store, downloading songs on iTunes, etc. Trying to download 2+GB of map files over 3G would be horrendous.

I suppose they could provide a way to update the map files over USB, but if it's over 3G, I'll pass and stick with my Mio, We'll just have to see what comes out in the next few months,
I'm trying to understand the scenario where you would download 2+ gigs of maps over 3g. If the application comes with all of the maps, you would have to download it over Wifi (10 meg limit over the cell networks) or download it via iTunes and sync it up. If it didn't come with the maps, the application would surely auto-download on demand. While it wouldn't be as fast, you would never have to download the entire US map over 3g in that scenario either...

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 06:50 PM

It's too bad they weren't able to address my biggest feature request (search mail for email body content) but overall this looks like a VERY nice upgrade - I'm looking forward to it.

Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
It's too bad they weren't able to address my biggest feature request (search mail for email body content) but overall this looks like a VERY nice upgrade - I'm looking forward to it.
That feature was introduced unless I'm inventing memories.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2009, 07:00 PM

I don't understand what you are talking about.

Updating of large maps would be confined to WiFi or iTunes, not over 3G, just like any other content. And "via USB", I assume you mean connected to iTunes.

-t

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2009, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
They added search functions to Mail but, as I understand it, contents of the email body are not searchable. That was my impression from watching the keynote, and seems to be supported by Engadget's brief description of Spotlight:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/i...tlight-search/

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Yup. Header search only (for now?).

Forum Links
Forum Rules