Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 12 Core MacPro (2010) – Should I upgrade to High Sierra ?

12 Core MacPro (2010) – Should I upgrade to High Sierra ?
Anto39x
Nov 3, 2017, 01:09 PM

I'm running 10.12.6 on my MacPro 12 Core (Mid 2010) with 64GB and 520GB SSD Drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDD Drives.... plus 15TB DroboS Gen 2 (Firewire).

I want to upgrade to High Sierra... all my core software has been updated to be compatible... anyone have any issues with upgrading an old MacPro 2010.

Inhave a full backup on my Drobo of my entire system (520GB Boot Drive plus QTY 3 x 3TB Internal HDD Drives).... so I feel safe enough... but always nervous about upgrading, especially as my machine gets old and older. Should I be concerned about this APFS feature...?

I upgrade my new MacPro 2017 with Touch Bar and had no issues at all.... but I have nothing important on that computer so I wasn't too worried if anything happened on there...but this is my main work machine... a very different story with this computer.

Any comments or suggestions most welcome.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 3, 2017, 01:37 PM

The only hitch I can think of is APFS. Some pro apps are having trouble with it. Do any of your core apps have support warnings about APFS? If in doubt, check their support sections, search for "APFS".

As you have an SSD, you might get automatically converted to APFS by the installer. However, you can work around this. Clone your SSD to a spare hard drive. Upgrade the hard drive (HS will use HFS+) then clone back to your SSD.

Anto39x  (op)
Nov 3, 2017, 01:42 PM

Hi Reader50....

Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion.

I already have a full Time Machine backup of my entire system... would that work also..?

Would it be easy to revert if APFS caused a problem for me...?

Please advise and revert. Thanking you in advance.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 3, 2017, 02:24 PM

Better to research it first for support warnings about APFS.

You can revert, but it's more work, and you'd lose anything done in the meantime. Turn TM off before the upgrade, so there's no chance of HS doing full fresh backups. If TM managed to run out of space, it would begin deleting your existing backups. Test all apps in HS. If you run into too many problems, reinstall Sierra, and use Migration Assistant to import your last user backup from TM. But this would all take a long time.

I suggest waiting for other people to kick in suggestions. I've only played with HS a little bit, and since I have an HD system, I haven't played with APFS at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules