Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing bad AirPort card

Replacing bad AirPort card
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2012, 04:56 PM

I have a MacBook Core Duo (first black plastic model) with a temperamental AirPort card. When waking from sleep sometimes it will just timeout when trying to connect many times in a row. I'll turn the card off then turn it on again a few times and it'll eventually connect. The range is not nearly as good as it used to be. file transfers over wifi seem to be "too much" for it and it'll crap out.

A few months ago, I had an extra USB Wifi dongle lying around and I plugged it into the Macbook without turning off the AirPort card. I find out later that having two wireless receivers that close to each can cause damage to the cards, but I can't seem to find the article where I read this. I am guessing the diminished performance results from mistakenly plugging in that USB dongle.

now, I have a mac mini that is wired in and never uses it's AirPort card. I am thinking that I can replace the Macbook's AirPort with the one from the mac mini.

My question is: Did having that USB dongle in such close proximity to the AirPort cause damage to the CARD or to the antenna that connect to the card?

I ask because I don't want to tear apart the mini and then tear apart the Macbook only to find that the antenna are the culprit and replacing the card doesn't fix any connection issues.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2012, 05:31 PM

The antenna is essentially just wire and metal, the only way to damge it is physically.

Which Mac Mini do you have? Most Airport cards from the first few years of Intel Macs are interchangeable, I swapped out the one in my Core Duo MacBook for a later N speed card and its been working beautifully for years.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2012, 07:05 PM

I have a mac mini 2,1- 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. pretty sure they have the same airport card. good to know the antenna aren't the problem. Looks like I'm about to embark on a few hours of tearing my macs apart

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2012, 08:25 PM

Yes, that one still has only a G card. You might consider picking up an N on eBay. they were cheap last I looked.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2012, 03:07 PM

replacement went well and the mini's airport card is working perfectly in the macbook. took a little over an hour. I had one moment where my heart skipped a beat and the macbook didn't start when I hit the power button. One more press and it worked and has restarted a few times since. huzzah

Forum Links
Forum Rules