Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need help doing up a propsal for Video Editing Solution

Need help doing up a propsal for Video Editing Solution
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 05:26 PM

I am doing a website for a local band and they now want to film there preformances and make a video out of them. For now they are using a consumer DV cam, and want to make a vidoe that will appear on Much Music.

The manager wanted to know if I could do it. I said no on my Beige G3 even with the 550mhz CPU upgrade I couldn. I don't have the horse power nor the HD space (internally) and firewire isn't reliable enough.

So I suggest buy me a video editing system and I can edit the video for you. I might come and even do some of the video taping myself if they don't higher a professional videographer.

He suggested a used G4 from the buy & sell, but I don't feel confortable with used equiptment. Since the G4 Dual 1.25GHZ with Super Drive is $2,549 Canadian I though that would be the best solution.

The G5 doesn't seem right due to only being able to have one scratch disk.

So what do I need to put in the proposal and should I go Dual 17 LCD or 20 Cinema display (both the same price) remember I MUST SIT 4 inches from the screen due to my vision. I dought my Sony 17 200SF from 1996 will cut it for video ediitng.

Don't mention places to buy (unless in Canada) for hardware, just brand.

both configs I looked at will have a 80GB boot/Apps drive and then I will get 2 more internal HD's (MDD) so which brand is the best for video and should I go 160GB or 250GB? This rig would just be used for there video work, and for my learning. I also will add at leastr 2 512MB RAM dimms to both setups.

Should I go FCE or FCP? If they got a 3CCD Mini DV cam that could shoot 24fps film coulf FCE do that? or does FCE only do DV 29.9fps importing? They do want it to look like film. Any other software I need?

I do know they will need a 3CCD DV cam and it sounds like they need to do it like film and not TV quality. Suggest away.

Thanks.
( Last edited by Mac Write; Jun 27, 2003 at 05:34 PM. )
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 08:35 PM

The G5 doesn't seem right due to only being able to have one scratch disk.

Scratch disk or not (that is all bull anyway, you don't NEED 2 scratch disks, epsecially cause one 250 is bigger than the 2 120 gig I have in my G4, which is more than enough for a 2 hour project HINT: Don't capture all the footage you take, thats why we have batch capture), there is no way in hell that a the G4 Dual 1.25GHZ is going to be better than a G5 for video editing. I/O speeds alone would make even a single 1.8 Gigaherz VASTLY superior to the G4s, or even the single 1.6.

Don't fall prey the gloom and doom in that other thread. There is no reason why you would need over 250 of internal capture space, if you're outside the budget realm of getting a raid solution.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2003, 12:37 AM

According to this chart, only FCP does 24fps editing.

And DeathMan's right, G5 is the way to go. I doubt that Apple would create a Mac that would be a detriment for people using its flagship software.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2003, 03:42 AM

If this deal even goes through, I will get a G5 1.6GHZ which should be faster then a DP 1.25GHZ with 256MB RAM, and 250GB HD from Apple then get another 1GB third party FCP, and Photoshop upgrade (for my PS 4 licence). Then use my Sony 17 200SF.

I will get a second SATA drive for boot and OS (who makes them?) and should be in good shape.

I then will ask them to get the Canon GL2 for doing all the filming.

How much does the RAM go for? I would want 2x512MB Cricual or Kingston RAM.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 28, 2003, 10:55 AM

"How much does the RAM go for? I would want 2x512MB Cricual or Kingston RAM."

add a .com to the end of those two makers and BAM! Instant pricing!
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Kleekoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2003, 05:48 PM

I'm from Vancouver, and have done many video editing jobs for local bands.. just interested in what band this is for?

Forum Links
Forum Rules