Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Darwine

Darwine
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2020, 10:56 PM

... remember that? Back in the PowerPC days, the project that tried to get WINE working with user-level x86 emulation to run Windows apps on a Mac, which saw its interest suddenly dive to zero on Apple's announcement of the Intel transition?

Well apparently, now that Apple's moving back off of Intel again, CodeWeavers has already gotten it to work.

From the wording in the blog post, it looks like they didn't even have to do much. Apparently Rosetta 2 works well enough that just running CrossOver 20 in it was enough to make it work, WINE libraries and all.

I'm a bit gob-smacked.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 19, 2020, 01:27 AM

I foresee a problem: Rosetta 2 may not be around any longer than Rosetta 1. Apple introduced it in 10.4 and ditched it after 10.6.

That annoyed me greatly, along with how fast they dropped PPC support from the OS. Not much loyalty to existing owners.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2020, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I foresee a problem: Rosetta 2 may not be around any longer than Rosetta 1. Apple introduced it in 10.4 and ditched it after 10.6.

That annoyed me greatly, along with how fast they dropped PPC support from the OS. Not much loyalty to existing owners.
And that was when Apple had considerably more loyalty and interest in their existing long term customers than they do today. I've already put the brakes on a couple of clients wanting to buy new iMacs this week.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2020, 02:49 PM

They're saying that the entire transition will take two years, so it's going to have to be at least that long. :shrug:

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mindwaves
Nov 19, 2020, 04:59 PM

Wow, the name Codeweavers sure does bring back memories. I used to use their programs years ago to start coding.

Would benefit Apple if can still run Windows on Mac.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2020, 06:28 AM

Apparently Crossover will run Team Fortress 2 on AS Macs.
I wonder if it will run Sage Accounts....
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules