Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macbook Pro DVD Drive problem?

New Macbook Pro DVD Drive problem?
Fishticky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 07:48 PM

Hey,

So I just received one of the new 15 inch macbook pros yesterday, and everything works great! ....Except that the DVD drive will not play burned dual layer disks. I have my old macbook pro sitting right next to me (I did sell it to buy the new one, but I don't have to ship it for another day or two), and it is playing these dvds perfectly fine. I know it's probably difficult to judge since it came out so early, but is anyone else having this problem? Or, have older macbook drives had the same problem?

(In case your wondering, if I put in a burned dual layer dvd, it sits there and makes a repetitive noise for about ten seconds, then spits the dvd out. Single layer burned dvds work fine though)

I haven't had the chance to try a dual layer burned dvd by another brand (the one i'm using is 'matrix' right now), but if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

EDIT: I just tried putting in a dual layer movie that I had laying around (not a burned dvd), and it works fine. Does this mean that the problem then is likely with my no-name blank dvd brand? If so, there's still the question as to why my older macbook pro can read it when this one can't.
( Last edited by Fishticky; Oct 28, 2008 at 08:25 PM. )

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 10:00 PM

The drive in the new MBP is a different beast than the one in the old MBP.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the drive isn't liking the generic media you used for the DVD.

Fishticky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 12:27 AM

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. I think I remember something happening with the macs that came out last year where an update prevented the superdrives from reading burned dvds. If I recall correctly, a solution was even posted on these forums. Does anyone have a link to the thread, or knows whether the solution would even apply to this drive?

-Thanks

paddy1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fishticky View Post
Hey,

So I just received one of the new 15 inch macbook pros yesterday, and everything works great! ....Except that the DVD drive will not play burned dual layer disks. I have my old macbook pro sitting right next to me (I did sell it to buy the new one, but I don't have to ship it for another day or two), and it is playing these dvds perfectly fine. I know it's probably difficult to judge since it came out so early, but is anyone else having this problem? Or, have older macbook drives had the same problem?

(In case your wondering, if I put in a burned dual layer dvd, it sits there and makes a repetitive noise for about ten seconds, then spits the dvd out. Single layer burned dvds work fine though)

I haven't had the chance to try a dual layer burned dvd by another brand (the one i'm using is 'matrix' right now), but if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

EDIT: I just tried putting in a dual layer movie that I had laying around (not a burned dvd), and it works fine. Does this mean that the problem then is likely with my no-name blank dvd brand? If so, there's still the question as to why my older macbook pro can read it when this one can't.
Hi mate,

I have exactly the same problem... did you ever get an answer to this????

Please I hope!!!!!!!

paddy1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2009, 12:05 PM

Hey mate, I have exactly the same problem, can anyone help?

nem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 06:20 AM

Fishticky,
Have you found the solution posted to these forums? Did you manage to fix it?
I'm having the same problem with my dvd drive

please help!

Macdesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2009, 02:58 AM

I just bought a new Macbook Pro. As I was installing software the MS Office DVD would do something similar (fail to mount and eject). Other discs worked fine, and the MS Office dvd worked in my 6 year old Powerbook. I took it in and they said the drive was failing or is not getting enough power. They swapped machines and I haven't had any problems yet. If it's still under warranty, I would bring it to an Apple store. Not sure if this is what happened, but thought I'd share.

Forum Links
Forum Rules