Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SMB shares dropping off.

SMB shares dropping off.
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2010, 12:43 PM

I have a little problem with SMB shares dropping off and I have not seen much info on this here through searching. One day they are there, then they will dissapear for a few weeks. Sometimes they will come back and sometimes not. I can still connect manually via CMD-K. It is a MacBook and I connect via Airport and Ethernet. The problem does not seem to favour either one more than the other. I have been looking to see if 10.6.3 update might fix the problem. The only things I have seen are these updates to SMB below. Those don't seem like items that would fix the problem but maybe the issue with one of the following is also causing my issue serendipitously. What do you think?

SMB
- Resolves an issue with saving files via SMB.
- Resolves a filename case issue.
- Resolves clear text password issue.
- Resolves a hang when deleting SMB folders.

Phill

vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2010, 02:02 AM

Would your SMB shares happen to be hosted on a Linux box? I have had this issue for years with three of my Linux servers, and I have no idea what the problem is. It just comes and goes, with no particular pattern...
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2010, 10:14 PM

Mine are actually on a Windows Home Server. Previously I had a Lacie network disk too and it happened with that one too.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2010, 11:13 PM

Are you seeing any messages in your logs about timeouts or failures to reconnect? What do your logs say?

Forum Links
Forum Rules