Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Picked up a new iMac! (27" Core i3)

Picked up a new iMac! (27" Core i3)
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 06:01 PM

I'm pretty sure I was the second person in Ireland ... anyway.

No matter how big 27" looks in store, it looks bigger at home. At retail it is concerningly expensive, but as a student I got 12% off, a free printer and an iPod Touch for £19, both of which I'll sell on to ease the overall price. Having moved from a late 2008 unibody MacBook (with a 22" DELL S2209W attached) everything seems very responsive in comparison. The only potential fault that I have is that my hard drive is making an awful lot of noise - it could be clicking, but I don't notice any speed loss when it happens. Could any applications confirm if there is a problem? (i.e. Apple's diagnostic tools)

Other than this, very impressed with the machine. For a quick test of CPU and GPU power I fired up Half-Life 2 at native resolution - 2560x1440 - stuck all the graphics on high, enabled vertical sync, motion blur and color correction, and turned on AA at 2x and AF at 4x. Not a glitch or sense of jerkiness in the game.

I like this machine a lot

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2010, 06:03 PM

Welcome to the 27-inch club.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kylef  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Welcome to the 27-inch club.
My 13" MacBook feels like an 8" netbook. I don't know whether that's good or bad ...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2010, 11:59 PM

I recently bought a seagate hard drive for my PMG5 and it clicks loudly when it turns on or off, maybe just on. I assume it's normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules