Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPort Kernel Panics

AirPort Kernel Panics
iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2010, 04:11 PM

I have a 12 inch 1ghz PowerBook G4 (ancient, I know) that has been having problems for about three weeks. Here is what happens:

1. I lift the screen to wake the computer from sleep, the computer is dead no video no sounds

2. I press the power button till the computer shuts down then I restart, the computer chimes then kernel panics, verbose mode shows Airport triggering the kernel panic.

3. Turn the computer off, remove AirPort Extreme card, restart computer and it boots just fine.

4. Shutdown, re-insert the AirPort Card, restart computer, everything boots up fine, airport works at login.

5. sleep and wake the computer about 5 times and back to dead.

The computer never kernel panics during operation, just when wakeing from sleep. The fact that I can re-install the airport card and it works fine makes me think it’s a software problem, not hardware.

What I have tried so far that doesn’t help:

Repair Permissions
Verify Disk

What I have not tried so far:

Archive and install
reset pram
Delete kernel extensions

Any suggestions?

ibook_steve
Aug 17, 2010, 05:18 PM

Not sure why you think this is software. The machine is having problems waking the Airport card hardware when coming out of sleep, causing the panic. It's only happening sometimes, but if it's consistently when you wake the machine and not during normal operation, it indicates that there's probably some power issue with the Airport card.

Sorry to say, this sounds like hardware to me. You could try an OS reinstall, but I'm betting on hardware.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 09:03 PM

What steve said.

iMOTOR  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2010, 09:27 PM

It seems like a software issue to me because I can take the card out, boot the computer, put it back in and everything goes back to normal, at least for a few more sleep/wake cycles. If it was hardware, it seems to me like it would never boot with the card installed.

I’ll get a new Airport card for it and report back to ya, thanks the help.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2010, 11:12 PM

I have this exact issue with a 15" 1.33 GHz PowerBook. It's fine, until I hit the airport menu. I've reinstalled OSes, tried different cards, no dice.

iMOTOR  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2010, 12:37 AM

I can actually hit the airport menu all day without trouble, its when I wake it from sleep that it goes dead. But reading the Apple forums, everyone else is describing what you have; hit the airport menu then kernel panic.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 18, 2010, 06:49 AM

While behavior when waking from sleep may seem like software, it's built into the card, which makes it hardware. The real way to tell is to put another card in and see what happens.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2010, 04:55 PM

Alternatively, permanently remove the card and see if the machine is stable.

iMOTOR  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2010, 03:36 PM

Update:

I swapped AirPort cards with another iMac and so far the iMac has had no trouble after waking several dozen times.

The PowerBook on the other hand, now will wake and login, but AirPort will be off and turning it on will trigger a kernel panic.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 25, 2010, 07:27 PM

The card is obviously the problem. Get a new one and all will be well. Disregard; I read it wrong.
( Last edited by ghporter; Aug 26, 2010 at 06:33 AM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2010, 07:57 PM

What? If it switched in a different card and turning AirPort on causes a kernel panic, obviously it's not the card's problem.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2010, 06:31 AM

My bad. I got it backward. It is obviously NOT the card, as the problems stayed with the computer and didn't move with the AirPort card.

iMOTOR  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2010, 04:33 PM

But now it’s really confusing; I never had kernel panics during runtime with the original AirPort card.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 26, 2010, 04:34 PM

To me it seems like there's a bad solder joint somewhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules