Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problems uploading changed files to website

Problems uploading changed files to website
jretzner
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2011, 12:47 AM

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; OS 10.6.7

Last week I updated Panic's Transmit from version 4.1.1 to 4.1.7. Transmit says my updated file has been uploaded to my server (Earthlink). However, the updated file does not show up on my webrowser. Support at Panic suggests that the cache in my webroswer (FireFox 6.0) is probably full and needs to be emptied. I think I've tried that two or three times to no avail. I've gone to Tools/Web Developer/Miscellaneous/Clear Private Date. Is that how one empties the cache for FireFox? If not, please enlighten me.

Thanks

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2011, 12:52 AM

What is the upload path, is it the same as it was before? Is there a timestamp on the file on the server you believe to have replaced?

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2011, 11:54 PM

The upload path is the same as before. No, there is not a time stamp e.g. time of day. The calendar date of the changed file changed on the server however. I believe that exhibits the uploading of the file.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 04:19 AM

If your browsers are being reloaded/cleared of cache and the page isn't coming up, either your path is wrong or your changed file isn't getting uploaded properly. I usually suspect path issues with problems like that. Can you try a different FTP client?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Aug 30, 2011, 01:53 PM

I'm not sure if this has anything at all to do with your issue, but I thought I read a story last week about FTP access to web servers at some provider had been turned off and now cost a monthly fee.

But then again, you probably wouldn't even be able to connect through FTP at all if that was the case.

Just some food for thought. A different client or trying to connect to a different server would be good to try. Heck, you could even just try it though Terminal.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jretzner  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2011, 12:49 AM

After chatting several exchanges with my server (Earthlink), the update for Transmit is now uploading changes for me. It has to do with altering for the host name and the user name.

Thanks for your insights and encouragement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules