Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Building A Dream Recording Studio

Building A Dream Recording Studio (Page 8)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Spray them with Kilz, then a clear acrylic. No mold can survive that.
Won't that seal up the acoustic absorption properties?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 4, 2014, 08:19 AM

Rotten deal. At least it`s a good excuse to upgrade the sump pump I guess!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2014, 05:17 PM

It's actually the worst of all worlds. Yes it's a reason, but the building is now set for demolition in a few months.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2014, 09:50 PM

So now you have the opportunity to re-build your dream recording studio with built-in living quarters in the back!
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2014, 05:23 PM

Well, of course. The rats need a place to sleep.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2014, 08:01 PM

Anyone want to share their "best practice" for carrying a mess of short XLR cables to and from gigs?

Past 5' they get a riptie, and then it's not a problem. They can just go in a stack.

As an aside, what kind of cable loadouts y'all work with. For mic cables, I've found 25-footers are ideal length. It gets most of the way across most stages. Pretty much stopped with all other lengths.

The shorties have come up because we've started using DMX, and I often have to plug into something only six inches away.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 14, 2014, 07:59 PM

A fairly quick and easy way is based on a hanger stacker. It's basically a flat platform (picture a 1x4) with a pair of dowels at either end. Make something like that with pairs of dowels at the appropriate distances between the strain relief boots of your short cables. You could make one that handles multiple lengths too, just by adjusting how close together the pairs of dowels are.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2014, 09:25 AM

I like that idea!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 12:20 AM

You know, I've been cagey about making it too easy to identify me, but I've decided that's stupid in this day and age.

Come follow our band: Candy Town

Facebook: Candy Town

On Twitter we're @RavenswoodOcean. You have to type the whole thing. Our SEO blows. Searching for "candy town" gets you an old, defunct account we can't get rid of.

Of course, that means you'll actually know where to look when the album's done. I'm arguing for us to have it available for free. I don't buy into demanding money for something you can reproduce an arbitrary number of times for close to zero effort.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2014, 12:51 PM

Things have been slow on the recording front as we've been prepping for our next live show.

It's basically a dream situation. We're calling the shots, not sharing the stage with anyone else, and I get a whole day before the show to do lighting and sound... in addition to having the day of the show itself.

Such a nice change from the last show, and only helps the promoter, because if you give us time, we'll get ambitious in using it.

andi*pandi
Jul 23, 2014, 10:05 PM

There was a curious lack of sound on that Facebook page (at least the videos I perused). Now, I understand that some of that may be due to the vintage period the band time travels from... but yet, some sound from a modern venue would be interesting.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 01:27 PM

You know, I always wondered what took bands so long to record, and foolishly imagined working on the band full-time and owning the equipment would speed the process up.

So I should eat some crow for all the times someone in a band told me how long they've been recording an album, and I said to myself "WTF is wrong with you people?"

What blocked it though was some fun stuff. We mainly stopped recording so I could work on the cyborg mask. Once that was done, prepping for this next show became the priority. Partially because it's an opportunity to let us pull out all the stops, we have setup time and room we almost never have, but equally important, who the show is for...

It's in this cute, old suburb where a hipster, graphic designer unseated the grumpy, curmudgeon mayor, and is trying to class up the place with things like the art show we're playing this weekend.

When we came out to scout, he took us out to lunch. Never been dined by a mayor before.

What happend afterwards was the shocker though. We were complimenting how pretty the town was, and he offered to show us around. The director and I casually mentioned to each other how we'd like to shoot around here, and the mayor said "oh... I've got some great places for you!"

He shows us around some more, and when we ask about the red tape, he smiles and says "I'm the mayor, you're lookin at the red tape".

We've basically had the keys to the city drop in our lap. If we don't start prepping for this now, and start shooting in August, we'll run out of good weather. The film business started here in Chicago. There's a reason it only lasted a few years before picking up shop and moving to LA.

We have to take advantage of this, which means maybe we can get in one more week of recording before they dyno-mite the building the studio is in.

As it stands, we have three vocalists to track, along with a few guitar and clarinet bits. It's not going to happen. We'll get one at best, and then it's time to find a temp space, while breaking down the entire studio and putting it in storage.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 02:00 PM

You know, I forgot. We were originally planning to do a Kickstarter, and record the album the "normal way".

Likewise, what was needed at that time was for me to get a handle on shooting video with the 5D.

Well, things got... complicated after that. By the time recording an album came up, and potentially doing another video, I didn't need any more schooling on the 5D, so I decided to school myself as a recordist.

That means we have this old video, which is probably some of the best stuff we've done, but never made it out because we're not asking for money, and only one person in the video is still in the band (which is why we would have needed to make a new video).

So, let me give y'all a backstage pass...

Promotional video for fundraiser - YouTube

It's a touch over three minutes.
( Last edited by subego; Jul 24, 2014 at 02:12 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 24, 2014, 02:11 PM

Have you informed the demolition crew of the historic recording studio within?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2014, 02:18 PM

We've decided to sell out. Director is going to live off the proceeds of the demolition until he can support himself with the band.

He's literally betting the house on this.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2014, 03:42 PM

I keep on thinking I've done this enough I know what curveballs to expect, but the ante keeps getting raised.

We're doing a show in the park next week. Part of a weekly arts series.

This week, was the last week they could get us power.

No problem... I'm sure I've got a ****ing diesel generator just lying around somewhere.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2014, 03:20 PM

How many amps/circuits do you need? Those whisper quiet Yamaha and Honda generators are nice. The larger ones are only two 20 amp circuits though. but, they run on normal gas and not much above 60 decibels at load.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2014, 01:13 PM

You are spot on!

I'm renting a 20A Honda. The 60 dB claim on the website is kinda unbelievable, but I'm out of date on these things. I was expecting to have to rent a truck to get it there.

The location is relatively amenable to this too. This is in a park right in the Loop in Chicago. I'm very concerned about finding a place where random people won't **** with it. I think I've found good potential spots, but it's still going to be a bit of a nail biter. Same with the weather. We have no rain option. Forecast says we're okay so far.

This whole show has been a ridiculous uphill battle. We have to fly in our old drummer and rent him a kit. That's what's really obnoxious about this power issue. We have no leverage. A show in the Loop at noon on a Friday isn't an opportunity we can pass up.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 6, 2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
You are spot on!

I'm renting a 20A Honda. The 60 dB claim on the website is kinda unbelievable, but I'm out of date on these things. I was expecting to have to rent a truck to get it there.
I walked past one at the local farmer's market and could barely even tell that it was running.

andi*pandi
Aug 6, 2014, 03:50 PM

surely there's some kid who'd love to tag along, sit by the generator, look menacing, and get to say, "I'm with the band"?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2014, 04:43 PM

We're actually considering that.

andi*pandi
Aug 6, 2014, 04:57 PM

If you were in boston I'd loan you one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2014, 04:59 PM

Careful, I'll take you up on it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2014, 08:24 PM

Turns out, after going through all the hassle of renting the generator, placing it, and firing it up, we get a call informing us the power was turned back on.

unicast reversepath
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2014, 11:26 PM

This is a cool thread - glad to see it is still alive and kicking!
If you have Ghosts, you have Everything!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2014, 11:16 AM

T-minus three weeks before we have to be entirely out of the studio.

Seeing how many vocals we can lay down before that is our primary mission right now, along with training the new drummer.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 10, 2014, 08:14 AM

Haven't forgotten that I've promised pics. I have (2) JBL EON 615s on back-order (ship 1st of September hopefully?) along with (2) JBL 518 S subs and still in the process of engineering the studio makeover. It's essentially a multi-media room that my wife and I enjoy a great deal for movie-watching etc so the studio has to be not only portable, but permanent-looking when not being readied for haul to a gig. Notwithstanding that the space is basically a large "L-shape" that is somewhat difficult to work around.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2014, 01:40 PM

I'm still looking forward to them!

As a side note, I've regretted not taking and posting pictures of things being half-done. Once it's fully done I've often thought to myself "I wish I had record of what a shitshow this was before I finished".

reader50
Administrator
Aug 10, 2014, 01:56 PM

Turns out, after going through all the hassle of renting the generator, placing it, and firing it up, we get a call informing us the power was turned back on.
Did you go for one of the quiet inverter generators, as people suggested? If so, any impressions? I've considered buying a backup gen myself. The inverters tend to cost twice as much, with half the capacity and no 240v. Are their advantages worth 4x the price for the same capacity?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2014, 02:14 PM

The one I rented, a Honda eu2000, was relatively quiet at full load. It has a switch to make the speed it runs load reactive. That made it significantly quieter with a low load.

The big advantage to me was being an inverter, not having to worry about grounding it. Not much of a feature in a permanent installation.

I think you can gang them to get 240V.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2014, 07:19 AM

Here's a photo (not by me) which captures why they had us on the ropes. This was too good a spot to pass up...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2014, 07:28 AM

And one of our basic marketing premises seemed to work properly.

Namely the idea you're walking down the street and see this, you at least stop for a second to size it up.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2014, 10:13 AM

Here's a photo (not by me) which captures why they had us on the ropes. This was too good a spot to pass up...

I need to upgrade my prescription specs, but that's not you all in the picture or is everyone around there into white-face and orchestral?
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2014, 12:54 PM

That's all us!

Drums and guitar are the only non-orchestral players.

And, yes... all in whiteface.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2014, 04:51 PM

The plan is to start recording again tomorrow. We've got about 10 potential days left before things get broken down.

We have a guest though... the friggin Blue Angels. From now until the air show ends on Sunday.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 09:02 AM

Singing mimes?!? Now that's an oxymoron
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 01:47 PM

We're all about breaking the paradigm.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2014, 11:14 PM

I forgot how low-key recording was.

In fact, and perhaps I shouldn't admit this, it's so low-key I abandoned the studio to chill in the backyard.

In theory, I should be keeping an eye on the levels for 20+ takes in a row, but that's not actually accomplishing anything.

I told the producer to holler if something interesting happens.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 12:55 AM

Back out in the yard.

On one hand I feel like I'm abandoning my post, but the producer assures me he's happy, and he's less self-conscious without me there (it's his vocals we're recording).

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2014, 11:15 AM

Back out in the yard.

On one hand I feel like I'm abandoning my post, but the producer assures me he's happy, and he's less self-conscious without me there (it's his vocals we're recording).

We had a female vocalist that insisted I not be in the studio while she recorded her vocals for this very reason. I was nothing if not wholly supportive of her skills, regardless of any uncontrollable ticks or facial expressions.
ebuddy

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 02:26 PM

The thought process for the producer is he's not the greatest singer (willingness to admit his own faults is one of the things which makes him nice to work with), so he uses vocal cord destroying techniques to make himself sound better in a recording

Where he gets uncomfortable is people who can sing well hear it and start giving him WTF? looks over how he's killing his voice by doing it that way.

Of course, I can't sing myself, so I'm not noticing beyond his voice being trashed by the end of the day.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 06:23 PM

Back in the yard.

It appears there's some yard work to be done.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 16, 2014, 09:34 PM

Tell people you're helping fight global warming. Calculate the carbon removed to prove it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2014, 10:14 PM

I'm also keeping the rats safe from falcons.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 01:57 AM

falcons gotta eat too, you know.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 03:44 PM

Good point.

Harriet, get the machete.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 03:57 PM

We may actually get a few extra months. It's going to be too close to winter to demo the building, so they've offered to rent the place to us.

In theory, then we can finish the tracking and have enough time left over to do the mixing.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 17, 2014, 04:00 PM

We're in mid-summer, and it's too close to winter? This is good news for the studio of course. But it sounds strange.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2014, 04:14 PM

Basically, if they can't finish the demo and put in a new building before winter sets in, the property becomes dead weight all winter.

They get it the first of September. That's not really enough time to complete the job. My layman's guess is it's about half the time they need.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 17, 2014, 04:19 PM

The "put up new building" part was what I was missing. Also, guess I'm used to CA. Construction speeds up in winter here, when temps are more comfortable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules