Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wired keyboard "crashes' with iPhone connected

Apple Wired keyboard "crashes' with iPhone connected
FireWire
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2015, 01:10 PM

Hi! I'm using an Apple Wired Keyboard on my 2013 MBP. The keyboard came with my previous iMac. It is connected directly to my Mac, and there's a Logitech mouse connected in one of its USB port. When I plug my iPhone 6 into the other port, the iPhone will act as it has been disconnected and reconnected (screen comes on and it makes a sound) and while this happens, my mouse and keyboard will stop working for a few seconds, as if the keyboard was rebooting. My cursor will stop moving and the letters typed won't register. It does this every few seconds so it's really annoying. Any idea? There has never been any damage to the keyboard and nothing spilled on it. It doesn't matter what combinaison of ports I use.

Thank you!

P
Nov 29, 2015, 11:42 AM

Probably the keyboard doesn't supply enough power to actually charge the phone, and since the phone won't trust a computer as its host until you press that button the display, it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. What happens if you press the button on the phone to allow the computer to access it?

ibook_steve
Dec 1, 2015, 06:24 PM

I really wish OS X was better about displaying messages about USB problems due to insufficient power. I thought it used to say something about this. But P's answer is correct. There's no way the keyboard can supply enough power to charge the phone, which is what the iPhone is expecting, so the USB bus is continuously getting reset. Either connect the phone directly to the computer or to a powered USB hub.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

FireWire  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2015, 10:39 PM

That's a bummer! Do newer Apple wired keyboards fix the problem?

ibook_steve
Dec 18, 2015, 06:25 PM

Doubtful. Keyboard USB hubs are not designed to supply power to devices for charging. That's what dedicated USB hubs are for that include a separate power supply brick.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules