Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How happy were you with MacWorld?

View Poll Results: How happy were you with MacWorld?
Poll Options:
0 (not happy at all) 1 votes (1.92%)
1 2 votes (3.85%)
2 5 votes (9.62%)
3 13 votes (25.00%)
4 2 votes (3.85%)
5 12 votes (23.08%)
6 2 votes (3.85%)
7 7 votes (13.46%)
8 4 votes (7.69%)
9 1 votes (1.92%)
10 (couldn't be happier) 3 votes (5.77%)
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
How happy were you with MacWorld? (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It was pretty lame.

I wonder if Steve refused to do the keynote because we wouldn't wanna go down holding his worst keynote evar.
Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Confirmed to David Pogue by Phil Schiller: Apple lineup at MacWorld wasn't worth Steve's time...
Ha, I knew it

-t

hayesk
Jan 7, 2009, 07:23 PM

I was neither happy nor disappointed.

Anyone who expected new iMacs, MacBook Pros, MacMinis, and a new tablet is fooling themselves. Not only is it foolish to buy into hype from rumor sites, it's really not believable that Apple would schedule updates to be ready on one day, and not have any slippage.

Apple doesn't want to update everything at a Keynote. It's an inflexible date that causes big problems in Apple trying to organize product development around. I can see why they don't want to attend anymore. It isn't just about saving money.

Cold Warrior
Jan 7, 2009, 07:26 PM

We all know Steve loves to be on stage showing great stuff getting the glory. I buy Pogue's story about it not being worth his time. When Steve has something insanely great to show us, he'll be back on stage.

Sealobo
Jan 7, 2009, 07:30 PM

i gave it a 3... would have been 1 without Tony Bennett~!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
We all know Steve loves to be on stage showing great stuff getting the glory. I buy Pogue's story about it not being worth his time. When Steve has something insanely great to show us, he'll be back on stage.
Of course.

I'm convinced that if he had seen the potential to make this the greatest MacWorld keynote ever, he would have been on stage, dead or alive.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2009, 08:04 PM

he would have been on stage, dead or alive.

-t
I'm picturing a weekend at Bernie's type situation after reading this post.

Who knows, maybe we've been sold things by the corpse of Jobs for over a year now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 08:38 PM

You consider 4 months "recent" ?

-t
Recent enough to reward loyal customers with a free digital download, yeah. It would be a generous policy, but I think it would be the right policy if Apple were a bit more generous with its customer base. Apple certainly afford it right now. Of course, if Apple were generous, it would restore the full 1 year complementary tech support period.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2009, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Of course, if Apple were generous, it would restore the full 1 year complementary tech support period.
Huh? That still existed when I went to the Apple Store last month…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2009, 10:57 PM

I expected to see a new Mini -- sniff. What the heck are they waiting for? I mean, take it off the market for the sake of modern computing, or do something to it.

Anyways, the unibody 17-inch MacBook Pro is a nice addition to the line. And, altough there is no iTunes Store available in my country, the DRM-free music is something that everyone has been waiting for. Both the 09's were kind of expected, so nothing amazing there.

I gave it a 6.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 01:03 AM

After watching Phil's keynote (instead of just reading about the new stuff), I have to say that I'd bump my vote up from a 2 to a 4.

Quick note: when Phil talks about the matte and glossy display options, he finishes it off with, "...but I'm going to talk about the glossy version, 'cause that's myfe favorite," it sounded just a bit like, "This is what we told you to prefer. Why are you 'high-end professionals' not liking what we told you to like?"

Or maybe that was just me. Listen to him though. And then watch that stupid smirk.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 01:05 AM

Also, is it appropriate to applaud the fact that one political party has defeated another in a widely-covered business setting? Phil couldn't help but make a few comments with the little Bush - > Obama Keynote transition demo.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2009, 04:06 AM

I'm neutral. To be honest, I haven't been excited about an Apple announcements for a while. Last thing I was excited about was Final Cut Studio 2. But that is just me. I don't complain because I know other peoples' needs/wants are different from mine. I just hope to see Pro stuff later this year.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by MallyMal View Post
I'm neutral. To be honest, I haven't been excited about an Apple announcements for a while. Last thing I was excited about was Final Cut Studio 2. But that is just me. I don't complain because I know other peoples' needs/wants are different from mine. I just hope to see Pro stuff later this year.
Mostly likely to be revealed at Apple special events throughout the year, which is fine by me. I hate looking forward to that one big show that contains all the magic. Spread the love out a bit.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 08:03 PM

In years past, Apple might have delayed the release of the unibody laptops so as to have great publicity and product release excitement at MacWorld San Fran. Or they would announce a product way too early at MWSF, and have prototypes on the show floor. Batteries might even fall out of laptops?? Specs that were announced at MWSF would all of a sudden not be the released model specs (happily, in that instance, the specs were better and all the pundits were oh so happy.) Point is, they were showing beta products at MWSF just to have something to announce.

This year, Apple announced the unibody laptops in time for the peak holiday buying season, and that really paid off. The result was a somewhat lackluster Keynote.

Overall, a much saner and more business-like product announcement model.

Forum Links
Forum Rules