Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Tinted/Darkening Screen Covers?

Tinted/Darkening Screen Covers?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 05:49 AM

Anyone know of any darkening iPhone screen covers? I'm trying to set up my old original iPhone as an alarm clock. Problem is that even with the screen brightness turned all the way down, theres still too much light bleed and its just too bright to sleep with it right next to your face. But otherwise, it makes a pretty great alarm clock. If I could darken the screen while still keeping it useable, that just might make it perfect. It's a first gen iPhone but any screen cover will work. It no longer has service so I don't care if the ear speaker gets covered.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 05:50 AM

Note: You may be thinking "it looks like your problem is that you clearly didn't turn the brightness down all the way". I turned the brightness up so I could take that picture, then I turned it back down.

P
Apr 16, 2012, 07:04 AM

There are some apps that give you alarmclocks and let you control the brightness from inside the app. Two that I have (but don't use regularly) are Nightstand and Relax Melodies.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 07:18 AM

I think you missed the point. The brightness is at the phone's minimum level. Even with it all the way down, too much light comes off the screen.

Thorzdad
Apr 16, 2012, 08:25 AM

Get some car or home window tint material and apply a small piece to the iPhone.

P
Apr 16, 2012, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I think you missed the point. The brightness is at the phone's minimum level. Even with it all the way down, too much light comes off the screen.
I get that, but what I'm saying is that those apps can control the brightness in a different manner from that of the system. Either of those I can get the clock to a brightness so low that I have to shade it with my hands to even be able to detect that there is anything there. They're both free, so it doesn't cost anything to try.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Get some car or home window tint material and apply a small piece to the iPhone.
You know I thought of that, but will the screen still be touch-sensative?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I get that, but what I'm saying is that those apps can control the brightness in a different manner from that of the system. Either of those I can get the clock to a brightness so low that I have to shade it with my hands to even be able to detect that there is anything there. They're both free, so it doesn't cost anything to try.
Ok, so yeah the app i'm using does let you "dim" the screen, meaning it turns the digits blacker and blacker. But that doesn't effect the amount of light coming off the screen. Even with the screen displaying a solid black image, it still leaks out a lot of light.

Thorzdad
Apr 16, 2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
You know I thought of that, but will the screen still be touch-sensative?
The clear vinyl protective sheet that is on the screen of my wife's iPhone (came with the case she uses) doesn't impede the touch sensitivity. The tiny material is thinner than that, so I can't imagine it would get in the way, unless there was some metallic materials in the film.

Forum Links
Forum Rules