Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > El Capitan

El Capitan (Page 2)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
My wife takes Adderall for her ADHD, that s*** is wild.
Ah yes, amphetamine salts.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2015, 06:17 PM

It's like pharmaceutical grade cocaine.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
CRAP...

...I missed that. Forget it then. Apple is doomed.
Finally, all the horsepower in the Air 2 is good for something besides slightly less Safari tab refreshes! I carry around with two fingers enough horsepower to get to Mars, but damned if it can't open more than 3 tabs without a refresh.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2015, 11:56 AM

To have two apps 'active' you need a mobile device with 2GB RAM? Why is that on my 2008 MacBook with came with 2GB RAM, i could have a full desktop OS along with several desktop applications running smoothly? (desktop OS, desktop apps, by theory are more resource RAM/CPU hungry)

Has iOS and tablet/phone apps become so bloated that they have surpassed desktop resources requirements?

I can't believe that Safari still has to cache-out tabs and constantly reload them in devices with 2GB and fast flash storage. Does iOS even do virtual memory?(paging out application stacks to storage when not in use, etc?) Something just doesn't seem right with memory management and a whole host of other things in iOS.

iOS is starting to feel a lot like the classic MacOS did before OSX, and even it could have several applications loaded and running. </end-old-timer-rant>

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2015, 12:29 PM

And how come Word 5.1 loaded faster on a 6 MHz 68000 processor than Word 2007 on a decked-out quad 2007 PC?

Because times change.

And no, iOS does NOT do virtual memory. Which is why memory compression was such a big deal (that trickled over to the Mac in Mavericks and made a HUGE difference there).

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Because times change.
I understand that.

With your example:
My use cases with Wordf 2007 would be close to 80-90% to Word 5.1. And the 'real world difference' i would see is a newer version being slower to accomplish almost the same thing.

Magnitudes more processing power, faster and more memory .... and a slower end-user experience. Brilliant!

With reference to iOS, we traded a 'full desktop OS' for a slimmed down(supposedly) mobile OS, and mobile applications, which were supposed to require less resources. But it seems in order to run 2 apps side by side you need 2GB of memory? And the browser cannot remember your open web pages, and has to reload them constantly. *sheesh*

P
Jun 10, 2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
To have two apps 'active' you need a mobile device with 2GB RAM? Why is that on my 2008 MacBook with came with 2GB RAM, i could have a full desktop OS along with several desktop applications running smoothly? (desktop OS, desktop apps, by theory are more resource RAM/CPU hungry)
Hey, I did that on a 1MB Mac SE! OK so it barely ran, but the 4MB LC III had no problems.

Has iOS and tablet/phone apps become so bloated that they have surpassed desktop resources requirements?
Everything has grown. The biggest icons in the current OS X would not fit on the floppy disks of the first Mac. Web browsers are extreme cases though, with many sites being exceptionally large.

I can't believe that Safari still has to cache-out tabs and constantly reload them in devices with 2GB and fast flash storage. Does iOS even do virtual memory?(paging out application stacks to storage when not in use, etc?)
It does not. Initially I thought that this was because of flash lifetime, but now I don't understand why they keep doing it. Flash has exceptionally long lifetimes these days. Battery life maybe? But then reloading tabs over the network takes even more battery life.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2015, 02:53 PM

The Flash used in iOS devices is SLOW. Slower than SSD drives in computers. Also, writing to Flash uses considerable power, AFAIK.

We have a full OS running on (relatively) low-power processors, and needing to be far more immediately responsive (aka "snappy") due to the touch interface…

incidentally, I just back-stepped in the browser due to server overload on my MacBook Pro with 16 GB RAM and Safari reloaded the page and ate my previous draft of this reply…

P
Jun 10, 2015, 03:55 PM

Deleting is high power, IIRC, but same diff I guess. And i don't think they should implement automatic page outs for all apps, but I do think that they should save a few tabs in Safari, especially if you have written something into one. Not having to load the page over the network and then rendering it seems like a power save.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2015, 04:40 PM

Installed the beta on a spare machine - this is quite promising!
It is faster than Yosemite for sure, in its beta state too.

Office 2011 works well, definitely snappier... Safari in one bounce on this old iMac w 4GB RAM...

The split screen option is neat, but I wish Mission Control had the old Spaces style menu bar.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2015, 09:02 PM

You would think that apps like Word and Excel, where the core functions haven't really changed that much in years could use a system where they almost wrapped the fancy new HD features around a lightning quick, basic older version of themselves.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2015, 10:48 PM

****ing rerelease WriteNow.

mindwaves
Jun 11, 2015, 01:14 AM

Looking forward to El Capitan. A little worried about Java (or Sun's compatibility) in this version, which is absolutely needed for my job (need to access a website using a Java applet).

P
Jun 11, 2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
****ing rerelease WriteNow.
Hah. WriteNow was 68k assembler, porting that would be a challenge - and I think we would all go crazy for the lack of underlining spell check. Textedit probably has more features by now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 11, 2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
The split screen option is neat, but I wish Mission Control had the old Spaces style menu bar.
I use BetterTouchTool to do Win7-style window snapping to the left or right half of the screen. I've tried using full screen mode in iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, and more but losing the menubar is annoying. This is the one thing that Microsoft got right, it's worth copying.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 10:12 AM

Agreed. The Windows left/right window snapping feature is so much better than anything else in OS X's window management.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 10:29 AM

Well, it's a pain in the ass in El Capitan, just like it is in Yosemite.. It's such a simple thing but implemented with too much complexity that it's useless. I hear a touch pad makes the process easier, but still....
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 11, 2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Agreed. The Windows left/right window snapping feature is so much better than anything else in OS X's window management.
My only complaint is the (apparent) inability to snap to the right half of the left screen (or vice versa) in a dual display setup. And when un-snapping, the window reverts to its pre-snapped size and shape.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I use BetterTouchTool to do Win7-style window snapping to the left or right half of the screen. I've tried using full screen mode in iPhoto, iMovie, Safari, and more but losing the menubar is annoying. This is the one thing that Microsoft got right, it's worth copying.
I didn't realize how incredibly useful that feature would be. I'm stunned Microsoft implemented it so well, yet Apple acts like it's a feature not worth copying.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My only complaint is the (apparent) inability to snap to the right half of the left screen (or vice versa) in a dual display setup. And when un-snapping, the window reverts to its pre-snapped size and shape.
Hmmmm, not sure what you mean. I alternate between two- or three-monitor setup and it snaps to all halves. It "starts" pinning to whatever monitor the window appeared on when opened, and when you Window-arrowkey right or left it keeps pinning on the next "half" moving across the monitors - when it gets to the end, it will rotate back to the other side.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Looking forward to El Capitan. A little worried about Java (or Sun's compatibility) in this version, which is absolutely needed for my job (need to access a website using a Java applet).
Isn't the JVM pretty much OS agnostic?

P
Jun 11, 2015, 03:16 PM

No. Apps running inside the JVM don't care about the surrounding OS, but porting the JVM to an OS is major work.

Though I suppose they could rather easily make an X11 version that ran on OS X.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Hmmmm, not sure what you mean. I alternate between two- or three-monitor setup and it snaps to all halves. It "starts" pinning to whatever monitor the window appeared on when opened, and when you Window-arrowkey right or left it keeps pinning on the next "half" moving across the monitors - when it gets to the end, it will rotate back to the other side.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2015, 08:24 PM

Haha I honest don't know what that is supposed to convey

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 11, 2015, 09:54 PM

You blew his mind.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 10:06 AM

It wasn't me....it was Windows.

Seriously though. Because of that one feature I actually more and more dislike working on a Mac lately. I shudder in disgust when I have to manually resize a new Safari window.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 12:45 PM

It has always been weird to me that Chrome has been a far better browser for me than Safari for years. There is the tab resizing stuff, the better dev tools in Chrome, etc. I wonder why Apple hasn't conceded victory to Google and refactored Safari to work like Chrome does in terms of process management.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 02:34 PM

I've heard Chrome has its ups and downs. Sometimes it spanks Safari, sometimes it's a dog.

A few years back it felt like people were ditching it left and right.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2015, 03:14 PM

The newest version of Chrome appears to be the best they've released in some time. Memory usage is way down, leaks have been (mostly) plugged, and it feels more responsive and stable. IMO, it's the best browser again.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 03:49 PM

How do you know that memory usage is down and that there are fewer leaks?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2015, 03:53 PM

Using it, one would presume.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 01:07 PM

Using it, one would presume.
A tool is required for measuring this, there are too many variables to take into account to rely on observation alone.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 02:04 PM

Noting the difference between what's in RAM and what's getting paged-in doesn't require superhuman perception.

If an application consistently forces everything else I'm using into VM, it's being a memory hog.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 02:08 PM

Noting the difference between what's in RAM, and what's getting paged-in doesn't require superhuman perception.

If an application consistently forces everything else I'm using into VM, it's being a memory hog.

Sure, if you are using VM and it is clear that no other application is triggering the use of VM, fair enough, but with the amount of memory that computers have these days, are you guys using VM at all?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 02:16 PM

None on my "home theatre" computer, but it's new, and I sprung for 16GB. I'd have 2GB+ virtual if I only had 8GB.

My older laptop, which is running work crap, has twice as much VM (16GB) going as real memory.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 02:49 PM

Which OS?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 03:16 PM

Yosemite on the htpc, Mavericks on the lappy.

Photoshop and Lightroom are running on the latter.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 13, 2015 at 03:32 PM. )

P
Jun 13, 2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How do you know that memory usage is down and that there are fewer leaks?
Activity Monitor. On the memory tab, sort so you see the top memory hogs at the top. If one keeps going up, it's leaking.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 06:46 PM

POW! Right in the literals.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2015, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Activity Monitor. On the memory tab, sort so you see the top memory hogs at the top. If one keeps going up, it's leaking.

Not necessarily. Using available memory is fine, that's what it is there for. We've had this conversation many times on this forum, this is still true, no?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2015, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I like the "Customers who viewed this item also viewed" section on that page...
Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Yes, but I don't want to know how the Wasabi Green Peas come into play.
Something to do with Ass Goblins?

P
Jun 14, 2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Not necessarily. Using available memory is fine, that's what it is there for. We've had this conversation many times on this forum, this is still true, no?
Using available memory is fine, but if a single app is slowly consuming more and more memory, it is leaking. In practice, it is allocating memory and then not using it, meaning that less is available to be used by other applications, or as disk cache.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 10:27 AM

If the app is idling, okay, I see your point.

P
Jun 14, 2015, 01:14 PM

Even if it is doing work, it shouldn't grow unless the dataset grows - which it very rarely does.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2015, 01:23 PM

Even if it is doing work, it shouldn't grow unless the dataset grows - which it very rarely does.
It depends on the job. If a bunch of files are being loaded into memory, the memory size will balloon.

Let's not bicker though, my main point is that it is difficult to judge whether or not there are memory inefficiencies or leaks without in-depth analysis, and in our casual tech vernacular when people talk about something being a memory hog they often don't really understand these complexities.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2015, 05:17 PM

Using available memory is fine, but if a single app is slowly consuming more and more memory, it is leaking. In practice, it is allocating memory and then not using it, meaning that less is available to be used by other applications, or as disk cache.
Except a JVM. You can set the -Xmx (max memory) and it will grow if there is RAM and/or swap available.

Forum Links
Forum Rules