Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wich case would you choose for the TiBook?

Wich case would you choose for the TiBook? (Page 4)
milhouse
Senior User
Apr 20, 2001, 03:01 PM

How about a Kensington SkyRunner.The bag is about $99 http://www.kensington.com/products/pro_cas_d1389.html

Mine was free with the Ti. It comes in leather and nylon (I think). Lots of room for the goodies, well padded and is "executive briefcase" style.
best of luck

"-Dodge This"

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2001, 05:50 PM

Now that more like it. Thanks for the tip.

t_hah
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 04:49 AM

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 23, 2001, 12:15 PM

cool.
"-Dodge This"

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 12:45 PM

I like the Leather Flight Bag from outpost! Plus, that's an amazing price.

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2001, 01:35 PM

Everybody should look if they make a new product for
the TiBook. Those for the iBook are just perfect!

eleather.it

BPWatkins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2001, 04:52 PM

http://images.bestbuy.exodus.net/ima...nAw352h323.jpg

I bought one of these at BestBuy and I love it. It comes with a zippered "computer shuttle" that fits my TiBook *very* well.
Two big pockets in the clasped enclosure, folder pocket on the back with Velcro closures, Rugged construction and very well balanced. AND BIG for me it holds the following:
-TiBook
-VST Zip Drive
-Extra Battery
-Power Cables
-6ft firewire cable
-10ft network cable
-Apple mouse
-misc. CD's DVD's and Zip discs

And on the OTHER side:
-Pad folio
-Folders
-And a book

I LOVE THIS BAG!

WARNING *******
This configuration is neither Svelte nor lightweight. I'm toting about 16lbs of crap everywhere I go, but at least I look good doing it. My needs require I carry everything AND the kitchen sink.

YMMV
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...009726#details

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 06:27 PM

This is what I want in a bag for my tiBook:

1. Slim and sleep form. The main section should fit the book perfectly . No extra inch anywhere. An outer pocket that will accommodate the adapter, some cables and an external zip at the most.
2. the walls of the main compartment SHOULD BE CORRUGATED PLASTIC and there should be an internal pocket that suspends the book SO THAT THE LAPTOP IS PROTECTED!!!!!! Trager makes a nice one but it's too small and they are not going to offer a new one for the PB G4 until early next year. Damn. None of that soft, smooth looking **** . We need protection. It's a great feeling to be able to toss the bag around and not worry about damage. I don't get why so many manufacturers continue to make soft cases when corrugated plastic is great and light. Tom Bihn is on the right track I think.Trager too.
3. It would be nice if it were made of dark leather ....but that's obviously a personal preference.

Just my thoughts. I want something light and hard and good looking . Why is that so hard to get? What happened to the guy who was designing his own leather laptop case? Cna't find his website. Anybody know?

Ekim Neems
Apr 23, 2001, 06:58 PM

I've seen a few people ask this but no answers yet:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a BACKPACK that fits the TiBook, that isn't leather/nerdy and has room for books also?

I'm a college student and I need to not only carry my TiBook with good protection, but carry some books as well. Something plain would be nice, but not necessary.

elbow
Apr 23, 2001, 07:06 PM

What about the STM bag that MacNN reviewed? http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/stm...tmsport.phtml, that's what I'm getting for my Ti

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Ekim Neems:
Does anyone have a suggestion for a BACKPACK that fits the TiBook, that isn't leather/nerdy and has room for books also?

I'm a college student and I need to not only carry my TiBook with good protection, but carry some books as well. Something plain would be nice, but not necessary.
According to Nigel at Willow Design, they'll be putting out a G4 backpack in a few weeks, but he can't promise a date. If you can't wait, he can modify one of their larger backpacks for a few dollars extra. Both the Kerouac and Darwin will fit the G4 already, but the G4's sides will be right up against the padding. Both backpacks have enough room in a second main compartment for several textbooks. They're nice and plain, per your request.

Their website is here.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-23-2001).]

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 11:46 PM

What happened to the guy who was designing his own leather laptop case? Cna't find his website. Anybody know?
It's right here, Leather Ti Case

------------------

Ti/500/512/20
G4/533/512/40

microsoftsucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 03:36 AM

Anyone had any screen failures due to the flexy Ti bending? I know of two people now who've lost screens... even though their G4s were in padded bags and handled with care.

[This message has been edited by microsoftsucks (edited 04-24-2001).]

microsoftsucks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2001, 03:40 AM

I carry my Ti G4 around in the Eagle Creek Computer Vault. It's a padded sleeve that's sized big enough for a Ti G4 (or an iBook, according to the photo), with room 'nuf to spare for my Wacom tablet. In the zippered outer pocket, I carry my power supply and assorted cables:

And the sucker only cost me $25 at the local REI.

-----

Because I commute by bicycle and by airplane, I drop the sleeve into my Chrome Metropolis courier bag:

-----

Chrome also makes a swell-looking, backpack-strapped courier bag called theBackbone. It looks significantly bigger than a "regular" backpack:

-----

I also have a Boblbee bag, which my girlfriend bought for me in Italy two years ago:

It's a unique bag... but it doesn't fit underneath an airplane seat. For its large size, it carries a surprisingly SMALL load. And whoever mentioned in this thread that the bag is "impervious to the weather" has apparently never taken a Boblbee out in the rain. The top flap is NOT waterproof, despite what the Boblbee marketing folk might claim.

The Chrome Metropolis, on the other hand, IS waterproof. I regularly ride thru rainstorms, and nothing in the seamless inner pocket ever gets wet.

Ekim Neems
Apr 24, 2001, 09:38 AM

Thanks, Titanium Man =)

TTzz
Apr 24, 2001, 11:56 AM

This is the best I've sen so far:
http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=300

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2001, 06:11 PM

The problem with the Brain Bag is it's so darned expensive. You buy the case for $130. Then there's another $50 for the mandatory Lapdog. And maybe another $20 for the Snake Charmer if you want any organization for your cables and whatnot. That's $200 not including shipping.

The most expensive Willow backpack is only $140. They all have padding already, including three layers on the front, and quite a few internal pockets, including mesh pockets that let you find things easily and a nylon pocket for cables. All the computer stuff can be kept together but organized in one compartment. Look at how well organized just the computer compartment is:

It's easy to get to the laptop, since the main compartments can be completely unzipped for front loading. The Brain Bag is top load only. Getting in is quick, just unzip and undo the velcro strap. The Brain Bag makes you unzip, pull the Snake Charmer out, then open the Lapdog flap. Not having to slide the G4 in means the legendarily fragile rubber feet won't rub off in the Willows.

The G4 already fits well in the Thoreau, Kerouac and Darwin, but Nigel is just a little concerned that the G4 might be a bit more fragile than older PBs. He doesn't want to risk having the G4 so close to the sides, which is why he prefers to add a couple of dividers to reorient the G4 by 90 degrees. This gives a couple of inches of crush space on each side for more protection, especially important if you ever drop the backpack on its side. This kind of concern for your G4 is unusual for case manufacturers. Most just say a thin padded sleeve is enough protection.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-24-2001).]

Ekim Neems
Apr 25, 2001, 10:06 PM

Titanium Man, do you have a link to those Willow bags?

And does anyone know if the ChromeBags Laptop Sleeve fits the Powerbook G4? It doesn't look like it from the dimensions.

Right now my three choices are: Boblbee People's Delight, Chromebags Chrome Sputnik3 or Metropolis Courier, and that Willow seen above.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2001, 07:21 AM

Willow Design's backpack section. Each backpack page has lots of interior pictures. Also take a look at the customer comments page.

The Boblbee wouldn't be a good choice for school. It really doesn't have all that much capacity for the books you mentioned. It can expand, but only at the top. You're left with a wedge-shaped space, not the most practical shape for books. I'd recommend against a courier bag, too. What's easy to carry in a backpack or in one hand feels a lot different slung over one shoulder. I don't use my courier bag with heavy loads, despite its huge capacity. And huge spaces don't contribute to organization. The inside soon begins to look like a woman's purse, with all sorts of crap jumbled together in an unorganized mess.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-26-2001).]

Ekim Neems
Apr 26, 2001, 09:53 AM

I like the Willow a lot, but what about the Chromebags Backbone backpack? I don't even know if it has dedicated laptop compartment or not, but I can get a nice sleeve or something like that and put it in there, and this way it won't always be a dedicated laptop bag.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2001, 05:58 PM

The Backbone looks like it was created by a "designer," not someone who actually uses them. It doesn't have all the features a $150 backpack should have. The shoulder straps are straight, not contoured like the Willow, Brain Bag or Boblbee. Look at $300 mountaineering backpacks and you'll see contoured straps. The sternum strap is neither adjustable in height nor removable. There's no provision for a waist belt. I really dislike the idea of getting a padded sleeve and throwing it in an oversize compartment. In my experience, the laptop would always flop around and knock up against books and other items. Not to mention everything sinks to the bottom of the bag and then you have to start digging for stuff. That's one reason I like the Willow packs with the velcro strap firmly holding the laptop in place. There's even another velcro strap in the paperwork compartment, so you can actually carry two laptops, as the Brain Bag boasts. Or in my case a thin Canoscan scanner. As for the Willows being dedicated laptop bags, I don't see that as a problem. I intend to use mine even when I'm not carry my G4. I can throw a few more books in the laptop compartment or even put a Camelbak in there.

Victoria Herring
Apr 26, 2001, 09:00 PM

I have followed this thread and everyone has some good thoughts and ideas - but I come back to what I have said before - I'd like to find something light weight and yet sturdy enough to protect the Ti inside some bags etc I already have -= I'm not going to sling the thing around - it's just that I have two really great and gorgeous briefcases already that what I want to do is safely put the Ti into them and protect it -= right now I am just putting my Ti in one in a self-created plastic 1/4" thick soft wrap (a sheet came with a piece of Nambe ware, to protect it - so I figured it would protect my Ti a bit too) - this works perfect - but having a more permanent 'sleeve' (probably a sleeve rather than a bag) is what I want - and the problem then is that most are too thick (I don't want 2" - I want 1-1/4 " to slip closely to my Ti - the cords and power supply etc. all would go elsewher into my bags - it's the sleeve for protecting the Ti that I'm looking for....

HouseSold
Senior User
Apr 27, 2001, 02:52 AM

I regretted having to return the Madsonline wetsuit style sleeve because the 2 zippers rubbed against the TiBook case; also the neoprene had a rather pungent odor, otherwise an ideal solution.

I am inclined to try the following sleeve that appears to be similar at:
http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/body_z_4.htm

I have a very protective sleeve from timbuk2.com (Great people) which is excellent for a Targus case or going in a backpack and has carrying handles also.

See: http://timbuk2.com/products/laptopsleeve.html for sample

For business appointments, the executive aluminum style case from Sharper Image is sleek and light and Ti friendly and serves me well.

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 27, 2001, 03:37 AM

After a long search for the right bag for my Ti, I have selected, and purchased this bag. It just arrived today. It's a great case, very well constructed. It has a very snug compartment for the Ti, and it's protected on all sides. The flap opens up for additional storage, and pockets, as well as a zippered compartment. It's not too big, but just the right size. The handle is extremely comfortable. I can fit my zip drive, power supply, a few zip disks, and the inside pockets hold my VST firewire drive, compactflash card/adapter, and cables. The front buckle is very strong, yet not bulky. The zipper that closes around the Ti compartment is lined, so as not to scratch the Ti case. The compartment that the Ti sits in is some type of corrugated plastic, which is rock solid, and it has a very soft covering. It also has a full length storage pocket on the back of the case. The customer service was excellent, and friendly. The price was $85.
The lady holding the bag is not included.

Ekim Neems
Apr 27, 2001, 11:47 AM

Wow, I know I change my mind a lot, but I've definitely narrowed it down to two:

The TimBuk2 Computer Messanger Bag - They rock because you can build your own colors, add tons of accessories, and they have a sleeve SPECIFICALLY made for the TiBook... if the company specifically tailors a bag to an Apple Laptop, I like them =)

The WillowDesign backpack - It's the only truly good backpack I've seen so far, so if for some reason the messanger bag doesn't work out, I will return it and go with this.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Ekim Neems:
if the company specifically tailors a bag to an Apple Laptop, I like them =)
Then you should love Willow. See their Powerbook G4 case. Can't get much more tailored for the G4 than this. Don't even need a Podium Coolpad with the removable platform that's included. Too bad this wouldn't hold the books you mentioned.

[This message has been edited by Titanium Man (edited 04-27-2001).]

Ekim Neems
Apr 28, 2001, 04:42 PM

I just got an email from Mark @ ChromeBags, and he says they're releasing a smaller version of the Backbone backpack. I might get that with a Timbuk2 Widescreen Laptop case.

arrarra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 07:55 AM

In Response to Popular Demand, eleather.it is designing a custom-made carrying case for the Apple� "Titanium" - the "TIdressed"

Click here if you wish to be notified when the "TIdressed" is ready

We want to thank everyone for the enthusiastic reception of our "iDressed" iBook case. And especially thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and suggestions.

eleather.it staff

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2001, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by jules:
The large Laptop sleeve from goincase.com is terrific. It has a removable strap, and the zipper does not touch the computer.
That sleeve is only 13 inches wide. The TiBook is 13.4". How does it fit?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2001, 06:23 PM

Where can I find this amazing case?

Kenneth

------------------
Performa 6116CD (60MHz, 72MB RAM, 700MB, A/V)
iMac Rev.A (233MHz, 256MB RAM, 46.1GB HD,TV/SCSI)
iBook Rev.A (300MHz, 288MB RAM, 3.2GB HD, 12.1)
PowerBookG4 (400MHz, 384MB RAM, 10GB HD, 15.2, Titanium, AirPort)
Coming Up NeXT: 2GHz G5 (64-bit SoLo Video Editing System)
---------------------------------------------------------------

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2001, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
That sleeve is only 13 inches wide. The TiBook is 13.4". How does it fit?
It fits.

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2001, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by arrarra:
In Response to Popular Demand, eleather.it is designing a custom-made carrying case for the Apple� "Titanium" - the "TIdressed"

Click here if you wish to be notified when the "TIdressed" is ready

We want to thank everyone for the enthusiastic reception of our "iDressed" iBook case. And especially thanks to all of you for your helpful comments and suggestions.

eleather.it staff

Cool. We all want to thank eleather.it.

Titanium Man
Forum Regular
May 11, 2001, 07:18 AM

Something new for the mix:
http://www.willowdesign.com/PK-10.html

A backpack designed specifically for the Ti, with all the considerable protection and tons of pockets Willow backpacks provide. Nigel says he's also working on a Ti sleeve (not a thin, nearly worthless layer of neoprene, but real padding) and a cheaper version of their Ti briefcase.

RabidClwn
May 11, 2001, 02:43 PM

Kenneth,

That is the Vanguard Designer 1 Case with one of the Apple stickers that comes with your TiBook G4 stuck on it.

I have that case and get commented on it quite a bit. It stands out in the cubicle farm I call work and still retains the styling of the computer inside.

Benefits:[list][*] Looks as cool as the computer in it.[*] Hard shell does what it can to protect the TiBook G4
[/ist]

Drawbacks:
  • Can't fit the power saucer in it.
  • Has about 1/4th of an inch of padding inside case
  • Doesn't fit the TiBook G4 snugly and the straps can't strap tight enough to keep it from hitting the bottom of the case when you pick it up
  • Scratches VERY easily.

I like the case personally, but I still baby it. The one time I left it in the trunk over a weekend, I had to take my machine apart and fiddle with the monitor cable to keep the screen from blacking out (a weakness my particular machine already had that I had fixed).

Its not the safest case, but it matches the machine in it in almost every way - drawbacks and benefits.

I'm going to buy a second case for travel purposes. One that will be more protective and carry more. I still plan to use the Vanguard case on a daily basis though.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 12, 2001, 03:18 PM

I was in the Gap today and upon leaving the store a bag caught my eye. It looked really cool. What was even better was teh price... when I looked at the tag, it was originally $39.99, and they were now selling it for $16.99. The bag comes in four different colors, black like the old powerbooks, silver (looks like the tibook), white, and blue (like the ibooks). I chose the silver. It gets better... inside, there is a portable sleeve for the laptop...which by the way, fits the tibook like a glove. The bag has a handle, shoulder strap, and even hidden back=pack straps. It has plenty of room for extras.
I'll continue to use my standard black (Soren) bag, but this will be for special occasions...
regards,
dave
The Laptop Messenger-Pack

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 11:34 PM

I found those sleek aluminum cases on ebay. This guy sells them for $60 each.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1

I got mine for $52, he had another auction with 6 of them for $60 each.

mangoman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2001, 03:11 PM

I'm a TiBook owner and just bought a "Zoom XL" bag from Spire USA (http://www.spireusa.com/). They talked some good trash on their site, and I'm the kind o' fool who abuses bags while mountain biking.

BTW, their bags come with a sleeve inside which fits the TiBook.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Glad to be your guinea pig!

Dylan

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 08:53 PM

Here's another vote for the Waterfield Sleevcase by sfbags.com
This sleeve is pretty good, and well designed. It fits like a glove, without having to worry about the Ti's rubber feet. You can use it with just about any bag it will fit in (i'm using it with a regular backpack), or use it on its own when you don't need the other peripherals. It is definitely reasonably priced and the service is excellent. Each order gets a "personal touch", like someone actually cared about your order and not just thrown in a box and have an address label slapped on it.
One last thing...they have a money back guarantee, without any restocking fee. I know i'm starting to sound like a freakin commercial, but i'm just a very satisfied customer.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2001, 09:03 PM

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
May 14, 2001, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
the above image (to be nice to those on dial-ups)
i see one problem with that...
the zipper. it can definitely scratch the titanium if you're not careful putting it in or taking it out, especially if it also "fits like a glove"

mangoman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2001, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nuckin futs:
[B]Here's another vote for the Waterfield Sleevcase by sfbags.com

Hey, I forgot to mention: I bought a sleeve from them, too, and I love it. In fact, unless the sleeve that comes with the Spire Zoom XL bag is really killer, chances are good that I'll keep using my sleeve from sfbags.com

Dylan

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2001, 12:04 PM

I have the Goincase sleeve posted by Hawkeye. It's terrific. The zipper doesn't touch the Ti.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2001, 11:41 AM

I stopped by a local Gap and saw that case on sale for the 16.99 but they only had the cream color. I wish they had the silver. They have another one that's more of a over the shoulder messenger bag. Nice, and comes with the sleeve as well but it 34.99. Plus I don't really like the material of the sleeve in either of them. Kinda cheesy. Plus there isn't really any padding in the entire case of either of these bags especially the bottom.

I'm waiting my 2-3 weels that it's gonna take Sharper Image to send me that Aluminum case.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

ddiokno
Mac Elite
May 17, 2001, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
I stopped by a local Gap and saw that case on sale for the 16.99 but they only had the cream color. I wish they had the silver. They have another one that's more of a over the shoulder messenger bag. Nice, and comes with the sleeve as well but it 34.99. Plus I don't really like the material of the sleeve in either of them. Kinda cheesy. Plus there isn't really any padding in the entire case of either of these bags especially the bottom.
I'm waiting my 2-3 weels that it's gonna take Sharper Image to send me that Aluminum case.
I have the Laptop Messenger link up there to the Gap's page... you can order from them directly (and still get the $16.99 price)... I like my silver... it does complement the TiBook very nicely :-). I don't use it all the time, it is more of my on the go bag, and I thought I couldn't go wrong for 17 bucks ....
best of luck
dave

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 03:04 AM

Any other good ideas?

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 03:22 AM

Hey zorg128, how come we never see you in the Lounge?

------------------

zorg128  (op)
Forum Regular
May 23, 2001, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Bugs Bunny:
Hey zorg128, how come we never see you in the Lounge?

Because I recieved my TiBook!

Azerty
May 23, 2001, 02:03 PM

Could someone please explain why after spending so much on a Ti 'Book so many people are so obsessed with then putting their prized possession into the cheapest bag they can find?

I'm probably missing something somewhere but I just don't get it.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Azerty:
Could someone please explain why after spending so much on a Ti 'Book so many people are so obsessed with then putting their prized possession into the cheapest bag they can find?
I think we're all waiting to hear your expensive solution . . .

[btw, I use a Waterfield sleeve inside of a soft briefcase]

Azerty
May 23, 2001, 09:12 PM

Well Tony, I'm talking to a couple of Saddlemakers about having a custon sleeve and bag made. I think they understand leather pretty well. I spent so much on my 'Book i might as well go all the way and I haven't really been blown away by anything I've seen.

By the way my original post wasn't meant as a critisism of anyone. I just find it difficult to understand why spend so much on the Ti then look for the cheapest bag. When you go shopping on Madison Avenue or Rodeo Drive you don't have your goods put into a WallMart carrier bag so why do it to the Ti?

I just have these little quirks so anyone who doesn't agree with me should just ignore me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules