Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gizmodo Insists iPhone will be announced Monday

Gizmodo Insists iPhone will be announced Monday (Page 2)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by KeyLimePi View Post
so then...what will Apple's phone be called?

From all accounts, it's as much an iPod as a phone...so maybe just iPod Phone?
You're assuming that there will actually be an Apple phone. Personally I gave up on that rumor a long time ago.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
You're assuming that there will actually be an Apple phone. Personally I gave up on that rumor a long time ago.
I think Apple knows that eventually the iPod has to turn into one. Right now the hottest phones on the market are the music playing ones by Sony and Motorola. Apple is letting them corner the market so they better get crackin'.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 12:38 PM

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 12:43 PM

I hardly doubt Apple would introduce it now instead of MacWorld in less than 3 weeks. But I hope that isn't the only large announcement then.

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 18, 2006, 12:54 PM

Did anyone actually think it would be called the "iPhone"? I always assumed that was the general nickname everyone used.

It's clear Apple wants to leverage the iPod as a platform. The name has such huge brand recognition, that I couldn't imagine Apple dropping iPod from the product name. Just like they didn't name the nano and shuffle the iNano or iShuffle respectively, I wouldn't expect them to go the route of iPhone.

"iPod phone" or "iPod cell" seems much more plausible, even before we had this cisco product pop up today.

This is all assuming they even have a phone in the works. I will not be surprised or disillusioned if we don't even see one at MWSF.

Though it would be funny if Apple sent out a press invite for an event shortly after Jan 1, and captioned it as "Ring in the New Year". It would totally be in line with their tongue-in-cheek style with the last few invites.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 01:31 PM

Well? Nothing on the web site yet. sound of crickets in the background, and lots of folks smirking about the prediction being wrong.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
Well? Nothing on the web site yet. sound of crickets in the background, and lots of folks smirking about the prediction being wrong.
Perhaps you should read the first page?

The iPhone Lives: But the Trademark Belongs to Cisco - Gizmodo

"I start fires!"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
The prediction was dead on. The iPhone was announced today. Gizmodo did not say it would be Apple announcing the iPhone.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 04:16 PM

If apple ain't using it, someone else will

good one for cisco
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 04:27 PM

Wow, Gizmodo is lame. What a bunch of losers.

I guess it doesn't matter what Gizmodo says anymore, every word that spews forth from their pages is garbage. (Maybe that's not something new)

Macworld '07 still stands.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
I think AAPL might drop some more if they don't release that phone Monday.
AAPL is taking a hit today. Down 3%.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Wow, Gizmodo is lame. What a bunch of losers.

I guess it doesn't matter what Gizmodo says anymore, every word that spews forth from their pages is garbage. (Maybe that's not something new)
Why? Gizmodo was 100% accurate this time around.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
AAPL is taking a hit today. Down 3%.

Why? Gizmodo was 100% accurate this time around.
They were purposefully misleading. Definition is determined by usage, and every other article out there discussed the iPhone as the Apple iPhone. They knew exactly what they were doing when they said iPhone.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
They knew exactly what they were doing when they said iPhone.
Of course they knew. They said they knew it was Cisco as far back as Thursday.

If anyone is snickering, it's at Apple for letting Apple fanboys spend years building up recognition for a brand owned by someone else.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 04:56 PM

They were purposefully misleading. Definition is determined by usage, and every other article out there discussed the iPhone as the Apple iPhone. They knew exactly what they were doing when they said iPhone.
Of course they did. And they were 100% right.

"Gizmodo Knows: iPhone Will Be Announced On Monday

I guarantee it. It isn't what I expected at all. And I've already said too much.
"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Of course they knew. They said they knew it was Cisco as far back as Thursday.

If anyone is snickering, it's at Apple for letting Apple fanboys spend years building up recognition for a brand owned by someone else.
What would you propose that Apple do instead? At no point (that I can recall) has Apple ever said 'iPhone.' It's all speculation. Do you expect them to come out and say, "No you losers, it not iPhone, it's iChat Mobile" or whatever? Of course not. It's the Apple fanboys' fault if anything.

I guarantee it. It isn't what I expected at all. And I've already said too much.
"
They were 100% right using the most literal translation. But not if you go by the definition of the word that's dictated by common usage.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 06:33 PM

What would you propose that Apple do instead? At no point (that I can recall) has Apple ever said 'iPhone.' It's all speculation.
Precisely. The fanboys have been speculating about the iPhone for years, generating brand recognition around the name that has even extended beyond the geek-o-sphere. If Apple had any intention of launching a phone, they should have leaked a little information about a more accurate name so that Cisco's iPhone wouldn't benefit from the Apple speculation machine.

Apple's fault is it's incessant need for shocking product launches. Any rational company would have said something before the speculation got out of control. It wouldn't surprise me if any potential Apple phone product was scrapped simply because it could never live up to the speculation.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 07:00 PM

"
Don't try to make this out to be an innocent little joke or some sort of accidental misdirection. It was Gizmodo being shameless and trying to get page hits. Period. It was stupid. I didn't fall for it, since I knew Apple wouldn't introduce anything today, but I still think its a lame stunt.

This is an incident of a company misleading people to garner profit. Its precisely the type of behavior I hate. What if Apple were to pull something this? What if they had a page up and purposefully mislead its readers into thinking it had special info and such, only to get page hits and gain profit from it? Then when the lie was uncovered, they try to blame their readers for being stupid?

Yeah I think that would be a different outcome. There wouldn't be people saying "oh how silly of them!" There would be people saying "god I hate them, I hope they die."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 18, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Don't try to make this out to be an innocent little joke or some sort of accidental misdirection. It was Gizmodo being shameless and trying to get page hits. Period. It was stupid. I didn't fall for it, since I knew Apple wouldn't introduce anything today, but I still think its a lame stunt.

This is an incident of a company misleading people to garner profit. Its precisely the type of behavior I hate. What if Apple were to pull something this? What if they had a page up and purposefully mislead its readers into thinking it had special info and such, only to get page hits and gain profit from it? Then when the lie was uncovered, they try to blame their readers for being stupid?

Yeah I think that would be a different outcome. There wouldn't be people saying "oh how silly of them!" There would be people saying "god I hate them, I hope they die."
Personally I think it's quite amusing.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 07:46 PM

What would you propose that Apple do instead? At no point (that I can recall) has Apple ever said 'iPhone.'
iPhone.org

*gasp*

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 07:55 PM

Perhaps it will be called the MacPhone

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
Perhaps it will be called the MacPhone
Will I have to spend an extra $200 to get it in black, or an extra $900 to get the MacPhone Pro?

"I start fires!"

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
iPhone.org

*gasp*

That's really weird. How can that be explained?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 11:33 PM

Indeed, enquiring mammals want to know

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Indeed, enquiring mammals want to know
What the F are you guys doing? How do you find these? What is Apple doing? You're freaking me out! I feel like it's a weird dream where any generic address takes you to the apple site. Stop that! (More?)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 12:32 AM

That's what I got on the top of my head. Apple has a bunch of domains, mostly registered around 1999-2000. Mammals.org refers to Darwin and a campaign that was supposedly meant to show of the evolution of Mac OS X.

iPhone is blindingly obvious though

misc
Dec 19, 2006, 01:13 AM

What would you propose that Apple do instead? At no point (that I can recall) has Apple ever said 'iPhone.' It's all speculation. Do you expect them to come out and say, "No you losers, it not iPhone, it's iChat Mobile" or whatever? Of course not. It's the Apple fanboys' fault if anything.
Actually, I remember an interview many moons ago of Jobs saying there was no plan for an iPhone.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by misc View Post
Actually, I remember an interview many moons ago of Jobs saying there was no plan for an iPhone.
Most people think that he was bluffing
Signature depreciated.

misc
Dec 19, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
Most people think that he was bluffing
Well obviously not...

Whatever, let Apple concentrate on computers...

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Kevin Dunahee
Dec 19, 2006, 02:26 AM

Do you guys think the old Newton card will be played in naming the phone? Don't forget where Newton.com leads.
( Last edited by Kevin Dunahee; Dec 19, 2006 at 04:12 PM. )

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Dunahee View Post
Do you guys think the old Newton card will be played in naming the hone? Don't forget where Newton.com leads.
Don't tell me, I'm gonna check....

NO ING WAY!

haha.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:36 AM

ha ha, that's funny!

wonder if apple will be forced to give up iphone.org once they release their own product as Cisco could claim something or another in trademark court...

Don't tell me, I'm gonna check....

NO ING WAY!

haha.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
ha ha, that's funny!

wonder if apple will be forced to give up iphone.org once they release their own product as Cisco could claim something or another in trademark court...
Who do you think they are...Apple?

Forum Links
Forum Rules