Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 02:31 AM

I noticed there was no particular Wii thread, so I thought I'd start one. I'm eager to see the Wii on the marketplace and all the final specs and features. At this point, I'd like to know if Nintendo will allow USB hard drive connection (instead of memory cards) or not. 512 MB doesn't seem like an awful lot for all the things Nintendo seems to want to offer for download.

That aside, I think the Wii has great promise. I'm looking forward to putting it next to my new Mac mini.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added Wii link)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 02:44 AM

In before Starman.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Wii less than I was now that I know how expensive it will be. $150-ish for controllers? Yuck. The magic wand idea still seems kind of neat, and I hope the system is impressive when it finally comes out (so much seems to be in flux), but right now Zelda is the only thing on there that's making me go ooh.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 02:46 AM

I just want my damn Zelda. (TM)

Trying to figure out whether or not to buy a new TV for the Wii. The current tv I've been using is a crappy all in one vhs/14" thing.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 02:50 AM

Don't buy a new TV for the Wii; buy a new TV because your screen is smaller than the one on my PowerBook.
Chuck
___

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Don't buy a new TV for the Wii; buy a new TV because your screen is smaller than the one on my PowerBook.
Well, the other option I've thought about is throwing a All In Wonder into my PC and using it's 18" screen.

Or I was thinking about buying a 40" HD set because I just started a new job that pays really well. I might wait for those prices to come down a bit more though...

And no, I don't care that the Wii wouldn't be 1080p on the 40" set. The HD would be for Halo 3 next year and BSG, but otherwise, I don't care.

Edit: Actually, looking at the tv now, it must be 16 or 17 inches.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 03:09 AM

In before Starman.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Wii less than I was now that I know how expensive it will be. $150-ish for controllers? Yuck.
Well, that's the cost of all of them together, not any single controller, right?

On the other hand, if you can use any old SD card or even a USB hard drive instead of proprietary memory cards, that would seem compensate for it, wouldn't it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Well, that's the cost of all of them together, not any single controller, right?

On the other hand, if you can use any old SD card or even a USB hard drive instead of proprietary memory cards, that would seem compensate for it, wouldn't it?
Not really. I play a lot of multiplayer games, but I don't tend to buy eleventy billion memory cards. I'd be much more OK with expensive cards.

Anyway, the point is, it doesn't really work out to be cheaper than the Xbox once you've bought everything. The Xbox is more than I'd hoped to spend, so this is too.
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 06:11 AM

Anyway, the point is, it doesn't really work out to be cheaper than the Xbox once you've bought everything. The Xbox is more than I'd hoped to spend, so this is too.
I'm not sure I understand that logic. The 360 is $400 with one controller. The Wii is $250 with one controller. If you're multiplayer mad and want 4 controllers, the 360 would cost you (at retail) $550 ($400 + $50 x 3 for extra controllers). The Wii would cost you around $430 ($250 + $60 x 3 for extra nunchucks and remotes). The cost of the memory is truly negligible. 512MB cards are practically being given away.

Now if you want to compare the 360 Core system with the Wii, you'll get closer but I think you'd be a fool to buy a Core system because you can't even save your game without then buying a $40 64MB memory unit, plus you don't get a lot of the other niceties of the Premium system, like the wireless controller and hard disk (necessary for backwards compatibility, downloading games and updates, etc).

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 06:29 AM

I'm looking forward to Wii less than I was now that I know how expensive it will be. $150-ish for controllers? Yuck.
I'm not pleased with the price of the controllers either, but they're not that expensive: $60, not $150. Still expensive, but not more than the DS.

At the same time, it's worth noting that while the price of the controllers is going up relative to the GameCube, the price of the games is going down. Overall that should mean savings in the long run: which does one buy more often?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 08:53 AM

all you gotta do is wait for the first price war and you're set to get some extras in the bundle

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I'm not pleased with the price of the controllers either, but they're not that expensive: $60, not $150. Still expensive, but not more than the DS.

At the same time, it's worth noting that while the price of the controllers is going up relative to the GameCube, the price of the games is going down. Overall that should mean savings in the long run: which does one buy more often?
Huh? The price of Wii games vs. the GC has gone UP!

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I just want my damn Zelda. (TM)

Trying to figure out whether or not to buy a new TV for the Wii. The current tv I've been using is a crappy all in one vhs/14" thing.
You don't need a Wii for Zelda.

Make sure you don't get an HDTV, because the Wii won't look good on it.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by starman
You don't need a Wii for Zelda.

Really? How come?
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 09:19 AM

That's BS. It's true that the Wii won't support true HD like the other next gen consoles, but it does support widescreen 480p. It's not going to look terrible on an HDTV, but it won't look as good as the other consoles.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 09:20 AM

I just want it to be region free... so I can play games in English here in Japan....

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 09:21 AM

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. Only the PS3 will truly be region-free. (Some Xbox 360 games are region free, but most aren't.)

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
That's BS. It's true that the Wii won't support true HD like the other next gen consoles, but it does support widescreen 480p. It's not going to look terrible on an HDTV, but it won't look as good as the other consoles.
I have TWO HDTVs. 480p looks like CRAP on it. Jaggies, bad colors, crap.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 09:28 AM

Good for you. I have 2 HDTVs too...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 09:31 AM

I have 3, so there

And I will have the Wii hooked to the biggest one, my LCD front projection setup in my theater.

I'm looking forward to the Wii.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 10:07 AM

I have TWO HDTVs. 480p looks like CRAP on it. Jaggies, bad colors, crap.
Right, but I was under the impression the Wii didn't have those problems thanks to... and I can't recall the rest.

I don't have an HDTV but I will certainly be buying one before or soon after the Wii release so I'm just wondering. Of course even so I won't be an early adopter. Not after the DS Lite.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 10:11 AM

I think the PS2 and both Xboxes spoiled me. Everything I own is HD now: TVs, HD-DVD, BR, Xbox 360. After you see what you can get for a small amount of money, you sort of wonder why, why, WHY Nintendo went ghetto with the Wii. Once you see what HD is, going back to something like 480p really feels jarring.....like "ewww!".

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 10:14 AM

I think the PS2 and both Xboxes spoiled me.
What does that mean?

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 10:17 AM

What does that mean?
I think I made that perfectly clear in my explanation.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 10:20 AM

Well, it *sounds* like you're saying that the PS2 and Xbox (non 360) support HD resolutions, which is not true AFAIK.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
I noticed there was no particular Wii thread, so I thought I'd start one.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...i-or-xb360/29/

Did you miss the 800lb. gorilla in the room?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 10:30 AM

Well, it *sounds* like you're saying that the PS2 and Xbox (non 360) support HD resolutions, which is not true AFAIK.
Um, it's VERY, VERY true.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ad.php?t=88765

EDIT: That chart is borked. I'll find out why, but the PS2 in fact does support 1080p with Gran Turismo 4.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 10:41 AM

Well, from that chart you provided it looks as though 8 or 9 games out of about 182 support resolutions higher than 480p. Are you saying that you've been playing only these games?

And the thread you linked to has a post that says:

I'd drop the 720p/1080i categories for Gamecube/PS-2 and 5.1 sound on Gamecube (and go with Pro-Logic 2).

Since neither the GC or PS-2 support those resolutions, no point in having in a Matrix

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 10:43 AM

But WHEN was that posted? We've mentioned here on NN that the PS2 DOES IN FACT support 1080. Are you saying it doesn't?

Gran Turismo 4 for PlayStation 2 Review - PlayStation 2 Gran Turismo 4 Review

"Also, while the game supports both 480p and even 1080i resolution, its implementation does not prevent a few jaggies or blurring effects from appearing during replays."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 10:46 AM

Well, from that chart you provided it looks as though 8 or 9 games out of about 182 support resolutions higher than 480p. Are you saying that you've been playing only these games?
No I think he's saying this is higher than the amount of HD games available for the Wii, the next-gen system.

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 10:46 AM

Hey, thanks for trolling, guys!

But, you really didn't have to.

No, really.

Nintendo is going for the BROADEST POSSIBLE AUDIENCE. Get it? Can you understand that? Hence, no HD hardware or software because the VAST MAJORITY of people around the world do not have equipment capable of it. Making everyone pay for something a few will actually use would be a shitty thing to do.

So why don't you crow about the PS3 in a PS3 thread and about the 360 in a 360 thread instead of in a Wii thread? Oh, right. Trolls can't help their meager selves.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by zro
Nintendo is going for the BROADEST POSSIBLE AUDIENCE.
If that were true they would use controllers that were more like the PS3 & 360 and they would be pushing for huge 3rd party support, specifically including sports games.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by zro
Hey, thanks for trolling, guys!

But, you really didn't have to.

No, really.

Nintendo is going for the BROADEST POSSIBLE AUDIENCE. Get it? Can you understand that? Hence, no HD hardware or software because the VAST MAJORITY of people around the world do not have equipment capable of it. Making everyone pay for something a few will actually use would be a shitty thing to do.

So why don't you crow about the PS3 in a PS3 thread and about the 360 in a 360 thread instead of in a Wii thread? Oh, right. Trolls can't help their meager selves.
We covered this in the other thread.

Nintendo's making a LOT of mistakes, not just in the graphics department. No third-party wireless until NEXT YEAR, a brand new controller which may OR MAY NOT fly, TWO versions of Zelda, not to mention that the specs of the Wii aren't that much better than the GC itself, which makes you wonder why they're forcing everyone to buy a new console instead of making the new controller a GC addon.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
No I think he's saying this is higher than the amount of HD games available for the Wii, the next-gen system.
Well, what I'm saying is that it's disingenuous to say that the PS2 and Xbox have "spoiled you" when in fact the vast majority of games don't anything but 480p (and in the case of the PS2, they often don't even support that).

I agree that it's too bad they didn't support HD. I love HD. My Xbox 360 looks great in HD. But I don't think that the Wii will look especially bad on an HDTV. I've run my Xbox 360 via composite video to my HDTV and it still looked pretty good.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:03 AM

Well, what I'm saying is that it's disingenuous to say that the PS2 and Xbox have "spoiled you" when in fact the vast majority of games don't anything but 480p (and in the case of the PS2, they often don't even support that).
*sigh*

Yes, it DOES support 480p. Why do you say it doesn't?

Video Modes Supported : Progressive Scan (480p)

67 games listed for the PS2 that supports 480p.

And to be CLEAR, I said "Xboxes" (plural).

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 11:10 AM

Starman, knock it off.

I'm sick of seeing every console thread derailed. Keep any console feuding to the current Xbox/Wii/PS3 thread.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:18 AM

I'm not sure I understand that logic. The 360 is $400 with one controller. The Wii is $250 with one controller. If you're multiplayer mad and want 4 controllers, the 360 would cost you (at retail) $550 ($400 + $50 x 3 for extra controllers). The Wii would cost you around $430 ($250 + $60 x 3 for extra nunchucks and remotes). The cost of the memory is truly negligible. 512MB cards are practically being given away.
Xbox controllers cost half of what you're calculating there. The price difference turns out to be $50. I'm just saying, Wii turns out to be a lot pricier than I had hoped for given Nintendo's record. It needs to be quite impressive. Hopefully it will be.

Incidentally, does Nintendo have anything like Xbox Live planned for launch? I haven't heard anything about it.
Chuck
___

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 11:19 AM

*sigh*

Yes, it DOES support 480p. Why do you say it doesn't?
I never said the PS2 doesn't support 480p. I said a lot of games don't support it. I even have component cables for my PS2, so I know it supports it!

But Lateralus is correct. Let's move on.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:20 AM

Incidentally, does Nintendo have anything like Xbox Live planned for launch? I haven't heard anything about it.
Yes, they have some kind of Wireless network. No details on it yet (someone please post details if they're out). I'd be interested in a console-based Animal Crossing, the DS version didn't impress me too much.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 11:22 AM

Xbox controllers cost half of what you're calculating there. The price difference turns out to be $50. I'm just saying, Wii turns out to be a lot pricier than I had hoped for given Nintendo's record. It needs to be quite impressive to persuade people not to spend a couple of bucks more on an XBox.
The MSRP for Xbox 360 wireless controllers is $50. Is this not correct?

It's not entirely clear, but they have mentioned that there will be online play. However, there was also some mention of the lame "friend code" system that they use for the DS. I don't think it will be as good as Xbox Live.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:25 AM

The MSRP for Xbox 360 wireless controllers is $50. Is this not correct?
Yeah, but I don't like controllers that take batteries anyway. Give me old-fashioned wired goodness any day of the week.
Chuck
___

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:25 AM

I never said the PS2 doesn't support 480p. I said a lot of games don't support it. I even have component cables for my PS2, so I know it supports it!

But Lateralus is correct. Let's move on.
Sorry, it was how you worded what you wrote (the use of the word "they"). My mistake.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 11:26 AM

Yeah, but I don't like controllers that take batteries anyway. Give me old-fashioned wired goodness any day of the week.
Yes and no on that.

I already suffered the trouble of not having batteries in the house when I needed them for a controller.

Conversely, when you have two kids running around, wireless controllers rock.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2006, 11:27 AM

Wireless is one of the biggest things I look forward to this generation. I'm sick of worrying about people tripping over them, accidentally pulling my console off the entertainment center is I lean back too far, or having a tangled mess on the coffee table if I don't put the controller back with the system.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 11:29 AM

Fair enough, but if you're comparing the two I think it makes sense to compare like with like. You can't get wired controllers for the Wii (aside from the "classic" controller, but I assume that's not compatible with the games that use the remote).

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 11:58 AM

I've been an advocate of the Wii for a while now, but I'm also getting less and less excited about it.

Nintendo's games are always fun. I absolutely love them and always have. The problem I have is that sports games, like Madden, had better play very well with the Wii-mote for them to do well. They are basically like playing a PS2 game with a new control scheme. Games that aren't created from the ground up for the Wii-mote probably aren't going to be that great. There are no significant graphical upgrades to speak of, so the success of the game will depend entirely on how fun it is to play. Thinking about playing Madden the way that it's described in hands-on previews doesn't sound very appealing to me.

This means that Nintendo will be relying mostly upon its first party games...once again. Only if they're able to pull in non-gamers or former gamers will the Wii be a smash hit. I'm willing to give it a try, but I'm not so sure how many "non gamers" will get into it. I'm just going to watch and see what happens.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 11:59 AM

I already mentioned that I have TV to watch in HD and Halo 3 to play in HD. And I honestly don't care if the Wii is not in 1080p. I just want a tv that's going to last me for the next 5-10 years and something I can watch a few hd channels on (and there really are only a few HD channels).

If the Wii doesn't support HD, I don't mind, because not much else on tv does 1080p either.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Thinking about playing Madden the way that it's described in hands-on previews doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Just curious, but how is it described?

Personally, I hope that there will still be a fair number of games that use semi-traditional controls. Just because you CAN use motion sensing or gestures doesn't mean that you should in every case.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2006, 12:11 PM

IGN: Madden NFL 07 Preview

"To hike the ball, you simply snap the Wii remote back. When you want to throw, you select your receivers via the four sides of the D-Pad or A button, and then make a throwing motion with the remote. If you snap the controller forward, you'll throw a bullet pass. If you're slow with your motion, you'll lob it. And, naturally, somewhere in between is where you'll find your normal passes. Meanwhile, you control your quarterback in the pocket with the analog stick on the nunchuk, easily moving him around and avoiding tackles."

I'm wondering how many people will accidentally throw their remotes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2006, 12:15 PM

I'm wondering how many people will accidentally throw their remotes.
There's a strap on the remotes you know.

What I like about Zelda is the motions you make and very subtle. There's not flailing of remotes. Sword strikes are just flicking your wrist. Should be interesting.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 12:16 PM

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules