Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Some web pages will connect, some don't on my new (to me!) Mac...

Some web pages will connect, some don't on my new (to me!) Mac...
belfast-biker
Jul 4, 2006, 05:00 PM

Hi there - I got a Dual 450 Powermac G4, 256Mb (shoulda been 512MB, person selling made a slight error, I've another stick of RAM to put in, if that makes a difference here) a few days ago - I have two PC's in the house alongside the Mac - have file sharing working between three machines, and a Linksys BEFSR41 V4 Cable Router for sharing an NTL 10Mb cable connection.

On the PC's, all web pages work, but some simple pages like youtube.com and my own homepage at www.belfast-biker.com won't load (probably other), giving the error messages below... I simply can't work this out. Tried refreshing.

"Safari can't connect to the server"

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.belfast-biker.com."

I've all three computers set up on static IP - 192.168.1.168, 169 and 170.

Router is obviously 192.168.1.1. and it makes little odds whether I've Dynamic IP set up or not. Port forwarding is setup on a high value (48000+) port for a mac application, and another similar port is setup to the IP of one of the PC.s Both applications using these ports work a treat.

Anyone better than me able to give a hand? I'm truly flummoxed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2006, 05:05 PM

Try a traceroute to your website and see where the connection dies, this will help you know where to focus your attention.

Report back to us with teh results...

belfast-biker  (op)
Jul 4, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Try a traceroute to your website and see where the connection dies, this will help you know where to focus your attention.

Report back to us with teh results...

tracert obviously works fine on the PC, but I've never never traced on the mac before (never USED a Mac before Friday...) - I loaded terminal and did a "traceroute www.belfast-biker.com" and also one one page page that DOES load, news.bbc.co.uk, and both gave similar messages:-

"No route to host".

Clearly I'm doing it a wee bit wrong...

belfast-biker  (op)
Jul 4, 2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by belfast-biker
tracert obviously works fine on the PC, but I've never never traced on the mac before (never USED a Mac before Friday...) - I loaded terminal and did a "traceroute www.belfast-biker.com" and also one one page page that DOES load, news.bbc.co.uk, and both gave similar messages:-

"No route to host".

Clearly I'm doing it a wee bit wrong...

Sorted - turned out to be peerguardian blocking, despite the fact that it wasn't running - two processes using it's icon WERE running... App trashed now....

And found "network utility" and some nice network tools...

All good learning....

Forum Links
Forum Rules