Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox and Flash = 100% load

Firefox and Flash = 100% load
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2005, 09:26 AM

I have noticed on a few occassions now that if I go to a site in Firefox that has a few bits of Flash on it, it will max out my processor and bring Firefox to its knees. One of these is www.stalker-game.com, I just noticed this one today, had to force quit FF to regain control. HardOCP (www.hardocp.com) does this sometimes too with the large assortment of flash banner ads. This happen to anyone else? Safari doesn't seem to have a problem though.

Scrolling pages with flash ads on it doesn't happen anywhere near as smoothly as on my PC with FF eventhough my mac is a 15" 1.2PB with 756MB of ram.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 11:01 AM

I have noticed this as well. As a flash developer, I look at a lot of flash sites, and on more than a few occasions I've had to force quit out of firefox and look at something in Safari.

There is definitely an inconsistency in the way firefox handles plug-in content like that...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2005, 11:37 AM

Are you using the latest stable release, or a nightly?

I've had this happen before, where Flash causes my machine to SPROD, but only with the nightly builds. The last stable release works fine with them. I follow the nightlies semi-regularly, and this issue seems to have popped up very soon after the stable release. It has been a problem ever since.

In any case, try reverting back to the 1.0 release. I haven't used it in some time, but I don't remember encountering the problem there.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

osxisfun
Feb 17, 2005, 11:46 AM

yet another reason why i hate flash. the only good news is that the new version is supposed to be faster on OSX so i am hoping they make it so it does not hog my cpu as well.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2005, 11:51 AM

I get that plenty with FF 1.0. When it happens, no controls in Firefox work at all, and the Flash animation is frozen. The weird thing is that if I hold down the mouse button, the Flash will animate normally, but only while the button is down. Does that ever happen to anyone?

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 04:08 AM

wataru, that's exactly what happens to me, holding the mouse button and all. This is with the 1.0 release, I don't mess with bleeding edge much.
Sieb
Blackbook

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 04:19 AM

I've found that some Flash things do that 100% of the time, and some only do it occasionally. If it hits you all the time, I think your only option is to avoid that particular Flash item. You could, for instance, block only that particular one with the Adblock extension.

Just out of curiosity, what extensions do you have installed? Maybe it's a bug in one of them. I have:
Web Developer 0.9.2
Japanese Language Pack 1.0
Sage 1.3
downTHEMall! 0.9.4
SlashFix 0.21
Tweak Network 1.0
Adblock v.5 d2 n39
del.icio.us 0.3.4
ForecastFox 0.5.8
(Jeez, I didn't know I had that many!)

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 06:35 AM

All I have is Tabbrowser Preferences and Gmail Notifier.
Sieb
Blackbook

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 06:13 PM

This appears to be a problem that affects Gecko browsers in general. Those few Flash adds that almost grind Firefox to a halt on OS X also do the same in Camino and Firefox 1.0 for Windows.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 03:56 PM

well, I'm using the G4 optimized FireFox build on my Dual G4 1.25.
"Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b2) Gecko/20050307 Firefox/1.0+ (PowerBook)"

However, everytime I goto macnn.com, FireFox will give me a spinning beach ball. I noticed that it only happened when those lame Microsoft flash as on the right side of the page. I used to have AdBlock extension installed, but it messed up some of the site.

Any idea?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 06:41 PM

Flash ads bring my ibook to its knees in both safari and FF, but its worse with FF. I downloaded Adblock and pithhelmet and problem solved.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Buck_W
Senior User
Mar 11, 2005, 09:11 AM

I was glad to find this thread because I was wondering whether anybody else was having this problem with FF. I have really enjoyed FF's tabbed browsing capabilities, but I am sick of having to Force Quit out of so many websites (due to the spinning beach ball). This morning was the final straw. I'm not interested in having to download various software blockers. I'll just go back to Safari until the makers of FF get the problem resolved. It seems that the problem lies with them not with those who choose to use flash on their websites.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules