Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Remembering LEAP networks

Remembering LEAP networks
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2005, 07:28 AM

Ok, so this has bugged the crap out of me for quite some time now. My work wireless network uses LEAP and its annoying that OSX can't remember it as a preferred network regardless of what Apple says. So I bumbed around inside the network settings and noticed that I can ADD networks to the list, and this lets me select what encryption to use.. BUT.. the minute I select LEAP and enter my login info and hit save, it defaults it to WEP in the list.. WTF?

Then I tracked down the prefered networks list for airport ( /Library/Preferences/SystemConfig/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist ). In here I noticed that I can manually change the network from WEP to LEAP (as root) and it will show up correctly in the Network list of preferred network, but will change back to WEP if you try to edit it. I even created an entry on my keychain with the login info, but that didn't help. This got me thinking though, if only I knew what settings it used in the plist, then perhaps I could manually add the LEAP network so it would automatically connect to it for me..

Or not..

Does anyone have any ideas if/how this can work? Or if its possible to script Automator to do it using a keychain entry?
( Last edited by sieb; Jul 15, 2005 at 08:01 AM. )
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

new newton
Banned
Nov 27, 2005, 10:05 PM

This is probably a little late for sieb, but it might help someone in the future.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302399

Forum Links
Forum Rules