Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook InvisibleShield

Macbook InvisibleShield
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 07:56 AM

http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APPMCBF.html

Has anyone put this on their Macbook? I was thinking about the full body kit but didn't want to drop the money on it without hearing others experience with it. I read the old thread about putting it on an iPod, but I want to know about using with with a Macbook.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

craigb6
Jul 21, 2006, 09:10 AM

I found two reviews when I was working out how much it would cost me to get a MacBook, still need to convince my parents though!

http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/07/15/...isible-shield/

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...ld_for_macbook
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 09:58 AM

Yes, I have one. The top piece is very, very difficult to get smooth (water bubbles are hard to get out). It does a great job though - if you want to avoid scratches it's well worth the investment. I do not recommend putting the pieces on the touchpad or the touchpad button, however.

To do it right, you will need a nice, clean work area, about an hour, and a lot of patience. If you do it right the first time you will benefit for years to come. If/when you sell it, you can keep it on or peel it off - no residue is left behind! (well, maybe a little but you can wipe it up) Start out with the battery piece to get a feel for it and then move on to the rest of the bottom, the wrist rests, and then the top. The top is tricky so take your time on it. Here are some photos:

White:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/0401/se...7594173598297/

Black:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=6

Conclusion: Very much worth it, much patience required for application.

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2006, 02:52 PM

Cool, the pics are very helpful, thanks.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

masugu
Senior User
Jul 21, 2006, 06:56 PM

<sigh> Too bad Apple can't pick a different casing material for the next rev...maybe they will.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Kifwalu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 01:53 PM

I have the Invisible Shield (PITA by the way to install the top part, my suggestion... get it as wet as you can WHILE yo peel it off the backing, sticks to itself bad if you don't... and start with the smaller ones and work your way UP!)

Any suggestions on the trackpad, I installed it but it's sticky and uncomfortable to use, I want to take it off, but then, I don't want to get wear on the trackpad if I do...

kaido
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kifwalu
I have the Invisible Shield (PITA by the way to install the top part, my suggestion... get it as wet as you can WHILE yo peel it off the backing, sticks to itself bad if you don't... and start with the smaller ones and work your way UP!)

Any suggestions on the trackpad, I installed it but it's sticky and uncomfortable to use, I want to take it off, but then, I don't want to get wear on the trackpad if I do...
Remove the shield from the trackpad and the trackpad button. They make it almost useless. You can keep it on the trackpad button if you want, but I didn't care for the feel. You can always use a Magic Eraser or something to clean it off as needed.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2006, 05:58 PM

I just ordered mine. It seems as if everyone is having a really though time with the top. BTW does anybody have any stains on their laptop? If so what is a good way to get them off before applying the shield? And what is a good way to clean the laptop before applying the shield?

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by kaido
Remove the shield from the trackpad and the trackpad button. They make it almost useless. You can keep it on the trackpad button if you want, but I didn't care for the feel. You can always use a Magic Eraser or something to clean it off as needed.
I actually use the touchpad and button skins and that is what shows wear on my laptops in just a few months. My 12" PowerBook was the best (without protection) but showed signs of (glossy) wear. My iBook's looked like a friggin mirror in the center

I did not like the feel of the touchpad at first but now (several weeks later) don't even notice the difference. Although I've changed mine a few times. I bought the complete MacBook package and put it on two MacBook's (by cutting the large cover for the 2nd MacBook).

PS I ended up redoing mine and now I'm using sheet protector that's probably about $0.30 a sheet (8.5x11). Works fine, just a little residue to clean off when you take it off.

PPS Yeah I know I'm cheap!
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 07:21 PM

I ordered the InvisibleShield for MacBook; it arrived the week after my MacBook arrived. Putting on the wristrests and touchpad pieces were fairly easy. I'm happy that those areas are protected; these are the areas that get the most wear on a notebook. I could NOT get the top shield to look right, so wound up scrapping it. I spent a good hour trying to get that piece of plastic on, even enlisted my sister's help, but I still could not get it to look right. I stretched it, took it off, and re-applied various times and it still looked horrible.

I'm not disappointed, though, I think protectection to the areas that get the most wear is essential.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kaido
I initially detested the feel, but I quickly got used to it. Magic Eraser works by wearing off the plastic.
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 11, 2006, 07:31 PM

I got it on mine . . . works great . . . did the key test too . . . . i think it's totally worth the investment
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2006, 08:54 AM

Didn't get invisible shield, but did go w/ ApplePeelz and they use 3M for their film. I chose them over Invis Shield because they had more flexibility in the pieces I wanted to order and was cheaper. One slight drawback is that they don't offer lifetime warranty.

You can read my review here.

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...epeelz-review/

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 12, 2006, 06:40 PM

As of right now I am extremly furious with Shield Zone. My item has not been shipped yet and they have a gurantee that if you buy the item online before 1PM E.S.T. Tues-Fri you will have same-day-shipping. I ordered mine Monday and they havent shipped it. I keep calling them but this women named Karen continuly answers and hangs up on me right when I tell her my name. If this issue does not get resolved by tommorow then I am calling the credit card company and cancelling the order.

set0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by CyberGreg
PS I ended up redoing mine and now I'm using sheet protector that's probably about $0.30 a sheet (8.5x11). Works fine, just a little residue to clean off when you take it off.
You can buy a large sheet of white or black vinyl (the kind they use for car decals) from specialty stores (you can get them on eBay too). If you look hard enough, you can find sheets with less sheen to better match the Macbook surface (like the Marware protection pack). I preferred this over the InvisibleShield because the look (gloss) and feel (touchpad) on the Blackbook just didn't do it for me.

I did it on my old laptop and it never had to be replaced (I had the laptop for over a year). This kind of vinyl does not leave residue when peeled.

You are going to have to cut it yourself though.

LazyRosy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 06:18 PM

I know most owners prefer the pristine Apple white or black, but if you're not afraid to be creative I would suggest browsing Macstyles.com...my son (PowerBook Titanium) and I (MacBook 2gb white) have both ordered exterior and interior vinyls and in addition to offering scratch and dirt protection, they look great (and keep me from freaking out over scratches and stains ;-).

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 09:38 PM

If you're going to apply this and are worried about bubbles, use a ruler or credit card to smooth it on. Go from the inside out too of course
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

stevenind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 10:04 PM

I could not get the large top and bottom pieces to smooth out and adhere without looking poorly. I think the wrist area protections apply fine and work well to protect the MB area (especially since I wear a watch and do want to scratch the MB in this area). Shieldzone's polymer film is definitely one of the strongest and scratch resistant I have seen out there. Applying the large top Macbook film is very difficult (almost impossible I would say).
( Last edited by stevenind; Sep 14, 2007 at 08:07 AM. )

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 04:42 PM

Mine is schedules to be here monday. But today one of my frineds got an ink mark on the side of my macbook. So I use some water to get it off and pushed down pretty hard on the cloth to get the stain out and the stain turned off-white. It is small but kind of wierd how it changed colors. Hopefully the shield will cover it up.

icec0ld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 08:12 PM

here are some pics of mine.... (for reference, i put my ipod and my nano there with shields on them as well, nano only has shield on the screen).

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2006, 08:17 AM

the top was impossible to put on... some on the shield is off to the sides and some of it is off to the bottom. can you take the shield off and re-apply it or is that a bad idea?

canadian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2007, 09:15 PM

Would it still be beneficial to put on if the MB already has some minor scratches on?

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2007, 05:44 AM

I would have to say yes if you want to prevent further scratches.
If you are interested I have published a review and am currently giving away one full body set.

kuchiki
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

Forum Links
Forum Rules