Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Scroll wheel scrolling

Scroll wheel scrolling
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 09:49 AM

I've only been using OSX for a week now and I've been looking all over for a way to set OSX to scroll one line at a time instead of 12 or so with a scroll wheel. I have the Intellidrivers loaded along with USB Overdrive. I set Overdrive to scroll up/down one line at a time, but it doesn't seem to work. Surely someone has a way?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2005, 09:54 AM

What mouse/trackball are you using?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 10:09 AM

The mouse wheel usually scrolls about one line. Maybe the fact that you have two additional mouse drivers installed has something to do with your problem. Why did you do that?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2005, 02:14 PM

Without any particular drivers installed, the Logitech mouse on this computer scrolls just one line at a time. (per wheel notch)

Try disabling either software, or both?

J

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 05:24 PM

I'm using an Intellimouse Optical 1.1. I uninstalled the Microsoft driver and got the USBOverdrive to work but even if I set the scroll to 1 line at a time, it scrolls three and that seems to be the best I can find.

*update* It appears that only Firefox (and probably some others) scrolls three lines at a time whereas Finder and Safari scroll one. I'm assuming this is a Carbon issue?
( Last edited by sieb; Jan 28, 2005 at 05:32 PM. )
Sieb
Blackbook

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by sieb:
*update* It appears that only Firefox (and probably some others) scrolls three lines at a time whereas Finder and Safari scroll one. I'm assuming this is a Carbon issue?
The Finder is Carbon; Safari is Cocoa. Both work correctly. So how is this a Carbon issue?

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 06:18 PM

Both work correctly. So how is this a Carbon issue?
I've only been using a mac for a week so I don't know the difference, I just read on the USBOverdrive page that some carbon apps don't support wheel scrolling properly.
Sieb
Blackbook

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by sieb:
I've only been using a mac for a week so I don't know the difference, I just read on the USBOverdrive page that some carbon apps don't support wheel scrolling properly.
I'm sorry. I thought you were one of the Cocoa zealots.

Carbon supports the mouse wheel very well with Carbon Events. Carbon Events are new in Mac OS X, so some Carbon applications ported over from OS 9 might not yet support them, but almost all do now these days.

The issue is probably unique to Firefox or the Mozilla browsers. It's unrelated to Carbon.

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2005, 06:26 PM

The issue is probably unique to Firefox or the Mozilla browsers. It's unrelated to Carbon.
Cool, I am thinking the same thing now that everything but Firefox seems to scroll correctly. Thanks!
Sieb
Blackbook

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 06:25 AM

The 'Advanced' prefs in Firefox have settings called 'auto scrolling' and 'smooth scrolling' that, for me, seem to increase the scroll rate when turned on.

J

Forum Links
Forum Rules