Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth dies after resume

Bluetooth dies after resume
sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2006, 10:23 AM

Everytime I close my Powerbook to take it somewhere and I had the Bluetooth service running, when I open it back up, SystemUIService locks up making my whole top menu bar unavailable (beachball on mousover). If I disable bluetooth before closing it, the option to turn it back on will be greyed out when I open it back up. In both instances I have to reboot to get everything working again. Am I the only one?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

lars-man
Jan 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

Hi,

I experienced the same problem some days ago. My Bluetooth icon in the menu bar was canceled with a wavy line. Opening the Bluetooth control panel in System Preferences in order to disable and reactivate Bluetooth did not work because the control panel was very, very slow. Therefore I had to reboot the PowerBook, too. But this was the first time and it is not a serious problem to me, since I don't have any Bluetooth devices.

But you don't seem to be alone :-D

Regards, Lars

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 12:36 PM

The only thing that fixed this for me was reinstalling the OS from scratch. It sucked, but it worked.

DL SD 15"

Originally Posted by sieb
Everytime I close my Powerbook to take it somewhere and I had the Bluetooth service running, when I open it back up, SystemUIService locks up making my whole top menu bar unavailable (beachball on mousover). If I disable bluetooth before closing it, the option to turn it back on will be greyed out when I open it back up. In both instances I have to reboot to get everything working again. Am I the only one?

sieb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2006, 03:29 PM

Yes, reinstalling took care of this and it hasn't been a problem until this week with the new Bluetooth/.4.4 update, as I knew it would. :/
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2006, 04:51 AM

So reinstalling really worked? I'm faced with this issue kinda regularly. I'm not sure how often it happens as I often go without Bluetooth for many days at a time until I'm prepared to restart. It's so inconvenient to have to do so because I make extensive use of my browsers' multiple tab features to set up an environment, etc.

*sigh*
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

b33faroni
Feb 25, 2006, 02:58 PM

yea every once in a while when i wake my computer from sleep the bluetooth icon is grayed out and it wont let me turn it back on in system prefrences until I reboot. Hope theres another solution someone finds incase mine happens more often

Forum Links
Forum Rules