Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3 Questions About MacBooks

3 Questions About MacBooks
ncmason
Apr 1, 2007, 09:08 PM

1. Does the Black MacBook have a plastic or aluminum case?

2. Will the MacBook run Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator, or will there be problems?

3. Can I upgrade the Video RAM?

Thanks,
Mason

cherry su
Apr 1, 2007, 09:13 PM

Simple
1. Plastic.
2. Yes.
3. No.

Detailed:
1. The black has a matte feel to it. The white ones are glossy.
2. CS3 will be much faster than CS2. Rosetta emulation generally is hell if you don't have lots of RAM.
3. No, the MacBook has an integrated chip. It will use 80MB of the RAM.
MacBook Pro T2500/1.5GB/100GB/256MB  iPod 20GB B&W  Mac mini 1.25/256MB/40GB/32MB  Dell 2.66/2GB/80GB/Intel Extreme Gfx

ncmason
Apr 1, 2007, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I will choose the MacBook over the MacBook Pro because it will run Adobe apps and it has a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Mason

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 10:15 PM

Actually, the more RAM you install, the more RAM the integrated graphics chip can use. So it's more like you can indirectly increase the memory.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

ncmason
Apr 1, 2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the tip on increasing RAM. I'm going to wait for Apple to release a new MacBook with 128MB of Video RAM, for now I'm just gonna use my handy-dandy 17" Intel Core Duo iMac.

Thanks again,
Mason

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 1, 2007, 11:04 PM

Well really the MB doesn't have VRAM, it has regular RAM, a chunk of which is set aside for video operations. That said, the current system can set aside up to 128MB. It is, however, unlikely that the MacBook will receive a dedicated video card with its own separate VRAM for the foreseeable future, as this is one of the key distinctions between the MB and MBP. Depending which 17" model of iMac you're on, your system may actually be doing exactly the same thing right now (main memory serving as video memory).

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 01:20 AM

you'd better have some patience if you're waiting for a macbook with 128MB of Video RAM
truth be told, it really doesn't matter anyway, performance is super fast if you upgrade your RAM.
...unless you want to play new games or run heavy 3d graphics apps, then you really should be looking at a MBP, integrated graphics suck for these. if you're thinking of buying a macbook, now is a good time. the C2D kicks ass (i have a basic 1.83GHz with 1.25GB of RAM and it screams even at that level) and the next revision, santa rosa, isn't likely to release in the very near future... buy one, upgrade the ram, and smile
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

ncmason
Apr 2, 2007, 06:55 AM

Thank you guys for your input on the MacBook. I think I have narrowed down my choices for purchasing my second Mac. It will be the MacBook because it will run Photoshop/Illustrator just fine and it has a nice price. I truly appreciate the help.

Thanks again,
Mason

Forum Links
Forum Rules