Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > RAM upgrade for 7600/132

RAM upgrade for 7600/132
madoka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2000, 11:54 AM

I own a 7600/132 that still have a lot of life in it, and I want to upgrade its memory from the current 64 MB to 192 MB. I have two memory slots left.

I was surprised by the RAM prices, however. A 64 MB module from Outpost.com will cost me over $300! Yet, when I looked at PCMall, a 168 Pin 64 MB module costs only $98. The only problem is that PCMall lists that module as compatible with "Linux," which doesn't make sense: Linux doesn't care what memory module you're using. Other than that, I see no reason why it wouldn't work on my 7600.

Is there something I've overlooked? Any comments is appreciated.
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it�s longer than any hour. That�s relativity.
-- Albert Einstein

B.I.L
Jul 7, 2000, 02:52 PM

I can't answer your technical question exactly, but I can help you find some good deals. Try MemoryX.com. I'm looking for RAM for my 7500 and they had 64's as low as $94. I assume that the 7500 and 7600 use the same RAM? That seems to be the cheapest out there for RAM that is sold for use in Macs (not peecee RAM that 'should hopefully work').

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

The Wolfe
Jul 8, 2000, 05:13 AM

try Macseek.com for the best RAM prices. I agree, MemoryX does seem to have very good prices on the 'older' memory types. 7500 memory will work in a 7600. ~100 for 64MB DIMM sounds correct.

good luck!

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

madoka  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2000, 10:58 AM

Thank's alot. I'll check the site out.
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it�s longer than any hour. That�s relativity.
-- Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules