Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't Install Palm Desktop 4.0

Can't Install Palm Desktop 4.0
meetingpeopleiseasy
Mar 10, 2003, 01:57 AM

I cannot install Palm Desktop 4.0 on my tibook running 10.2.4. I have tried numerous time and I get an error saying "Sorry operation could not be completed due to a system error, access denied" What the heck??? Please help me out, I have done everything short of reformatting my machine. I've created a new user(admin even) I've trashed all palm files and started from scratch... Nothing seems to work.
http://www.december9.net

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 07:47 AM

Same Problem here. Anyone?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 10:14 AM

Palm Desktop 4.1 installed and is running fine on my G4 iMac and 12" PowerBook, along with The Missing Sync, which allows me to sync my Sony Clie TJ25 with Panther. No problems whatsoever.

Have you tried 4.1?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 11:02 AM

yes. 4.1 I used to work with it before, but since my upgrade to panther i can not install it.

However, I think it will work fine once it is installed. It just keeps giving me access denied instead of giving me the admin Login Window.

I tried to start the app with sudo from terminal, but there was no effekt. It is just like the installer does not authenticate correct with OS X 10.3.

Any Idea to force this?

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 11:40 AM

I've had the same problem on my 17" iMac with Palm Desktop 4.1 after installing panther.

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 11:42 AM

How did you fix it?

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2003, 11:48 AM

To fix this problem, enable the root user, sign on as the root user, and install Palm Desktop as the root user.

all will go well.

You can then sign off and sign back on with your regular log-on and successfully use Palm Desktop.
cpac

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 12:08 PM

<stupidmode>
How do I do that? Sorry, could you give me clue how to handle this
</stupidmode>

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by big fox:
<stupidmode>
How do I do that? Sorry, could you give me clue how to handle this
</stupidmode>
no problem.

It's in the built-in help if you forget, but basically you need to open NetInfo Manager, select "Enable root user" from the Security menu, assign a password, log out, log in (user name "root" and password, whatever you assigned), run the Palm Desktop Installer, log out, and log in as yourself.
cpac

big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 06:48 AM

Great! This did the trick. Although the installer still finished with an error, offering me a reinstallation. When starting Hotsync I got an Application Error. Rats.

Solution was (somewhere in this forum) to Copy the
Library>CFMSupport>Hotsync Libraries
(one file) from my previous Systemfolder to the actual System folder.

After that Hotsync started up again. Can�t wait to test if it actually syncs, but I am quite certain that it will work.

Thanks to all
Volker

Robe
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 09:06 AM

I had the same problem - I actually started another thead about it and got an answer last week or so.

Try using the program pseudo - I am not good with posting a link, but I a sure you can search for it. It worked for me for all Palm add on software as well - Docs to go, Flemaker Mobile etc..

Robe

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Robe:
I had the same problem - I actually started another thead about it and got an answer last week or so.

Try using the program pseudo - I am not good with posting a link, but I a sure you can search for it. It worked for me for all Palm add on software as well - Docs to go, Flemaker Mobile etc..

Robe
I second pseudo. all you do is drag and drop the installer over the window of pseudo.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5620

Oneota
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 09:04 PM

Also make sure you're running the installer from the HD and not from a server volume. A lot of installers don't like being run from the network.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

DietProZac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2004, 03:49 PM

I love MacNN- I just started having this problem today and after a 2 minute search you folks had the answer. Pseudo worked for me. Thanks!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 09:57 PM

Palm has a permissions fixer you can download.

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...ons_fixer.html

Apparently iSync botches the permissions�

BasiaMille
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 02:06 AM

Hi all,

I just got a Handspring Visor Prism as a gift, and I want to plug it in to my G4 MDD with 10.3.7.

The Palm Desktop installer fails at about 755 items in (out of 791), then asks if I want to try again. Of course, by that time, there's a lot of unusable crap (eg, a Hotsync manager that won't launch because of a sharing violation) in my applications folder that I go ahead and delete.

Now, I have tried logging in as root.

I have tried the Permissions Fixer. (in addition to Disk First Aid's own repairs)

I even just tried Pseudo.

NONE of these options work. The worst insult was being told yesterday evening that a Palm tech would call me tonight, at 9pm PST. It has been over an hour, and no call. I called them, of course, to check on them, but their office is closed.

When will the Palm Desktop be compatible with OSX 10.3.7? It certainly isn't yet...

Carthago Delinda Est,

CS

ChrisF
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 02:26 AM

Now this is an old thread that's been dredged up...
What version of Palm Desktop are you trying to use? I'm using 4.2.1 just fine with iSync to my Tungsten T5 on 10.3.7.
If you don't have PD 4.2.1, download that and try again.

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 11:13 AM

BasiaMille,

I too have a Handspring Visor and found that Handspring Palm Desktop v4.0 is the ideal product. At the time I got my Visor, the guidance was to use only the Handspring software as the Palm software was not really compatible.

I have no problems with v4.0 on my DP 800 and PB G4/433, both running 10.3.7.

Yeah, the newer software has more "features," but if you just need to sync calendar, address book, to-do lists, notes, etc., then all should be well.

Handspring v4.0 is available at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/palm/5501
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2005, 12:04 PM

Maybe needless to say... but, additionally, remember that if you want all the extras that come with the original install CD included with the Palm OS cellphone/handheld, you must first install the included Palm Desktop from the CD (usually a slightly older version), and then optionally update it to the newest version, in the same location, with the new downloaded installer.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

BasiaMille
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2005, 12:40 AM

The Versiontracker link is dead.

Does anyone have the old Handspring software, or, failing that, a working installer for Palm Desktop 4.0?

CDE,

CS

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2005, 08:51 AM

I think (hope) this is it:
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...esktop_40.html

Please let us know if this works.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

BasiaMille
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2005, 10:19 PM

After a week of back-and-forth with Palm phone support (they even hung up on me a couple of times!), I finally got the Palm Desktop running.

Here's what I had to do:

1. Make sure I had the latest Stuffit Expander from Stuffit.com
2. Expand the compressed desktop file (I didn't see the need to re-download it, YMMV)
3. Install "Custom": First the Desktop App, then the Hotsync. If either part fails, try it again, according to Palm. With each reinstall, they say it should get closer to completing, then getting the job done. They say that's part of a bug with Mac OS. I doubt it, but that's what I did.

It now works fine.

Why can't Apple just make their own PDA and have its equivalent OS, the way Windows does?

CDE,

CS

Forum Links
Forum Rules